ARJ Defense ad

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    I forgot I was talking to a woman. Sorry.
    Well, I could be like all the men that are desperate for 9mm ammo that are going online and buying Makarov without realizing that it's the wrong thing.

And, it's not even a female thing. I'm much more extreme than most women about wanting to be exact because I have a very good imagination of all the little details that could be wrong.

My youngest brother used to get so mad when I tutored him in math. He hated having to pay such close attention to the minute details. But, details is what it comes down to.
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

just country

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Texas
    morning, went to the range today. 22-250AI, 7mm Wbee,
    and 6.5 Rem. mag. 55gr. TTSX, 107gr. Lapua match and
    150gr. TSX. all .500 shooters or better. very happy.
    justme gbot tum

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Well, I could be like all the men that are desperate for 9mm ammo that are going online and buying Makarov without realizing that it's the wrong thing.

Heh. "But 9mm is 9mm!!!"

I've asked more than a few stupid questions trying to get reloading figured out. Don't blame you for wanting to make sure you get it right. Returning primers isn't exactly easy.

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Ok. Besides primers, I've bought bullets for 32 acp and 9 mm to get started.

Next, what powder(s) would work well for for these calibers?

And, the book "Lee Precision Modern Reloading" was mentioned. Is that the best book to start with?

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Probably. Also if you can find it cheap “ABCs of reloading”. I’ve never read it and I still have all my fingers!

I started reloading in the early 90s and felt my way through.

do you have a press, or access to one?

I think rp- will be a good resource/helpful for you.

Ask lots of questions.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I gave myself two great big honking blisters yesterday. I went out and started trimming 300 Blackout brass. I got around 1000 rounds done. I use a WFT II on my 1/2" drill.

Well that damn brass is short enough that you have to hold it by the rim. Now I have one HUGE blister on my right thumb and a smaller one on my right index finger.

Damnit.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Ok. Besides primers, I've bought bullets for 32 acp and 9 mm to get started.

Next, what powder(s) would work well for for these calibers?

And, the book "Lee Precision Modern Reloading" was mentioned. Is that the best book to start with?

Having a couple of different manuals to compare data is not a bad idea either. I have Hornady and the Lyman manuals and like them both.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    For the cartridges she's thinking of loading the min/max spread is too narrow. Also for a new reloader the chance of double charging a case goes up. With Tite Boom those double charges can be hard to see.
    I agree for the 32s. I actually liked the case fill for 9 and 380 using titegroup. I'll still use it but I have a metric shit ton of lovex powder still

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Check out my post below. I was able to get some CFE Pistol with no shipping cost from Academy by doing a $25 purchase with no hazmat or shipping cost. They may have it in house at your local Academy. They usually carry some primers too but you bought Federal which are good. You are at about the toughest time to get into the hobby supply wise. When the panic clears that is the time to buy. One pound of powder can usually load several thousand pistol caliber rounds.
    Make sure you buy the right powder for the rounds and bullets that you have. Lead and FMJ require different loads and possible powders. Berry's plated usually use lead loads (not FMJ) as much as I can tell. Follow the manuals and there is plenty of data online at the company websites. If it says small pistol primer I buy any brand. Do not buy the primers in strips unless you have a press that uses them. For shotgun reloading you MUST NOT switch primer brands. Note also that there are regular and magnum primers and don't use magnum unless called for. Winchester large pistol primers the company says can be used for regular or magnum, so they say. Everyone else seems to have different primers for large pistol regular and magnum. Have fun. Make sure you use safety glasses and possibly hearing protection. I personally don't touch primers with my fingers, wear gloves. Wash your hands after reloading.

https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/academy-powder-and-primers.96489/#post-2052887

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    For perspective, there’s 7000 grains to a pound. I plan 5 grains for 9mm, even though my load data is 4.3 gr for the load I shoot the most. For each pound of that powder, I can load 1400ish rounds (7000/5), that takes 1500 projectiles and 1500 primers.

Makes it easy to ensure I’ve got enough components on hand.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    For perspective, there’s 7000 grains to a pound. I plan 5 grains for 9mm, even though my load data is 4.3 gr for the load I shoot the most. For each pound of that powder, I can load 1400ish rounds (7000/5), that takes 1500 projectiles and 1500 primers.

Makes it easy to ensure I’ve got enough components on hand.

They said there wouldn't math on this thread....

I'm not good with numbers.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I gave myself two great big honking blisters yesterday. I went out and started trimming 300 Blackout brass. I got around 1000 rounds done. I use a WFT II on my 1/2" drill.

Well that damn brass is short enough that you have to hold it by the rim. Now I have one HUGE blister on my right thumb and a smaller one on my right index finger.

Damnit.

THose blue gloves with the black coating on the palm work pretty well for that. 1/2" yikes. I use my cordless drill.

Top Bottom