Patriot Mobile

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I ordered a bullet mold that I didn't even know existed.... a Lee mold, 105gr SWC for the .358 crowd.
    I had toyed with the idea of getting a .32 cal revolver, but decided to just stick with my .38 special, but work up loads with lighter recoil.

They aren't for me, since I'm so manly and all that, but for any girly types that don't like the snap of full .38 special loads.....

ok, they're for me....

anyway, I have a 125 gr mold, and it's pretty nice, but thought I'd give the 105 gr a whirl... what's the worst that could happen? I might like it?

And this would still be more power than the .32's, theoretically....
    Have you tried the Federal reduced recoil in 110 grain Hydro Shock for the 38spl?
    Texas SOT

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Have you tried the Federal reduced recoil in 110 grain Hydro Shock for the 38spl?
    No.... I rarely buy factory ammo. That is, however, the idea I'm using... lighter bullet, experiment with loads to balance highest possible velocity with still acceptable recoil.

I've loaded some 148gr wadcutters at low power loads, approximately 650-700 fps, and those are not too bad at all....

I just didn't know that a "lighter than 125gr mold" was available. It will be interesting to see what can be worked up with it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've loaded some 148gr wadcutters at low power loads, approximately 650-700 fps, and those are not too bad at all....
    And in a human torso, they cut a full-diameter hole rather than pushing tissue out of the way.

There's a reason the standard 148 gr HBWC target load was commonly used by police officers who carried snubby revolvers back in the day. It's still a valid approach to defensive ammo.

I have thousands of rounds of factory target .38 Special wadcutters. I consider it the most all-around useful load for that chambering.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    And in a human torso, they cut a full-diameter hole rather than pushing tissue out of the way.

There's a reason the standard 148 gr HBWC target load was commonly used by police officers who carried snubby revolvers back in the day. It's still a valid approach to defensive ammo.

I have thousands of rounds of factory target .38 Special wadcutters. I consider it the most all-around useful load for that chambering.
    Yes... to me, that is likely the best load for self defense from a snubby....

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    No.... I rarely buy factory ammo. That is, however, the idea I'm using... lighter bullet, experiment with loads to balance highest possible velocity with still acceptable recoil.

I just didn't know that a "lighter than 125gr mold" was available. It will be interesting to see what can be worked up with it.
    If you can go with a .357 dia., NOE makes a 95gr. mold.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I could likely make a .357 work, since I have been powder coating my bullets... that bumps them up a thousandth or more...
    I'm curious to see how the 105 works... that will be the smallest I've ever shot in a 38/357...

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I found a couple of videos of ballistic gel testing comparing the .32 Long wadcutter load to the .38 Special wadcutter load.
    Eye-opening, indeed.
    The .32 penetrated straight line in for around 14-15", when shot through one or two layers of denim.
    The .38 penetrated straight line close to 18"....

This would lend credence to the notion of lighter wadcutter loads for the .38 being possibly more effective, or at least as effective as the hotter wadcutter loads....

I think the .32 was chrono'd at about 675 fps.... and IIRC, the .38 was chrono'd at the mid to upper 700's.
    That test was pretty confidence-inspiring.... at least it's way better than throwing rocks at a bad guy...

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Here's a 98gr. that could be resized to .358.
    360-98-SP_PB_BG5_Sketch.jpg

wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    Loaded some Barnes 150 gr for my 7-30 waters using W748 powder to do a ladder test.. But before loading, discovered cases were slightly long. I used my lee case chamfering tool to take down , but that is really slow and tedious.

I searched the internet for a Lee case length gauge and trimming tool and /or a Lee Quick Trim die for the 7-30. Couldn't find it until finally I went to the Lee website and found they had the case length gauge there. Not too bad , $13 plus shipping. I don't reload large batches so I have found these work pretty well for me.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Follow-up.... I got the 105 gr mold in, and cast some this evening, just to see what I ended up with...
    I like it.... I cast about 125 or so... average diameter was .359 - .360
    The weight went between 106 and 107 gr. All in all, I think I'm going to like it.. now I need to PC these and get them loaded up

Lee 105 gr pile.jpg

Lee 105 gr individual.jpg

HHH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    look behind you
    Well today nothing , but yesterday I finished up brass prep of 530 ,223 brass , cleaned , sized , length, all ready too add powder , bullet and crimp , but today I bought a new boat . I got side tracked

Attachments

• F8B8065E-EEF2-4BA2-ADCC-378EA30B6175.jpeg
      F8B8065E-EEF2-4BA2-ADCC-378EA30B6175.jpeg
      342.4 KB · Views: 40

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Well today nothing , but yesterday I finished up brass prep of 530 ,223 brass , cleaned , sized , length, all ready too add powder , bullet and crimp , but today I bought a new boat . I got side tracked
    Wait...what??
    Pics of the boat, or we don't believe you!
    LOL!

Top Bottom