ARJ Defense ad

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    Ran some 180gr 10mm over 9gr of longshot , latest version of hornady book has 8.3 as a max load but I’m guessing that is the FBI load because an older hornady book that I have lists the max at 9.5gr
    e7bf4713a1f359bff4fb4da4909a8040.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ARJ Defense ad

Reactions: MTA

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Ran some 180gr 10mm over 9gr of longshot , latest version of hornady book has 8.3 as a max load but I’m guessing that is the FBI load because an older hornady book that I have lists the max at 9.5gr
    e7bf4713a1f359bff4fb4da4909a8040.jpg

The Lee book list 9.5 (I have a couple hundred I loaded a couple months ago at 9) I’ve never chrono’d mine, but it lists almost 1300 at that charge, which was comparable to 11 grains of Blue Dot, which is why I went ahead and used Longshot. Makes me want to run mine across the chrono now!

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    The Lee book list 9.5 (I have a couple hundred I loaded a couple months ago at 9) I’ve never chrono’d mine, but it lists almost 1300 at that charge, which was comparable to 11 grains of Blue Dot, which is why I went ahead and used Longshot. Makes me want to run mine across the chrono now!

You should if you have one, curious why I didn’t reach higher velocity.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Ill sell it then. I don’t need it, its a 12 pound can
    Personally, I am not familiar with HI-SKOR 700x, but only after a few minutes of searching; it appears this powder may be "ballistically similar to Red DOT and 231". That means it's a good fast-burning pistol powder which in my book isn't a bad thing to have lying around the reloading table these days.

There is load data available for .45 ACP, .38 Special, and 9mm online.
    Do a little more research and it may become more valuable to you than just writing it off.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    DuPont’s IMR Hiskor 700X has recently had a name change to Hodgdon 700X.
    The density changed a wee bit too.
    It’s still my go to powder for one ounce 12 gauge target loads.

ps
    I’ve heard that 800X has been discontinued.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Well today I just labeled them but yesterday I took advantage of an ice day and revisited some old 45 acp loads. Back then I didn't have a chronograph but they shot well. So I made 2 50rd test batches of sns coated 200gr SWCs and some berry's 230gr hybrid hp. Both over 8.1gr AA#5. It was my first go round with the berry's hybrids and I was a little disappointed to find out they ran a touch over .452". Had 3 shave copper when seating.

On the plus side they should shoot great in the 45 colts ! The hybrid hollow point is so wide, they are safe to load in my Rossi lever gun.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Loaded two boxes of .45 with Brass Monkey Bullets. Will need to test them out in my 1911s when my arm recovers enough (form surgery) to shoot. Looking fwd to some range time again.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have an issue I need some input on. So please read the details and offer your opinions / suggestions.

I bought a 224 Valkyrie a couple years ago. I’ve been shooting it and reading up on it. Did factory load test shots to figure out the most accurate factory load. Found two that were similar, so I hunted with one but had less than optimal results. So I decided to hand load the 90g Fusion bullet.

Recently did a ladder test with that 90g bullet. Pretty much always when I do a ladder test I get one load that is under 1”. I’ve shot a couple that were under 1/2” (223 and 6.5CM).
    Problem is when I did this latest ladder test I didn’t get a tight load.

I always expect one flier, and generally exclude that one from group size. Problem on this test was that I didn’t get a super tight group except on one load I had a group of 3 that was touching, and was maybe slightly larger than quarter inch. the other loads were kind of all over. All had under 3” spread.

I just wasn’t impressed with any of them. I guess it’s possible due to it being cold the day I shot that I was the problem. It’s possible I had two fliers on that one with 3 tight holes. But with 224 Valkyrie there isn’t much recoil, and I generally don’t flinch under heavy recoil.

was hoping to hear some of your thoughts.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    What powder are you using? My first thought would be to test a different powder. Or you could try seating them a little longer or shorter to change the pressure curve.

It's also possible you had a good group but with 2 fliers like you said. Try the same load again with 10 rounds and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom