APOD Firearms

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Found my lubrisized rounds loaded so need to test.

Also, how many times are yall coating your boolits? Mine, signal yellow, have less than complete coverage.
    Gun Zone Deals

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Parts are here and my IF mount is due today so I'm about to get it in gear!

If you look at youtube those guys are getting some speed going. Hell, I got some speed going on my Lee junk metal turret.

Both my buddies with both Dillons say the next one will be another 550 for the other primer size!

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Finished tumbling the rest of my .357 brass. Started a batch of .38 and then left for lunch.

I really like this Berry's tumbler kit I bought. Capful of the polish in the media, a dash of mineral spirits and then run for a couple of hours and the brass is great.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    When. I got my FA wet tumbler it came with a sample of cleaning solution but it broke open and got all over everything. I emailed them because I'm an asshole and complained. They finally emailed me and they're gonna send me a while bottle of the stuff when it's in stock again.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    It was like blue dawn poured on everything. It cleaned up easy but it was quite an annoyance.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Got my midsize(7.5")mount only to find out I need to drill new holes! not too bad but it's going through 1/8" steel.

After that I'll install the new drive hub on the LNL and start to enjoy things.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Finish running cast 380s back through the press... They were a little long somehow and wouldn't go fully into battery. If I chambered and ejected I could see where it was driving into the lands. Pushed them in another little bit with the seating die and then a little touch from the crimp die. All reboxed up and ready to go.

I still have 350 rounds of played rnfp loads that don't eject. When I put them over a chono they were only like 700 fps... The OAL is all a lot longer on these as well so I'm guessing my seating die was adjusted between test loads and final run. I don't know how it happened but it's quite frustrating to get to the range and your rounds don't work.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Finish running cast 380s back through the press... They were a little long somehow and wouldn't go fully into battery. If I chambered and ejected I could see where it was driving into the lands. Pushed them in another little bit with the seating die and then a little touch from the crimp die. All reboxed up and ready to go.

I still have 350 rounds of played rnfp loads that don't eject. When I put them over a chono they were only like 700 fps... The OAL is all a lot longer on these as well so I'm guessing my seating die was adjusted between test loads and final run. I don't know how it happened but it's quite frustrating to get to the range and your rounds don't work.

Welcome to the world of reloading!

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Welcome to the world of reloading!
    Yep. I had loaded 3 different bullets for the 380 and had pre marked them on the seating die. I'm starting to think instead of tightening down I loosened the seating stem instead.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Busy day today loading up some test rounds. Loaded 5 more loads for the 450 bushmaster to test accuracy, 2 loads of some 40cal gold dots, 2 loads of some 45acp, and 4 loads of 45gap gonna be a busy day at the test range when I get a chance to go there. Hopefully next Sunday I can go.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

ALL that I did in reloading this weekend (IF you call it that??) was look around the WWW for a gang-mold for > 300 grain CB in 9.3x62mm Mauser. = FOUND ZILCH.

yours, satx

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    To All,

ALL that I did in reloading this weekend (IF you call it that??) was look around the WWW for a gang-mold for > 300 grain CB in 9.3x62mm Mauser. = FOUND ZILCH.

yours, satx

Accurate has a couple of molds that might work.

This one was designed for 9.3x74R

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=37-300C-D.png

This one is a slightly different design

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=37-300L-D.png

If you feel like designing your own, I believe Accurate will make it for you and add it to their catalog. That's probably why they have such an insanely large catalog of mold designs.

I use a NOE 368-285-FN-W3 for my 9.3x57. It's more accurate in my gun than the 270gr Speer semi spitzers. It's not 300gr, but after lube and a gas check, it's probably around 290gr depending on your alloy. I'm hoping to test it out on a buck this year.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/368-9-3mm/368-285-fn-w3/368-285-fn-w3-4-cavity-gc

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Maverick 44,

The 37-300B is exactly what I want but NOBODY seems to have a 4-6 cavity mold IN STOCK. = It weighs about 310-15 grains with gas check installed (depending on the alloy) & it is a KILLER at 1800-2000FPS on anything short of a T-Tex.
    (My little brother, who has forgotten more about handloading than most "experts" know, says that that design ON HEAVY GAME expends virtually all of its energy INSIDE the body of the animal & on game of about 500# or less, it shoots clear through & out the other side of the quarry.)

One vendor said that they MIGHT be able to get me a 6 cavity "maybe by Christmas or sometime after New Years". - The remaining people that I talked to said that it was out of stock & some said they might not get anymore, ever.

My single & double cavity molds are quite SLOW if you are doing a lot of CB loading.

BTW, the #37-300C as a "plain base" CB is near PERFECTION out of a 9.3x57 Mauser if loaded to about 1400FPS on any game that the 9.3x57mm is "enough gun" for.
    (I once, when I was stationed in USAREUR, knew a number of Scandinavian commercial moose & reindeer hunters, who used the "obsolete" 9.3x57mm exclusively as "at woods ranges" out to 100+M it kills cleanly & spoils little saleable meat.- Most of those hunter's shots are made, using hounds, at 50M or less.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Maverick 44,

The 37-300C is exactly what I want but NOBODY seems to have a 4-6 cavity mold IN STOCK. = It weighs about 310-15 grains with gas check installed (depending on the alloy) & it is a KILLER at 1800-2000FPS on anything short of a T-Tex.
    (My little brother, who has forgotten more about handloading than most "experts" know, says that that design ON HEAVY GAME expends virtually all of its energy INSIDE the body of the animal & on game of about 500# or less, it shoots clear through & out the other side of the quarry.)

One vendor said that they MIGHT be able to get me a 6 cavity "maybe by Christmas or sometime after New Years". - The remaining people that I talked to said that it was out of stock & some said they might not get anymore, ever.

My single & double cavity molds are quite SLOW if you are doing a lot of CB loading.

BTW, the #37-300C as a "plain base" CB is near PERFECTION out of a 9.3x57 Mauser if loaded to about 1400FPS on any game that the 9.3x57mm is "enough gun" for.
    (I once, when I was stationed in USAREUR, knew a number of Scandinavian commercial moose & reindeer hunters, who used the "obsolete" 9.3x57mm exclusively as "at woods ranges" out to 100+M it kills cleanly & spoils little saleable meat.- Most of those hunter's shots are made, using hounds, at 50M or less.)

yours, satx

Check with Accurate. I believe they make everything to order. It doesn't matter if it's in stock or not (I doubt even 5% of their catalog is in stock). Their site says that their current turn around time is 3 weeks. They'll make up to a 5 cavity mold with their 3.45" mold block.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/moldSpecs.php

I imagine a 300gr bullet at 1400 FPS would be a great game load. That's more or less the same energy as the old 405gr black powder load for 45-70.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I imagine a 300gr bullet at 1400 FPS would be a great game load. That's more or less the same energy as the old 405gr black powder load for 45-70.

Maverick 44,

I'll call Accurate & see what they have to say.

Reference the "obsolete" 9.3x57mm Mauser, developed after WWI to comply with the "NO weapons of war" provisions of the Armistice agreement that OUTLAWED 7.92x57mm ammo & to "freshen" pitted barrels (from corrosive ammo) turned out to be a GREAT "woods caliber" for most any European game.

"Ollie" Knutsen from Norway, who was once a well-known market hunter of moose, reindeer & seals, said that the 9.3x57mm spoiled almost NOTHING saleable, as he tried for head-shots at 20-40m.
    (Blood-shot meat doesn't sell well.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    Loaded up a few 9s this morning while waiting on cloth washer to finish my jeans :(
    5EC54746-DDBC-4E1C-8E35-51D0C50577CC.jpeg

Attachments

• 5EC54746-DDBC-4E1C-8E35-51D0C50577CC.jpeg
      5EC54746-DDBC-4E1C-8E35-51D0C50577CC.jpeg
      1.4 MB · Views: 623
    Top Bottom