Join TexasGunTalk

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Moonpie, Aug 6, 2015.

1. pbratton

pbratton Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I've had my 950 for about 15 years and it has been fantastic. Dillon has always been ready to send any parts as needed, never have I had any problems with the Dillon warranty.

I load 9mm, .38, .45 & .308 and am getting ready to set up for 6.5CM.

The 650 can crank out straight walled brass as fast as you can pull the lever, with bottleneck brass, I run much slower, as I usually will deprime and form the case first, clean and size the cases. Then I run them through to prime, powder and seat the projectile.

I am REALLY looking at the Mr. Bullet add-on as well...

You'll love yours too.

2. xdmikey

xdmikey Active Member

Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Forgive me if this is a repost from me but I found an almost new 650 with casefeeder, rt1500 and a bunch more stuff I don't understand.

I didn't have the asking price so I offered my m1a but the Gson wasn't happy about that so i cancelled.

It was working out so well: he's in SC, my daughter's BF is there visiting family(he drove)but my shooting buddy warned me off, saying his(and another buddy)use their 650s as single caliber machines.

Thanks to rmantoo for sharing his contact with me but I don't have the space nor the cash to make the move to a new system.

This afternoon I will make a run at 1000 223s and will report back, hopefully with a win for the red team!

3. TxStetson

TxStetson Usually Here TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

The more stuff you buy, the easier Dillons are for a caliber change. It takes me about 2 minutes to switch between 45-70 and 44 Magnum on my 550. It does take a little longer if you’re switching primer sizes.

EZ-E likes this.
  4. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Loaded 300 6 creed up over the weekend. 40b4e653a4e1afcdff69c7644f8d16b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Well-Known

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    If you've got the right parts a simple caliber change takes about 5 minutes on a 650. If you need to switch primer sizes it takes about 10 minutes more. If you spring the additional primer feed setup it adds about two minutes instead of 10.

6. xdmikey

xdmikey Active Member

Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Got any links to videos that I can check this Out?

My SiL is in NC and the seller is in SC so right now it's just whatever I pay the kid, assuming he gots room!

7. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Well-Known

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    There are tons of Dillon videos available. If you're wondering about cartridge changes it goes like this.

1. Have a toolhead for the new cartridge.
    2. Pull the two pins that hold the toolhead in and swap them.
    3. Remove the bolt that holds the shell plate and put in new plate. Swap the three shell holder pins.
    4. Swap case feed parts.

That's pretty much it. You can get by with one powder measure if you buy one of the quick disconnect parts for it.

birddog likes this.
  8. xdmikey

xdmikey Active Member

Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Today, I tried to load some Acme 125 PC bullets.

I was having fits getting the fit right. Good chance it was due to a mixture of the e bullet and the Lee die. I used to load everything with this die using the powder through expander. It looks a lot like the Hornady one but is a far cry from the expander plug in the Hornady die set which is more like this "\/", instead of like this"||" almost.

I won't buy a new die set just to load some funky shaped bullets.

I wonder if anyone else can share thoughts on the Lee powder through expander?

Still waiting for a clear day to see how many 223 rounds I can get loaded before a major press-related disaster.

9. xdmikey

xdmikey Active Member

Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    MailMan, I'm still waiting for measurements(height)to see if the SC 650 will fit into my cave.

10. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Call Lee Dies. See if they can be of assistance.