Lynx Defense

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dermako

Insensitivity Trained
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    One winter project complete.
    Last half of my .223 stash ready to prime.
    That is just shy of 6000 cases. In the fall I managed to get 7600 done.
    But it is done.
    IMG_0615.jpeg

Now back to that honey dew list.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Decided to go with the Frankford Arsenal trimmer. Have it in the cordless to try it out. Very easy to use. The first 5 cases are within .001 OAL. Going to try it in the drill press next.
    20240223_171144.jpg
    20240223_171103.jpg

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

rr2241tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    San Marcos
    Helped an old friend set up a Dillon 550B to reload 38 Special. He bought this press as a bare body just as COVID hit and it was no stranger to neglect then. We started in on it then but didn't get very far before the lockdown. Many dozens of doctor visits later, he discovered that his wife had hired an "organizer" to tidy up his gun room while he was under the weather. The press has been stored at my reloading room for all this time. He began the Easter egg hunt for the parts he ordered from Dillon in early January. He found most of them, eventually, but his bullets and most of his brass have yet to be discovered. He reordered he bullets and scrounged about 300 cases. His grandson was coming for the weekend,so we hit it hard Friday afternoon. We cleaned, oiled, recleaned, assembled, adjusted, readjusted on the press, dies, and powder measure until it all ran like a new press. There were some things still to be located: powder cop, and alarms for it and the primer magazine, but we made a powder cop out out of a pencil and managed to keep an eye on the primer supply most of the time. We did have one little slip and made four cartridges without primers once. Luckily, we were throwing Unique so it didn't make too big a mess. Before rush hour started my friend went home with a big box of cartridges that he and his grandson were taking to the range this morning. I hope they enjoyed their range day as much as I enjoyed helping Grandpa get reads for it.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Decided to go with the Frankford Arsenal trimmer. Have it in the cordless to try it out. Very easy to use. The first 5 cases are within .001 OAL. Going to try it in the drill press next. View attachment 436059 View attachment 436061

Fired my home brew 300 Blackouts last weekend. Bolt rifle so they all feed just fine. 180gr subsonic nice group. I believe I will make a bunch more.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Test fired a few rounds of experimental loads.
    .44Special - trying a new powder - just 20rds. Checking for pressure signs and general accuracy.
    Everything good to go except the load is a little too snappy for my use. I'll cut the charge a little and re-try.
    .38Special - wad cutter loads. A TGT member sent me some HBWC bullets to try. Thank you! They shot well out of the .357. I think these are a bit too warm. Will cut back on the charge a tad and try again.
    Both of these are intended as light field/target loadings.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    .38Special - wad cutter loads. A TGT member sent me some HBWC bullets to try. Thank you! They shot well out of the .357. I think these are a bit too warm.
    I've chrono'd lots of factory target 148 grain wadcutter loads and seen speeds from less than 600 fps up to ~975 fps. Oddly, the fastest speeds were with the oldest ammo.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I've chrono'd lots of factory target 148 grain wadcutter loads and seen speeds from less than 600 fps up to ~975 fps. Oddly, the fastest speeds were with the oldest ammo.

Since I don't have a chrono I have to go by "feel". Basically recoil pulse and pressure signs.
    My experience is moderate loads shoot the best.
    Since this is a low volume test, I'm going to drop the powder charge just a bit. Couple of 10ths.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I have some accumulated cash on a prepaid Visa so I bought me some stuff.

I ordered 300 pieces of .41 brass. I have about 350 but I usually like to keep at least 500. I have way more on most but I don't find .41 just laying around. Powder Valley had a 10% discount and the price per piece was very close to Starline's 1,000 lot price. I don't load full-power any more, I may never lose a case.

I ordered a Lee Deluxe Quick Trim for the 9mm Makarov. It'll be an easier way to trim back 9mm Luger cases to make reloadable brass than the basic Lee case trimmer, which is slow.

I also ordered a Lyman Multi-Expander and Powder Charge Die. It's a powder-through-M-style expander. It won't actuate my powder measure but I can live with that. It comes with multiple expander tubes for different calibers. It may have been discontinued. I couldn't find it on Lyman's site and Midway has it on sale, which they often do with discontinued items.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Thinking about selling a couple.of my lesser Lee presses and buying that new 6 stage progressive they have.

While I ponder in powder coating some bullets. It's humid as hell and shaking those damn bullets has me sweating my butt off. I found about 500-600 45s I must have cast last year and forgot about so working on those. Think I'll make some red, some white, and some blue!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    So I found a bag with about 150-200 blue 45s as well as a bunch of uncoated. I thought.i had true white but closest I had was aluminum white.

There's about 1100+ 9mm there. I felt fancy and mixed some colors. Made a yellow green, black with yellow green, black with red, and solid black.

I did all the 9mm at the same time. Thought the rack in the toaster oven was going to collapse! It was sagging about 3/4" under the weight.
    9d5a24d8e9b19f21c1f01ee195a0bdf3.jpg
    dc860604cc2846849ca58c4986f3abc9.jpg

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    So I found a bag with about 150-200 blue 45s as well as a bunch of uncoated. I thought.i had true white but closest I had was aluminum white.

There's about 1100+ 9mm there. I felt fancy and mixed some colors. Made a yellow green, black with yellow green, black with red, and solid black.

I did all the 9mm at the same time. Thought the rack in the toaster oven was going to collapse! It was sagging about 3/4" under the weight.
    9d5a24d8e9b19f21c1f01ee195a0bdf3.jpg
    dc860604cc2846849ca58c4986f3abc9.jpg

The wife says you need to do A&M colors!

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Lol...that would be UT.
    Maroon and white is A&M

These colors are from Smoke4320 on the cast boolits forum. His powders work really nicely. That one is called brown orange and I noticed it's very "UT" when I first used it years ago. Shot with a couple guys who bitched about it. I'm one of them dumb Californian guys so what do I know about football anyway. It coats and that all I cared about.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom