Patriot Mobile

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Put in a super secret order for a bullet sizer from Lee. Picked up more wheel weights from the shop at work.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Venture Surplus ad

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    I bought a bunch of Speer 240gr jhp in 45acp in error. My Lee second edition reloading data listed 240gr jacketed using Accurate 7 at 9.5 starting load to 10.5 max. I am unable to confirm this in the current on-line Accurate data tables.

Sent email requesting their comments but will bet they are suffering this fiasco as we are.

Any comments/technical info will be appreciated. Kinda hoped to use this down time to load this up.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I bought a bunch of Speer 240gr jhp in 45acp in error. My Lee second edition reloading data listed 240gr jacketed using Accurate 7 at 9.5 starting load to 10.5 max. I am unable to confirm this in the current on-line Accurate data tables.

Sent email requesting their comments but will bet they are suffering this fiasco as we are.

Any comments/technical info will be appreciated. Kinda hoped to use this down time to load this up.
    Alliant didn't list data for 240gr. Lee and accurate are both free online though. All the manuals are downloadable online for free

Edit: apparently I can't attach a clear high def picture via Tapatalk...

LEE lists 240gr w aa7 starting at 9.5 up to 10.5 max seated to 2.215"

Accurate doesn't list a 240 but they do list several 230gr and 250gr loads.

ATTACH=full]209748[/ATTACH]ATTACH=full]209749[/ATTACH]

ATTACH=full]209752[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 7a7d844fcf3737d02fc5c28976750eec.jpg
      7a7d844fcf3737d02fc5c28976750eec.jpg
      41.7 KB · Views: 326
    • cbf8a00d473744be69ed68477f2d99e0.jpg
      cbf8a00d473744be69ed68477f2d99e0.jpg
      51 KB · Views: 316
    • 55d2ff884200d1d9a079a5c26db83607.jpg
      55d2ff884200d1d9a079a5c26db83607.jpg
      51 KB · Views: 304
    Last edited:

Chips n Salsa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    Plano

as close as I have, I have been making a 200 gr lead 45 ACP with the Ramshot Silhouette. Ramshot Silhouette is just a bit faster than Accurate 7 on the burn rate chart, so I think very similar powders. I am loading my 200 gr lead at 7.8 grains. That's a mostly full power load but don't have chrono data.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Got some dies in for 10mm and 7.62russian. I can use x39 Russian but I'm betting they're x54russian which might give me a reason to buy another mosin some time.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Well I did it. I used my money from the gas app and used it to buy myself a free Frankford wet tumbler. My brass is already sized and was already mostly clean from an overnight corncob party. After I'm done with the prep I wanna toss it in a see how it looks.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    It's not so much about shinier brass. Its mostly about being able to clean more brass faster. I'm also kinda getting sick of that corncob cloud when I dump the tumbler into the strainer to separate it. Plus, free. So, ya, I'll give it a try.

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    I have all my basic reloading stuff together. Four boxes full sitting at work waiting to be used.

Well, actually 3 boxes full. I brought one box home with me this weekend. With all the preparing to move to a new house going on, I don't feel quite up to going in full force.

This weekend I'm going to just sort, de-prime, and prime my brass. I didn't bring home any powder or bullets yet. One baby step at a time.

The house we were looking at originally turned out to not pass inspection. But, we're closing on another house. It passed inspection already. We're just waiting for the FHA to do their inspection and valuation. It's getting exciting.

But, no reloading cubby in the garage with this house. So, I'll have to work with what space I can find inside the house. Hey, I don't like the heat outside anyway.

Dancing Heretik

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 8, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a couple of questions.

I keep hearing about blue bullets. Are they about the same as the Acme red bullets? I was thinking about using the red bullets for my 32 s&w long. That's the only caliber I haven't bought bullets for yet.

And I always hear people talk about using a chronograph in testing out new loads. But, what do you do if you don't have anyplace to use one? I don't think many ranges would let me use a chronograph.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse

I keep hearing about blue bullets. Are they about the same as the Acme red bullets? I was thinking about using the red bullets for my 32 s&w long. That's the only caliber I haven't bought bullets for yet.

And I always hear people talk about using a chronograph in testing out new loads. But, what do you do if you don't have anyplace to use one? I don't think many ranges would let me use a chronograph.
    My chronograph is awaiting repairs but chrony is apparent closed due to stupid pandemic... When it's fixed you can probably use it. I have used it at Lonestar handgun. That's the best range I've been to around here and highly recommend.

Blue bullets, red bullets, they're all just lead bullets coated with a enamel of some sort. Both pretty much equal. Either will work fine for you.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman

That seems REALLY hot. Are you sure it's a 240 gr bullet?

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    My Lee data says the same thing for aa7 with a 240gr.

Aa7, 240gr JHP 9.5-10.5 2.215"

Accurate data for comparison: (no 240gr listed)
    230gr rem GS 8.5-10.0 1.225"
    230gr XTP 9.5-10.5 2.230"

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

You don't really need a chronograph until you get serious about specialized disciplines.

For most rounds as long as it cycles the action and groups respectably you are good. For most handguns I want my loads to feel like factory ammo too.

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas

Yeah, I prefer loading with 230 and use a favorite ball powder. Bought a bunch of 240 by mistake and the load recommended in Lee raised my curiosity so contacted Accurate but wasn't expecting a fast reply. BUT their reply came within 12 hours (good CS imo) copy attached:

Kenneth,
    We did not test that weight of bullet in the 45 ACP. But yes the load data from the Lee “Modern Reloading” book is safe to use.
    Don W.
    CSR
    Western Powders Inc.
    406-234-0422

Any thoughts you have appreciated......

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    A chronograph is a very useful tool that I used seldomly! My old school Oelher P 35 needs to be passed onto someone who reloads like I use to
    Reloading is the only way I can shoot as much as I like to. I mess with a lot of loads and powders just because they are out there. I do think that knowing anything and everything about a loads speed and consistency is not only important, but adds to the fun./

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Reloading is the only way I can shoot as much as I like to. I mess with a lot of loads and powders just because they are out there. I do think that knowing anything and everything about a loads speed and consistency is not only important, but adds to the fun./
    I used my chronograph more for building hand loads from existing loads. I was making MK262 bootleg ammo when it was nowhere to be found.

Top Bottom