ARJ Defense ad

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Make sure you use safety glasses and possibly hearing protection. I personally don't touch primers with my fingers, wear gloves. Wash your hands after reloading.

They said there wouldn't be rules in this thread.

I'm no good with rules.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Guns International

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Friend was having some funky pressure issues which we've basically narrowed down to not enough nk clearance. So I took some brass did some measuring and turned a few pieces for him.
    e8d4542dd2b6c8e457a1b8412b3bd30c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• e8d4542dd2b6c8e457a1b8412b3bd30c.jpg
      e8d4542dd2b6c8e457a1b8412b3bd30c.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 390

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I bought a piece of test equipment several years ago, weighed 80 lbs and in a big box. Think ~ 30x30x20. The UPS driver is a scrawny lady that don't probably weigh 110 lb with lead in her pockets. She grabbed that box out of the truck and walked it in the shop with no problem. I made a mental note not to piss her off.

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    I'd still recommend just buying the Lee single stage kit. It pretty much has everything but dies and a tumbler. I use a cheap tumbler from academy that cost me about $30.

What I really want is the Lee 4-Hole Deluxe Turret Press Kit. But, I'm unsure of where I could set up a regular press.

OK. I talked to my SIL. He says he has the wood and the C-clamps to set up this if I want it:
    https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Va...909284&qid=1584683069&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1

I do love the idea of a turret press.

I'm just a bit nervous that my daughter will have a fit when she sees that monstrosity in her house.

Last edited:

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I second the four stage Lee turret. If you have the cash I would recommend the classic cast press. It will last longer so you won't be repurchasing a press in a couple of years!

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I've never used a Lee FCD in a handgun cartridge. Most of what I've read about them is that they will swage down lead bullets to a less than ideal diameter which can cause accuracy and leading problems. Some swear by the die, most seem to say it covers up mistakes in the loading process.

I use a Lyman 4 die set with a separate taper crimp die for 45 ACP. This separates the bullet seating and crimping operation into 2 separate steps so I'm not trying to time the crimp just right with the bullet seating. My loads seem to run just fine without needing a FCD.

With the 3 die set you're finding, you will do your crimp as you seat the bullet. Many seem to make that work just fine but there is a bit more trial and error to get there and it can be less forgiving if your case lengths vary much.

You could get the 3 die set and then a separate crimping die from any manufacturer to do the crimping in a separate stage, especially if you go with the Lee turret press.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    But, the 4 turret press is cast iron too. What makes the classic cast press better?
    One is thicker metal and has a bigger ram (.75" vs 1.125" I think)

I second the four stage Lee turret. If you have the cash I would recommend the classic cast press. It will last longer so you won't be repurchasing a press in a couple of years!
    Honestly, she's only doing small pistol calibers. 9 will be the hardest out of the 4 because it's not straight walled. I think even a c-frame press will last her a lifetime with those rounds.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    What makes the classic cast press better?

Personal opinion mainly. Depends what people prefer. Some swear you must start on a single stage. Single stage is generally regarded as being able to make more accurate precision ammunition but will be slower to do higher volume processing.

I'm primarily interested in making handgun ammunition and rounds for my M-1 so I'm wasn't looking for high precision. I skipped the single stage and went right to a Lyman turret press.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I've never used a Lee FCD in a handgun cartridge. Most of what I've read about them is that they will swage down lead bullets to a less than ideal diameter which can cause accuracy and leading problems. Some swear by the die, most seem to say it covers up mistakes in the loading process.

I use a Lyman 4 die set with a separate taper crimp die for 45 ACP. This separates the bullet seating and crimping operation into 2 separate steps so I'm not trying to time the crimp just right with the bullet seating. My loads seem to run just fine without needing a FCD.

With the 3 die set you're finding, you will do your crimp as you seat the bullet. Many seem to make that work just fine but there is a bit more trial and error to get there and it can be less forgiving if your case lengths vary much.

You could get the 3 die set and then a separate crimping die from any manufacturer to do the crimping in a separate stage, especially if you go with the Lee turret press.

There are two factory crimp dies. The collet crimp die works like a champ. The CARBIDE factory crimp die sizes the entire cartridge down to SAAMI spec.

AFAIK the Lee four die sets come with the collet crimp die and not the CARBIDE die.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I bought a piece of test equipment several years ago, weighed 80 lbs and in a big box. Think ~ 30x30x20. The UPS driver is a scrawny lady that don't probably weigh 110 lb with lead in her pockets. She grabbed that box out of the truck and walked it in the shop with no problem. I made a mental note not to piss her off.

Sounds like my HP service monitor...heavy as sin.

Top Bottom