DK Firearms

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    In stock alerts at Midway USA might help. I went thru and set them on every primer they offer. I've recieved several alerts in the last year. They are starting to stay on stock longer too.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Same for Powder Valley.
    Gun Zone Deals

wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    Received my 22 hornet dies. Since I only have 5 empty brass, looks like I am going to have to do some shooting before it's worth trying them out. :)

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Shot some 308 loads I made a few weeks ago. Remington 700 SPS Tac 20”, KRG Bravo Chassis. Did a ladder test with IMR4895 and BLC-2. Worked on the top end of the published load data for both, started about 10% low. The IMR 4895 all shot 1.2” or better with most under Moa. I found an accuracy node near the top end. I’ll probably go with that and load up 50 to see how the run at 500

Fiocci Brass, CCI 34 LR, 2.82 COAL, 175 gr SMK
    E6905D05-05A4-4E96-95AA-7C4432BA9914.jpeg

BLC-2 shot like dog shit. Had 3-5 Moa groups with the exception of one cluster of 4-5 that was all touching , so close I couldn’t tell if it was all 5 or there was a flyer off paper. Leaning towards the latter compared with the other groupings.

Also shot some Norma whit tail 150gr I got from academy and it was just under 1 Moa. Not bad at $23 per box. I may buy more just for brass. Not to mention it shoots well. Probably use it for deer and pigs too.

Last edited:

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Shot some 308 loads I made a few weeks ago. Remington 700 SPS Tac 20”, KRG Bravo Chassis. Did a ladder test with IMR4895 and BLC-2. Worked on the top end of the published load data for both, started about 10% low. The IMR 4895 all shot 1.2” or better with most under Moa. I found an accuracy node near the top end. I’ll probably go with that and load up 50 to see how the run at 500 View attachment 309305

BLC-2 shot like dog shit. Had 3-5 Moa groups with the exception of one cluster of 4-5 that was all touching , so close I couldn’t tell if it was all 5 or there was a flyer off paper. Leaning towards the latter compared with the other groupings.

Also shot some Norma whit tail 150gr I got from academy and it was just under 1 Moa. Not bad at $23 per box. I may buy more just for brass. Not to mention it shoots well. Probably use it for deer and pigs too.
    I never had any luck with BLC-2 in 308. I had really good results with H4895, and then I tried Varget for the first time and never looked back.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Shot some 308 loads I made a few weeks ago. Remington 700 SPS Tac 20”, KRG Bravo Chassis. Did a ladder test with IMR4895 and BLC-2. Worked on the top end of the published load data for both, started about 10% low. The IMR 4895 all shot 1.2” or better with most under Moa. I found an accuracy node near the top end. I’ll probably go with that and load up 50 to see how the run at 500 View attachment 309305

I never had any luck with BLC-2 in 308. I had really good results with H4895, and then I tried Varget for the first time and never looked back.
    Same here for BLC-2 in 308. Never worked. H4895 is my go to and I have never used Varget because I have never seen it for sale anywhere. Everyone who does use it raves about it

Also another vote for Norma being awesome factory ammo

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm

H322 worked like a champ for me.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Same here for BLC-2 in 308. Never worked. H4895 is my go to and I have never used Varget because I have never seen it for sale anywhere. Everyone who does use it raves about it

Also another vote for Norma being awesome factory ammo
    Same here Id love to get some H4895 or Varget but havent seen it available for more than 30 sec for this past year. Even with email notifications I always get beat. IMR 4895 is a available even in these times and it’s probably not as temp stable but I was pretty happy I didn’t have a bad load with it across the range of powder charges. So even with a pressure increase it would be gtg with that rifle.
    H322 worked like a champ for me.
    Thx I’ll have to try it. I thought it was more for the lighter loads.

Reactions: MTA

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Shot some 308 loads I made a few weeks ago. Remington 700 SPS Tac 20”, KRG Bravo Chassis. Did a ladder test with IMR4895 and BLC-2. Worked on the top end of the published load data for both, started about 10% low. The IMR 4895 all shot 1.2” or better with most under Moa. I found an accuracy node near the top end. I’ll probably go with that and load up 50 to see how the run at 500

Fiocci Brass, CCI 34 LR, 2.82 COAL, 175 gr SMK
    View attachment 309305

Thanks for the feedback on the Norma whitetail. I bought several boxes in 7mm-08 and 308 because it was the only thing on the shelf at academy
    Didn't shoot them this season, but I will be needing them by next.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My power went out last night so I primed 100 cases for the 6.5 by headlamp light. Well, almost 100 cases.

Turns out some 6.5 are small primer. I had no idea. I had 8 I think. I’ll drop them into the recycling bin this morning.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Powder valley had small pistol primers in stock just now. Never heard of the brand, and they were $100 for 1,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Just saw Capital Cartridge in Houston has small pistol and small rifle primers in stock also. $525 for 5,000. But hey, free shipping and free haz mat! Thought I was being a hoarder when I would drop $30, and grab a brick of primers every time I went to Academy. Now I’m kicking myself for not keeping more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom