Hurley's Gold

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Thank you. Been looking forward to this trip for a while, especially since my freezer crapped out several months ago and I lost all the meat I had left from last year! I’m using IMR4831 for the .270 and CFE223 for my 223 load. Just started testing loads for my AR, and CFE was the first powder I tested. Seemed to work well, but I will definitely be testing a few different powders down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never tried IMR 4831 in a .270 before, but it works great in the 7mm Rem mag. I did have pretty good results with H-4831 sc in a .270.

Post up your results if you get a chance, and again good luck with filling up your freezer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    I'm wracking my brain, trying to figure out how that conversion was done without spending a small fortune. Which is fine if it was, it happens all the time when somebody wants something bad enough. But if you're going to go that far why choose, what at the time was, a second-rate revolver? Why not a Ruger SA? The only thing I can think of is Hawes made a .22 on the same frame. Maybe that made it easier, they drilled and line a .22 barrel, and rechambered a .22 cylinder.
    I was wondering the same thing. I am not well versed on what it takes to do such a conversion, so I appreciate the input. This pistol came from an elderly couple who were target shooters (metallic silhoutette, maybe?). Anyway, the gentleman had dementia and I believe has since passed. But I might get a chance to meet the lady. If I do, I might see if she has any recollection about this pistol. Thanks again, because I wondered why they would convert a Hawes and not something like the Colt itself. Maybe they had a gunsmith friend who liked to tinker?

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I was wondering the same thing. I am not well versed on what it takes to do such a conversion, so I appreciate the input. This pistol came from an elderly couple who were target shooters (metallic silhoutette, maybe?). Anyway, the gentleman had dementia and I believe has since passed. But I might get a chance to meet the lady. If I do, I might see if she has any recollection about this pistol. Thanks again, because I wondered why they would convert a Hawes and not something like the Colt itself. Maybe they had a gunsmith friend who liked to tinker?
    With any conversion like that you need either a donor barrel of proper caliber or one to bore out and line, and a donor cylinder to rechamber. Even if you make a barrel, that can be done from a manufactured and rifled barrel blank and the gunsmith just turns it to diameter, cuts to length, and threads one end. Is the barrel marked? If there are no Hawes markings on the barrel then it was probably made from a blank.

The problem most of the time is the cylinder. With a Colt or a Ruger there's no sub-caliber cylinder available to just rechamber. You'd have to make an entire cylinder from scratch. Can be done but expensive. Does it look like there are any kind of inserts in the cylinder? I've never seen that done but it's theoretically possible. Is there a Hawes caliber marking anywhere? They might have removed it.

A lot of the wildcats you see are what I call wildcats of convenience. Meaning they are easy to do. Like the .357/44 Bain & Davis. The case is a .44 magnum necked down to .357. Take a .357 Blackhawk and just rechamber it. Or better yet use the 9mm cylinder from you Blackhawk Convertible and make a two-caliber gun.

A .256 revolver would be a lot of fun!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Tumbled and resized another 50 cases. Got them trimmed and primed. Now to figure out what the new test loads will be.

Last edited:

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I'm wracking my brain, trying to figure out how that conversion was done without spending a small fortune. Which is fine if it was, it happens all the time when somebody wants something bad enough. But if you're going to go that far why choose, what at the time was, a second-rate revolver? Why not a Ruger SA? The only thing I can think of is Hawes made a .22 on the same frame. Maybe that made it easier, they drilled and line a .22 barrel, and rechambered a .22 cylinder. You couldn't do it that way with a Ruger. You'd have to make a cylinder and rebarrel it.

I had a .256 rifle way back when. It was a Universal Ferret carbine. Marlin mad a modernistic looking lever gun in .256 also.
    Back in the day Hawes was probably considered a decent gun.

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    I placed 2 orders today with reloading supply sources to support a new pistol that I'm going to buy. And they included several boxes of bullets that I expanded my inventory on, before the price increases that are said to come on Jan 1.

Am still trying to decide what kind of 9mm semi auto pistol to buy. Want it to be concealable, but want it to be able to handle 9mm 147gr bullets. I looked at CZ 75's and the Baretta M9, have never handle one, but they might be too large to be very concealable. The ones that you can hide sure have short barrels, I'd prefer to have something near 4" barrel. I'm not confident about accuracy on most of the light small semi auto pistols.

I looked at Baretta's small one, but will have to see one before I buy one.

I had been looking at Anderson manufacturing's Kiger 9c. But am still struggling to decide on.

I'd even buy a used one if necessary. Looked at a Sig Sauer 357 last week at gunsmith's shop, it would fit the bill but I want something easier to find brass for.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have a Sig365 that I’ve been happy with. Easy to conceal. Light weight. Can use extended mags.

I have not shot 147g bullets in it. But have shot 115 and 124. I like it. It’s a little snappy, but the extended mags make it easy to handle. And I have a kind of big hand.

The other small pistol I own is a Glock 26. Extended mag makes it fine to shoot. And if you want to, it accepts the 33 rd Glock mags.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Just my .02 cents on this.

A CZ-75, or variation of, like the P-01 I'm suggesting now, will last your lifetime, and most likely your grandkid's lifetime as well. They are a fantastic machine with some of the best ergonomics of Any pistol on the market. And they are made better with a "Cajunized" session. Being that they are all metal, and hammer fired built give them a few extra checkmarks in my book.

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    I have a Sig365 that I’ve been happy with. Easy to conceal. Light weight. Can use extended mags.

I have not shot 147g bullets in it. But have shot 115 and 124. I like it. It’s a little snappy, but the extended mags make it easy to handle. And I have a kind of big hand.

The other small pistol I own is a Glock 26. Extended mag makes it fine to shoot. And if you want to, it accepts the 33 rd Glock mags.
    Thanks for suggestions.

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Just my .02 cents on this.

A CZ-75, or variation of, like the P-01 I'm suggesting now, will last your lifetime, and most likely your grandkid's lifetime as well. They are a fantastic machine with some of the best ergonomics of Any pistol on the market. And they are made better with a "Cajunized" session. Being that they are all metal, and hammer fired built give them a few extra checkmarks in my book.
    I've read about the CZ-75 reputation, have never seen one. Is it too large to carry concealed?

I looked at the specs for the CZ P-01, it is a short version of the CZ-75, with aluminum in some places. Pretty impressive. Am sure it would be possible to conceal. And I want the best possible accuracy.

A lot of 9mm pistols are inconsistent in bullet accuracy. Weight does affect that.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I don't think they are. But then again, I carry a steel frame, hammer fired pistol daily. And for reference, I'm fairly tall and mostly skinny. The P-01 is about the size of a G19. This link gives a size comparison.

As for reliability and accuracy, most modern handguns are inherently more accurate than the person behind it. It's really just about taking the time to find what the gun likes, and what you want the gun to do with whatever you are feeding it. It's a combination of learning curve, and trial and error. Some guns do well with a generic 115 grn. hollow point, while others baulk at it. Some like the 147 grn. Federal HST, but have a hard time with Federal 147 fmj. And vice versa. There are a lot of options in the ammunition department for a firearm to choose from, so it might take some patience in finding the right combination.

Last edited:

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    If you do, I'd suggest getting a Dillon!

I’ve looked at Dillon. I’m also thinking about Lee. I’m happy so far with all there reloading stuff. Granted I only have there single stage press to judge there quality by.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I’ve looked at Dillon. I’m also thinking about Lee. I’m happy so far with all there reloading stuff. Granted I only have there single stage press to judge there quality by.

I have a Lee 4 hole turret press and I’m very happy with it. I have a shell plate for each caliber I load, so it’s ready to roll with zero adjustments assuming it’s the same bullet I used last time for that caliber. And it generally is.

If I had to load hundreds of pistol rounds at a time, I’d think about the Dillon.

Last edited:

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I have a Lee 4 hole turret press and I’m very happy with it. I have a plate carrier for each caliber I load, so it’s ready to roll with zero adjustments assuming it’s the same bullet I used last time for that caliber. And it generally is.

If I had to load hundreds of pistol rounds at a time, I’d think about the Dillon.

I also like the pricing on Lee. I also don’t usually load hundreds of rounds of pistol. I will keep the single stage for my 7mm rounds.

Top Bottom