DK Firearms

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I've been trying to decide on a "41 Special" kind of load.... I processed 100 pieces of brass, and want to load up some Berry's plated bullets at around 1000 fps.... I don't have any Universal, and only a small portion of Unique left. I do have a few pounds of True Blue, and am thinking about that.
    I also saw "somewhere" that some folks use Power Pistol?
    I've got a few pounds of 231 and 700X, so I might just go that route, if I can find good loads for it....
    ARJ Defense ad

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Loaded 250rds of 38spl last evening before it got too cold out in the garage.
    Try
    re: previous post.
    I have been using Power Pistol in .45colt and Berry’s plated bullets. My loads are moderate. Around 5grns. They shoot well. Be careful because the pressure curve goes up fast with that powder. Half a grain makes a big difference.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I've been trying to decide on a "41 Special" kind of load.... I processed 100 pieces of brass, and want to load up some Berry's plated bullets at around 1000 fps.... I don't have any Universal, and only a small portion of Unique left. I do have a few pounds of True Blue, and am thinking about that.
    I also saw "somewhere" that some folks use Power Pistol?
    I've got a few pounds of 231 and 700X, so I might just go that route, if I can find good loads for it....
    W231 seems to work in everything. But it and 700-X are a little fast for my tastes in that big case. But I know W231 is used a lot for reduced loads in magnums with good results. The only thing I've used for this application is Universal and Trail Boss (which is impossible to find).

When I'm looking for a reduced load for a magnum, I "load to recoil". I start at the minimum magnum load. If the recoil wears me out in 100 rounds I take it down a little at a time assuming I'm in the range of the parent non-magnum loads. With the .41 you don't have much in the way of .41 "Special" data. The minimum listed load is a good place to start.

As I've gotten older, the tolerance for recoil is falling. But that's OK. I've fired more than my fair share of full-power magnums. The .41 is a great, great cartridge.

657.jpg

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    W231 seems to work in everything. But it and 700-X are a little fast for my tastes in that big case. But I know W231 is used a lot for reduced loads in magnums with good results. The only thing I've used for this application is Universal and Trail Boss (which is impossible to find).

When I'm looking for a reduced load for a magnum, I "load to recoil". I start at the minimum magnum load. If the recoil wears me out in 100 rounds I take it down a little at a time assuming I'm in the range of the parent non-magnum loads. With the .41 you don't have much in the way of .41 "Special" data. The minimum listed load is a good place to start.

As I've gotten older, the tolerance for recoil is falling. But that's OK. I've fired more than my fair share of full-power magnums. The .41 is a great, great cartridge.

View attachment 427253
    that is an amazing offhand group!

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    that is an amazing offhand group!
    If you shoot enough you get lucky every once in a while. You get them more if you swap your targets out all the time. I value accuracy in the aggregate more than one-off groups. I think it says more about the revolver than it does me. But they make you look good on the interwebs!

DustyDuds

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2023
    Fort Worth
    If you shoot enough you get lucky every once in a while. You get them more if you swap your targets out all the time. I value accuracy in the aggregate more than one-off groups. I think it says more about the revolver than it does me. But they make you look good on the interwebs!

I saw your target and immediately thought of Elmer Keith!

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Boss man wants ke to work him up a load for his 6 5 Grendel. Just gave me a bunch of components for it but only a little bit of powder. Gonna have to find him some new powder now.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

DustyDuds

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2023
    Fort Worth
    Just loaded up some 300 blkout. 200 gr. HPBT rounds with 14gr. H110. Should be about 1050 fps.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

I had thought about using H110, but I couldn’t get hold of any at the time I was purchasing powder so I wound up using CFEBLK at 11.2 grains powder with a 237 grain RNFP hard cast powder coated bullet. I don’t have any data yet.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Just loaded up some 300 blkout. 200 gr. HPBT rounds with 14gr. H110. Should be about 1050 fps.

I do almost the exact same thing. I use 208 grain bullet.
    208grain Hornady EID Max bullet with H110 powder 8.5grains to be exact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    I do almost the exact same thing. I use 208 grain bullet.
    208grain Hornady EID Max bullet with H110 powder 8.5grains to be exact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sir, I stand corrected! 14gr. was for the 168gr bullet. The 200gr bullets were loaded with 9gr H110.
    Sorry for that.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Cast some 195gr 41 mag bullets from a Lee mold. Tumbled lubed them with a mixture of Johnsons paste wax, Alox and mineral spirits.
    deb17e7f36dacef2ebb5baa4924c8f9b.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom