ARJ Defense ad

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I tried out a Frankford arsenal pile driver. It broke on the 8th round. I sent it back and they sent me a.new one but I haven't opened it. I picked up an RCBS collet puller and it was pretty neat. Went faster than I expected. I highly recommend it.

If using a hammer puller I dump rounds into a plastic cup and them pick out the bullets before dealing with the powder.

As for the pile driver, well, it's still sitting under my bench. Maybe someday I'll **** with it again. I wasn't impressed though.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I learn the hard way I guess but great idea thanks. I have the RCBS Pow’r Pull kit. Hammer one. It worked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Bought and used a bullet puller to remove bullet from goofed round. The went to retrieve the bullet by gently shaking from the puller over an open powder can plop went the bullet and buried itself in the powder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been there. Use one of the small Lee funnels and it will catch it but let the powder fall into the can.

I made a bunch of empty 224 Valkyrie brass yesterday.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I trimmed a crap ton of .223 cases for my reloading with my x-die. A real pain in the ass but the x-die is suppose to be outstanding so I hope its worth all this BS.

I think I am going to get a case prep station and a chargemaster soon. I have thousands of .223 brass to process and load and doing those two steps manually is making me want to jump off a cliff

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I trimmed a crap ton of .223 cases for my reloading with my x-die. A real pain in the ass but the x-die is suppose to be outstanding so I hope its worth all this BS.

I think I am going to get a case prep station and a chargemaster soon. I have thousands of .223 brass to process and load and doing those two steps manually is making me want to jump off a cliff
    I need details, i am in the same boat. Buckets of brass, bags of 62grain projectiles, jugs of powder and a case of primers.

I have an x die and a 550 press. Im ready to crank out some rounds but need to do the initial trim.

I have a possum hollow Kwick case trimmer for 308 and 260 that works great on a drill, but cant find one for 223.

I have a lee deluxe power trim on the way from midway right now hoping it makes quick work of 223 brass.

What are you trimming with?
    Did you size the cases before you trimmed?

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MTA

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse

I need details, i am in the same boat. Buckets of brass, bags of 62grain projectiles, jugs of powder and a case of primers.

I have an x die and a 550 press. Im ready to crank out some rounds but need to do the initial trim.

I have a possum hollow Kwick case trimmer for 308 and 260 that works great on a drill, but cant find one for 223.

I have a lee deluxe power trim on the way from midway right now hoping it makes quick work of 223 brass.

Google "worlds cheapest trimmer"

It's like $30-35 delivered and attaches to a drill. It's no precision mic trimmer but it'll do more than enough for an x-die to work.

I also have a Frankford arsenal case prep center. Not the one with the trimmer built in but just the one with 4 stations on it. I typically use it to debur, chamfer, ream, and clean pockets. It's a good machine. It's not super high RPMs like a drill is but it gets the job done and it's a hell of a lot easier on the hands.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Google "worlds cheapest trimmer"

It's like $30-35 delivered and attaches to a drill. It's no precision mic trimmer but it'll do more than enough for an x-die to work.

I also have a Frankford arsenal case prep center. Not the one with the trimmer built in but just the one with 4 stations on it. I typically use it to debur, chamfer, ream, and clean pockets. It's a good machine. It's not super high RPMs like a drill is but it gets the job done and it's a hell of a lot easier on the hands.

That is essentially the same thing as the Kwick case trimmer. And i love it. Thanks.

Just need to find one that works with the 223 shoulder.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin

I am using a hornady cam lock

I sized after I trimmed since I figured the x-die would do its thing once it was setup. I didnt see anything telling me to do the reverse, actually the RCBS manual's words suggest that it should be done this way. You may want to review them though

I went with this process: trim -> deburr/chamfer -> size

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I only trim when needed too but the X size die is supposed to stop the case from growing when sized.

Instructions call for an initial trim of .020 below max length ( if memory serve me correctly)

Yep I trimmed to 1.74. Then set the die based on a properly trimmed case.

Admittedly, I dont shoot my ARs alot to see a good amount of benefit from them but the x-die looks like a neat idea.

I got the .308 one as well for my AR10

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Just wandering through YouTube and caught this on primers, and etc. Thought y'all might like to see it too.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin

Dillon RT1500 or whatever it is now with a carbide die. No reason not to trim everytime when you can size in the same step as well. If it trims, it trims.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Got my new Lee delux power trim.
    Sized and trimmed 50x 223 casings.

Preparing for a small batch of 223.

I was pretty impressed with the results, all of the casings measured +-.001, and were nicely chamfered and de-burred.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Only an idiot would pay $300 for 1k of primers. Wow.

It makes sense that factory ammo production is taking priority.

Maybe. Lots of people don't care about the money. If they wanted them badly enough they would pay $300 a primer. There are a lot of very rich people out there.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Picked up a set of 338wm dies from a PIF. Looking at a savage bear hunter.

Check prices on Gunbroker before you do. I was just looking at them today and there are a few 338wms for around $700. Dont be fooled though bc some of the listings are for the bear hunter 116 which is the older model without the accu system

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Picked up a set of 338wm dies from a PIF. Looking at a savage bear hunter.

I have a 338wm Browning BAR i plan on taking on an elk hunt in December.
    I've considered reloading for this caliber.
    Maybe ill shoot it more!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom