Target Sports

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I must have had to tell people that we were out of 9mm ammo 100 times today, at least.

How hard has it become to get reloading supplies? Is it still easy to get bullets, casings, etc.?

I'm thinking maybe it's time for me to take the step.

I work at a gun shop and can get ammo pretty cheap. But, that doesn't do me any good when there's no ammo to buy.
    One thing I can tell you is you’ll never have what you need if you don’t get started. It’s easy for you to use the 32 stuff to justify the expense of jumping in. I used 44 Mag as my justification, and then used 45-70 as my justification to expand the process.
    DK Firearms

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Except I was going to dip my toe in with my 32cal since it's so expensive to buy. And, now it looks like I need 9mm, 380acp, 32acp, AND 32s&wlong. All at once.

Where do I buy all this stuff?!

Pick one and go from there.

.380 can a bit cantankerous to start with (small case size/small changes can make larger pressure issues.)

9mm would be a good place to start. Once fired brass is cheap. Bullets are plentiful and doesn’t take a lot of powder.

You can start with a single stage press and later it is still good for many purposes. Main thing is learn each stage of the process so when you move to a progressive you understand what is happening at each station.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I almost ordered a press a few weeks ago. But, my head is still swimming with all the details I need to know.

I can see where I can get some of the supplies. But, I'm not even sure if they're the right things. Right now, focusing on components might be better than on the press and dies. Those will always be there.

I just picked a bad time to get into reloading.
    You need to read the first half of this book too:

upload_2020-3-18_7-11-46.jpeg

I read it multiple times while I was collecting stuff.

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-18_7-11-46.jpeg
      upload_2020-3-18_7-11-46.jpeg
      8 KB · Views: 261

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Except I was going to dip my toe in with my 32cal since it's so expensive to buy. And, now it looks like I need 9mm, 380acp, 32acp, AND 32s&wlong. All at once.

Where do I buy all this stuff?!

Call 800-223-4570 Tell them what cartridges you want to load. They will set you up with all the hardware.

Then go to https://www.starlinebrass.com/ and buy the brass you need.

Then go to https://bayoubullets.net/ and order the bullets you need.

Now scrounge around and find powder and primers. They are getting scarce right now.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Is this what I should be buying? Is this the best/worst price?
    View attachment 205456

Take a deep breath. If you want to reload now, source small pistol primers and powder first. It would be convenient if you can find one powder that’s sufficient for all your calibers.

If you want to collect components now and can be patient (possibly for a long time) for primers and powder, then disregard.

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Call 800-223-4570 Tell them what cartridges you want to load. They will set you up with all the hardware.

Then go to https://www.starlinebrass.com/ and buy the brass you need.

Then go to https://bayoubullets.net/ and order the bullets you need.

Now scrounge around and find powder and primers. They are getting scarce right now.
    Thanks.

I don't want to go to work, not until I do this. But, I have to go.

And, spend another day telling people that we can't get ammo right now.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    For bullets I like Precision Bullets. In mailmans back yard. Price is shipped price. Plus tax

https://precisionbullets.com/product/9mm-125-rn/

I just ordered 1k 124gr 9mm and 1k 230gr 45, $201.88 delivered to my door, probably Fri from past experience.

+1
    Precision bullets used to make some in .44 I used to buy.
    Great bullets and handled 44mag velocities and pressure with no issue. I still have some of those and may have some 230gr ball for .45acp.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    That works.

CCI, Winchester, Federal, Remington are all great. Some are comfortable using the Russian brand (dont recall name) but i've never used them.

If you can, pick a brand and stick with that brand for a particular load.

I use Rem BR primers for my target rifle loads, CCI for all other rifle loads, Winchester for most pistol loads. Whichever you pick, just be consistent.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Thanks.

I don't want to go to work, not until I do this. But, I have to go.

And, spend another day telling people that we can't get ammo right now.

I bet there are a few near SA that can hook you up on powder if you can't find any down there. Most of us have a good bit and would not mind sharing a pound. I have several, but like the AA#5 for my 9mm loads. Unique, Bullseye, AA#2, Nitro 100 and a few others will work too.

Good info here:
    https://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/WPHandloading-Guide-7.0-Web-REV.pdf

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I may have some cheap pistol powder in SA if you are interested. Just let me know.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    That works.

CCI, Winchester, Federal, Remington are all great. Some are comfortable using the Russian brand (dont recall name) but i've never used them.

If you can, pick a brand and stick with that brand for a particular load.

I use Rem BR primers for my target rifle loads, CCI for all other rifle loads, Winchester for most pistol loads. Whichever you pick, just be consistent.
    They were out of CCI. I ordered Federal. My very first reloading purchase.

Top Bottom