APOD Firearms

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Did an ocw on 6mm CM. 103 ELD-X , RL-16, Peterson brass srp, cci 41. Found a node at 40.2. Really good poa/poi compared to zero. Also just bit the bullet on 500 of the new style DTAC 115 RBT. Got an ocw loaded for those, gona run em with my can on the rifle

I’ve loaded a ton of disc’s and every single barrel seems happy in the 2950-3050fps range.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Did an ocw on 6mm CM. 103 ELD-X , RL-16, Peterson brass srp, cci 41. Found a node at 40.2. Really good poa/poi compared to zero. Also just bit the bullet on 500 of the new style DTAC 115 RBT. Got an ocw loaded for those, gona run em with my can on the rifle

Just built a 6mm creedmoor rifle with a 26” a 1:7 twist Shilen barrel in an MDT LSS XL Gen II chassis. Built it as a long range target rifle, but I have a whitetail/hog hunt scheduled for the end of the year, where I won’t have to do much walking, so it wouldn’t be too hard to haul that rifle with me. Been looking at the DTAC 115 grain with nose ring as a possible hunting bullet. I’ve never used any of their products, so it’s good to hear positive reviews. May order a box of the RBT and a box of the hunting bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Just built a 6mm creedmoor rifle with a 26” a 1:7 twist Shilen barrel in an MDT LSS XL Gen II chassis. Built it as a long range target rifle, but I have a whitetail/hog hunt scheduled for the end of the year, where I won’t have to do much walking, so it wouldn’t be too hard to haul that rifle with me. Been looking at the DTAC 115 grain with nose ring as a possible hunting bullet. I’ve never used any of their products, so it’s good to hear positive reviews. May order a box of the RBT and a box of the hunting bullets.

David says the nose ring bullets work good for hunting. I know the unmodded one’s I would not hunt anything but varmints with.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Y'all are busy!
    I finally received my .38 reloading die set and other accessories. Tumbled some .38 casings so hoping to load my first bullets in that caliber tonight. Excited.

wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    I was able to check out by reloads on one gun(Ruger American in 300 BO) and check zero on my 222 before I start reloading for it. I was pleasantly surprised on both.

Shots 1,2,and 3 were 3 shots from the Ruger with scope adjustments made after shots 1 and 2. Load is 110 gr. Tac Tx and 19.8 gr. H110.

The 222 is my first "deer rifle" , which was purchase used in the late 70's. It is a cheap Stevens model 840 with a cheap scope (Tasco I believe). I recently purchased a Nikon Scope and decided to "upgrade " the scope before trying to get more accuracy out of it. So I looked through the Tasco scope and using my old Tasco bore sighter, made a metal note of the alignment on the grid.

After removing the Tasco, I discovered that I couldn't use the Nikon because it hit on the side-mount base which is used on the rifle. So remounted the Tasco and lined up with the bore sighter best I could. I was pleasantly surprised when the first 2 shots were just 6-8 inches low and right (see lower right labeled 222, other shot was just off the paper) From what I recall it was hitting low before I removed the scope.

Anyway , after making some adjustments, the next 2 PMC factory loads were the "group" just above the bullseye. Thanks to TGT member RP for the 222 rounds he gave me last spring. I think I will leave things as is for now, considering the gun, the 40 year old fixed power scope, etc. But , eventually I will try to work up some loads, especially if I can fine a scope that will fit the mounts on the gun and have better magnification.

blackout222.jpg

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Went and did my first true ladder test for my 6mm creedmoor. Loaded up 15 rounds of 108 grain ELD Match in .2 grain increments of IMR4350. At .2 grains below published max and at published max, I got the exact same velocity (3015) and point of impact. On top of everything else, all 15 rounds together shot a .80” group at 100 yards! I couldn’t believe it! From 38.8 grains all the way to 41.4, shooting velocities from 2800 to just over 3000 fps, POI was damn near identical! I thought the 6.5 creedmoor was easy to load for, this cartridge blows it away!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Loaded up 200 rounds of 44 magnum for the Super Blackhawk.
    These are range/target loads so on the mild side
    7.5 grains HP-38 under a Keith 240 grain cast SWC
    velocity =/-1000 FPS
    Blackhawk loads were what got me started reloading. Light recoil loads make the 44 more fun to shoot.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Was just unloading my range bag from todays trip, and found a box of 145 grain ELD-X boo-latz for my .270. Forgot I bought them! Always had good luck with the Interlock SP’s, but I really like the accuracy of the ELD-X. Didn’t plan on a new load for the .270, but I looked and saw I had some brass all shiny and ready to load, so I put together a few different charges of IMR4831, and now have an excuse to go back to the range tomorrow!

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Was just unloading my range bag from todays trip, and found a box of 145 grain ELD-X boo-latz for my .270. Forgot I bought them! Always had good luck with the Interlock SP’s, but I really like the accuracy of the ELD-X. Didn’t plan on a new load for the .270, but I looked and saw I had some brass all shiny and ready to load, so I put together a few different charges of IMR4831, and now have an excuse to go back to the range tomorrow!

I have a blr in 270win and been thinking about the 145's also.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Went and did my first true ladder test for my 6mm creedmoor. Loaded up 15 rounds of 108 grain ELD Match in .2 grain increments of IMR4350. At .2 grains below published max and at published max, I got the exact same velocity (3015) and point of impact. On top of everything else, all 15 rounds together shot a .80” group at 100 yards! I couldn’t believe it! From 38.8 grains all the way to 41.4, shooting velocities from 2800 to just over 3000 fps, POI was damn near identical! I thought the 6.5 creedmoor was easy to load for, this cartridge blows it away!

A true ladder should really be done at 300yds it will show you the node better. At 100 like that I do the “Satterlee” method. Seat billets 20 though or so off and run them over a good solid chrono and look for the flat spots in the velocity curve. That gives you a general idea on node. From there you can fine tune pretty easily.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    A true ladder should really be done at 300yds it will show you the node better. At 100 like that I do the “Satterlee” method. Seat billets 20 though or so off and run them over a good solid chrono and look for the flat spots in the velocity curve. That gives you a general idea on node. From there you can fine tune pretty easily.

That’s what I did, the Satterlee method. Found my jam point, then loaded up several rounds in increments of .2 grains of powder, seated them .020 off the lands, and sent them over my chrono.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    That’s what I did, the Satterlee method. Found my jam point, then loaded up several rounds in increments of .2 grains of powder, seated them .020 off the lands, and sent them over my chrono.

It’s the easiest way to go for most things I’ve found br and sometimes x47 cases being the ones that are more difficult sometimes as they can have extremely solid numbers so seeing a linear pattern can be problematic . That being said if I have a general idea on certain things I can typically achieve the same results with faster time. Like 6 creed for example with 115 dtacs I have found on a spec 183 chamber if you seat them at 2.80 coal and shoot for a velocity window of 2950-3050 they will typically hammer. Same with 105 hybrids. At least that is my experience across about 15 different barrels with various powders.

Last edited:

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Did the ocw test with my 6mm CM, 115 DTAC's/ OCW winner was 40.3gr RL-16. Coal 2.775 Peterson SRP, cci 41. Also re-zeroe'd my rifle and 2 others with my suppressor and had to adjust the zero up 2" and left .3-.5" on all 3 rifles. Just about ready to whack some deer with it

Reactions: dee

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Did the ocw test with my 6mm CM, 115 DTAC's/ OCW winner was 40.3gr RL-16. Coal 2.775 Peterson SRP, cci 41. Also re-zeroe'd my rifle and 2 others with my suppressor and had to adjust the zero up 2" and left .3-.5" on all 3 rifles. Just about ready to whack some deer with it

I definitely need to order some of the 115 DTACs. My barrel is a 1:7 twist, and loves the heavy bullets. In fact gonna go see if they’re in stock now.

Edit: In stock, so I ordered a box. Was gonna order a box of the ones with a nose ring cut in for hunting, but for the distance I’ll be shooting, I’ll probably just look for a good Interlock to use.

Last edited:

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I unloaded three boxes of .410’s through the muzzle at skeet and crazy quail to be loaded tomorrow during Nicole‘s passing.

Top Bottom