What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    Lee single stage and turret presses are great unit's. Their progressive style presses on the other hand aren't. They break very easily because of all the plastic parts they contain.
    Dillon is the only way to go when it comes to a real progressive press. The Hornady progressive press works, but your real close to Dillon money when you by everything you need for it.
    Look at the Lee 6000, six stations and the press works well. They also have a case feeder and bullet feeder. I am happy with mine. No, it's not a Dillon. Six stations means I can use my RCBS lockout die and not worry about squib or overcharges.
    Guns International

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Can anyone guess how many rounds I loaded tonight?

Also and damn the SOB that invented small primer 45
    as much as I try and sort them out they still find a way in
    I found 11 tonight while loading this batch
    1000020179.jpg

Attachments

• 1000020180.jpg
      1000020180.jpg
      485.3 KB · Views: 27

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    A neighbor friend who reloads called me and offered me this for $65
    He got a big haul of unused reloading stuff from a guy who bought during a panic and never started reloading
    He kept what he wanted and I got the leftovers.

View attachment 424024
    How much you want for those stands?
    Can anyone guess how many rounds I loaded tonight?

Also and damn the SOB that invented small primer 45
    as much as I try and sort them out they still find a way in
    I found 11 tonight while loading this batch
    View attachment 424293
    I just went through all my 45 and 10 brass picking out the small primers and segregating them.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Loaded 4 boxes of 12ga AAHS 12 ga with one ounce of reclaimed shot. Two sessions, arthritis won’t allow for a 4 box run. Dug up a small orange tree yesterday. Probably cut it up Monday. Fingers, thumbs and wrists are complaining.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I did some load testing at the range over the last weekend. Finally got to test my 4 different bullet styles for the .45 Tisas Tanker. Cast SWC 200gr, PC'd 225gr truncated cone, PC'd round nose, and plated round nose.
    All cycled nicely...
    Accuracy nod went to the truncated cones.... sort of surprised me. All of these were with 700X.
    I have found that the Lee Auto Disk is consistent enough with 700X so that I don't have to individually throw and weigh. Makes things a little easier.

edit: I forgot to add that I ordered a Redding taper crimp die for the .41 magnum.... I have some plated bullets that I want to load as "41 Specials", and didn't want to force a roll crimp into. Thought about the Lee Factory crimp die, but decided I wanted a true taper crimp for plated or PC'd with no crimp groove....

Last edited:

RiverRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2023
    North Texas
    I shot some test loads in my daytime hog gun, an AR in .260 Remington.

I bought a bunch of PRVI .264" BTHPs in 120-grain form a while back because my favored 120-grain Ballistic Tips were getting (and remain) scarce as hen's' teeth. I've shot a number of groups with them over the last few months and was trying a few different charges of a few powders that seem to be in the ballpark. There have been plenty of indications that the bullet has plenty of potential for hunting, accuracy wise, but I'll have to try them on hogs to see if they'll actually do a good job of anchoring a big boar.

One powder that is particularly interesting is MP655, available occasionally from American Reloading. It's a pulldown powder. The merchant will supply you with ONE load in one cartridge, so if you choose to use it in another one you're on your own. I originally tested it in 6mm Remington and noted almost immediately that it seems to load like the old H450, then after playing with it more I saw that it loads more like W780 Supreme. It IS a spherical and it IS similar to 780 but I don't really know that it is. Or isn't...I've never bought any 780 to compare but I may do that.

Yesterday I was shooting H4350, StaBALL 6.5, and MP655. Oddly enough, H4350 just hasn't been a good performer with 120s in my rifle. Other powders I have tried include Re16, which powers my current hunting load (and does work very well!), Leverevolution, and Benchmark.

My best 5-shot group at 100 was well under an inch with MP655, and velocity was good @ 2870 in my 20-inch (nominally) barrel. I'm hoping that will be a viable powder for hunting because I have a BUNCH of it. My H4350 can go to work in my .30-06 where it seems to work about the same as Re16. I can keep tapping the Re16 to feed my .260s if I think I need to. I just need to verify that MP655 load in warmer weather because I don't know yet how it responds to higher temps.

Anyway, it was a good day!

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Prepped 100rds of .44spl. brass.
    From fresh fired to primed and ready to load.
    Waiting on a sizer die for the cast bullets.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I loaded a few 9mm test rounds and then switched back to .38 Special. I got an order of Acme bullets yesterday, and decided they have some advantages. For one, they pack them in cool little dovetail boxes. Then they strap them closed with plastic banding. Then they band the boxes together. They might do that because they ship UPS not that stupid USPS/UPS hybrid. But I prefer UPS.

Attachments

• acme.jpg
      acme.jpg
      282 KB · Views: 22
    Top Bottom