Guns International

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Probably wasted bullets and powder, but I did a seating depth test on some 6.5 creedmoor Hornady 140 BTHP with some IMR4350. At .020 off the lands, it was already sub-MOA, but with the inconsistency of bullets sometimes, I wanted to see how they would shoot seated a little deeper. Plus it was a good excuse to go to the range. At .035 from the lands it shot a 5 shot group at .29! Not gonna mess with it anymore!
    b9f5e3b819df7a5715326ccbb0aa8475.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    That’s a great group. And my favorite part of reloading. Tinkering with it till you are pretty sure you can’t get a tighter group. It’s amazing how tight the 6.5CM can group.

I thought my .446” group was tight. You bested that.

retrieverman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2019
    Texas
    I‘ve loaded for 12 ga and 20 ga for about 30 years, and I started loading for 410 last night. I bought the loader and some components from the estate of a friend’s Dad a couple years ago, and I finally decided to give it a try.

It wasn’t as easy as 12 or 20 I guess due to the small case size. I ended up trashing a couple hulls before finally getting it right. My biggest problem was getting the shot to fall through the small tube without hanging up.

If anyone has some tips, I would appreciate it.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I loaded up some test loads with some new alpha brass for my 7-08 last night. I'm starting from scratch with this brass so I can see if I find a new node.

I also looked up some date for the 450bm for a staring point to load some nice 200gr HPs. I found an OAL to start with. Today I'll figure out a charge weight range and load up a few batches.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: MTA

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I loaded up some test loads with some new alpha brass for my 7-08 last night. I'm starting from scratch with this brass so I can see if I find a new node.

I also looked up some date for the 450bm for a staring point to load some nice 200gr HPs. I found an OAL to start with. Today I'll figure out a charge weight range and load up a few batches.

Are you shooting the 450 bm out if a bolt gun or ar? Always looked like a fun round to shoot

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Resized, trimmed and primed some 224 Valkyrie brass.

tumbled and primed 100 6.5CM brass. Twice.

I use Flitz metal polish in my tumbler. Last time it took a long time to get shiny, so when I threw my 6.5 brass in I put more Flitz in the tumbler. I normally put it there without brass in there and let it run to mix it in with my walnut media.

big mistake. That stuff stuck to my brass and stained it. Some cases also had big blobs inside the case. It was almost like tar. I had to take a wet towel and wipe down every case. What a giant pain in the hiney.

I ran them again after wipe down and they look great.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Probably wasted bullets and powder, but I did a seating depth test on some 6.5 creedmoor Hornady 140 BTHP with some IMR4350. At .020 off the lands, it was already sub-MOA, but with the inconsistency of bullets sometimes, I wanted to see how they would shoot seated a little deeper. Plus it was a good excuse to go to the range. At .035 from the lands it shot a 5 shot group at .29! Not gonna mess with it anymore!
    Great shooting Cody.
    You seem to have that rifle load dialed in.
    What was the range distance on this test?

I stopped chasing the lands years ago and focused on shoulder bumps and load consistency.
    My groups are good, but not this good.

Good job. I agree, don't mess with it anymore.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Great shooting Cody.
    You seem to have that rifle load dialed in.
    What was the range distance on this test?

I stopped chasing the lands years ago and focused on shoulder bumps and load consistency.
    My groups are good, but not this good.

Good job. I agree, don't mess with it anymore.

It was at 100 yards. I loaded up 60 rounds of that load the other day, then decided I would shoot another group before I loaded anymore. I had some small primer brass also, so I wanted to make sure I would get the same results with that. So I took the rifle out again today. Shot 3 five shot groups, one with the small primer brass, and the other 2 with large primer. The best group was .29” again and the worst was .39”. The small primer brass seemed to group just as well as the large. Picked up another lb of IMR4350 and a pack of large rifle primers while I was there too! Felt like I won the lottery!!! Couldn’t believe they had a lb of powder on the shelf and it just happened to be the exact powder I’m loading with right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I made an overshot card cutter for .410 shot shells out of a 9mm shell casing.
    On the left is a 20 gauge overshot card cutter I made from he brass from a 28 gauge shell I made a while ago for 2 1/2” reloads.
    Both are sharpened on the inside edge with a conical grinding stone. I usually cut the cards from primer tray sleeves.
    BA49D228-50FE-42AE-9F0E-FFF11CDDB4B8.jpeg

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Through the week I loaded up a few test loads for the 450 with the 200gr HPs. Research says h110 isn't the best powder for light bullets but I have an 8 pound jug of it so I'm using it anyway. Hope to get to the range soon to test those and the 7-08s with alpha brass.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I‘ve loaded for 12 ga and 20 ga for about 30 years, and I started loading for 410 last night. I bought the loader and some components from the estate of a friend’s Dad a couple years ago, and I finally decided to give it a try.

It wasn’t as easy as 12 or 20 I guess due to the small case size. I ended up trashing a couple hulls before finally getting it right. My biggest problem was getting the shot to fall through the small tube without hanging up.

If anyone has some tips, I would appreciate it.
    Shot sizes larger than #8 will bridge and clog in the drop tube when loading .410’s.

Top Bottom