Texas SOT

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    So far, I got my #5 container! Do you have a dedicated toaster oven for baking the coatings on or do you use the family oven?

I may have things figured out for loading the 9mm lead bullets but I'll have to shoot and see.
    You dont want to eat out of that oven after you use it for powder coating... It has a distinct smell. Are you close to San Antonio? I have a new oven and can give you my old one if you want it? I'll give you a little bit of powder, too, if you want.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Apparently, it’s good.

Now to make some bullets for the range.

Attachments

• BED50AD3-755A-4245-8E96-FEF02CF48B58.jpeg
      BED50AD3-755A-4245-8E96-FEF02CF48B58.jpeg
      802.6 KB · Views: 367
    • C97B9A4D-B72B-4B04-96CD-AAB2E65CF59E.jpeg
      C97B9A4D-B72B-4B04-96CD-AAB2E65CF59E.jpeg
      788.5 KB · Views: 381

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Mikey, load some dummies and plunk in barrel to make sure they fit. Keep one that does fit to reset your seater if needed. I seat ~ 20 thous. off the lands to make sure heavy PC on nose still fits. Slight bell on case mouth to make seating easier, then taper crimp. 4gr WST under 130gr is a nice load from my XDs 9.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Yes sir, I thought about that. I have about 20/25 loaded and am heading to the range this morning.

I was hoping Deavis would venture in on this but I guess I may have to go direct!

I read some great stuff about TG on arf yesterday so I'm anxious to get this(9mm lead cast)nailed down so I can move forward.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Personally I hate TiteBoom.

It has a very narrow load range, small changes in bullet seating depth can lead to huge pressure increases, and due to how fast it burns it can increase leading.

Unless you're loading the EXACT same boolit the Lyman OAL is worthless. There can be large variations of boolits of the same weight.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Mikey, load some dummies and plunk in barrel to make sure they fit. Keep one that does fit to reset your seater if needed. I seat ~ 20 thous. off the lands to make sure heavy PC on nose still fits. Slight bell on case mouth to make seating easier, then taper crimp. 4gr WST under 130gr is a nice load from my XDs 9.

WST is truly a sleeper powder in the 9mm. That 4 gr of WST under a 125-130 is an AWESOME load. It functions everything I've ran it in, it's very accurate with the boolit I'm using, and it burns pretty clean.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Rounds ran well, aside from the one that fell apart as I was loading the mag. Accurate, light to no leading, I will load more but am looking to. I've to powder coating next.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Personally I hate TiteBoom.

It has a very narrow load range, small changes in bullet seating depth can lead to huge pressure increases, and due to how fast it burns it can increase leading.

Unless you're loading the EXACT same boolit the Lyman OAL is worthless. There can be large variations of boolits of the same weight.

I have two pounds of it so it's what I have to work with.

Reactions: rp-

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Use what you got. Unless you are loading 450bm and don't have mag powder. Then wait til you have mag powder.

On a side note I just found an 8 pounder of mag powder for my 450bm.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Yes sir, I thought about that. I have about 20/25 loaded and am heading to the range this morning.

I was hoping Deavis would venture in on this but I guess I may have to go direct!

I read some great stuff about TG on arf yesterday so I'm anxious to get this(9mm lead cast)nailed down so I can move forward.

You mean like these?

20200304_120833.jpg

Titegroup is a fantastic powder, you can use it in about every handgun cartridge out there. Position insensitive, easy to ignite even in large cases, and economical. There is a reason the OBP242/244/248 powders are used in large quantities commercially.

Most lead 9mm have a shorter transition than FMJ and TMJs, similar to some 147s that won't clear the leade on pistols cut tightly. Dont be afraid, seating down to 1.080 isnt unusual, some guys run 1.060.

Attachments

• 20200304_120833.jpg
      20200304_120833.jpg
      1.4 MB · Views: 350

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    But what concerns me is why the book says 1.11OAL if it doesn't matter.

As they're loaded now there really isn't any leading but if I seat them with the whole shank in it's going to jack up the pressure pretty good, right?
    Do you suggest I drop below start listing? I've done this before when I found my quiet load with CFEp but had quite a bit of experience with that AND I was using a PC'd bullet.

And I'll be going there soon? Screw this lube chit!

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    If you're at starting load and you seat to 1.100 you'll still be fine. Seating deeper increase pressure. Increasing powder also increases pressure. So make sure you start at the starting load. Maybe check your data against other data. Sometimes you'll see huge differences from mfg to mfg.

It was a 120gr bullet over titegroup powder, right?

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    So there I was....swaging 300 Blackout brass, with all four tumblers running full of pistol brass and the phone rings.

My shooting buddy wants to know if I want to hit the range.

Hell yeah! I pack the truck and run to the range. He got there before me and has already picked up a large amount of brass.

We set up and the first thing I do is sight in my new 300 Blackout build.

I get it dialed in and at 25 yards, with a red dot, I putting the rounds into one ragged hole. Not bad for a 8" barrel pistol build with some random reloads.

We shoot some pistols then I put a new red dot on the Ruger Carbine. I get that sighted in. It's so accurate it's not funny.

We police the range, pack up and catch a burger on the way home.

Not a bad day.

Top Bottom