Capitol Armory ad

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Beat by a few hairs but I really don’t need any.

I was mainly wanting to comment on the tumbling action going on here. I’m a long time proponent of pin tumbling but I have to say I’ve been having issues lately.
    With that in mind I’ve been doing smaller batches with corn cob treated with a splash of mineral spirits and the brass is quite blingy after a 24 hr tumble!
    Texas SOT

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    how about this photo, view of steel pin tumbler when I took lid off today.
    D39E2D5D-7F3D-4D72-BC56-E3425A3570D3.jpeg

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    Rinsed off and let them bask in the sun, then into the Walnut and polish for 1 1/2 hrs.
    I like them clean and shiny.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Today I didn't reload but I finished an 80% lower for an unloader and put it together. Now I've gotta work up a 308 load.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Beat by a few hairs but I really don’t need any.

I was mainly wanting to comment on the tumbling action going on here. I’m a long time proponent of pin tumbling but I have to say I’ve been having issues lately.
    With that in mind I’ve been doing smaller batches with corn cob treated with a splash of mineral spirits and the brass is quite blingy after a 24 hr tumble!
    Mineral spirits sounds cool.
    Tried a dash of rubbing alcohol and it went well.
    I recently started adding used dryer sheets and it made a huge difference. I think it pulled all of the dirt out of my media.

24 hrs sounds like a long time.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    It wasn’t planned that way but when I figured it out I did it again and then again.

The reason for it originally was the load was too small for the pin tumbler.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I had a hot date yesterday. And we went to the gun range. lol

I let her shoot my guns. Maybe the first time I have gone to the range and not picked up a single piece of brass. Must have shot 2-300 rounds, but my 9 and 40 buckets are almost full so I let em lay there.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    It wasn’t planned that way but when I figured it out I did it again and then again.

The reason for it originally was the load was too small for the pin tumbler.

I've been using crushed walnut shells from Petco (in the bird section) and I put a little Flitz in it. Works great.

I would be a bit concerned about using mineral spirits on those cases. If there is a film inside the case (very likely) that could hurt the powder.

Last edited:

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I've been using crushed walnut shells from Petco (in the bird section) and I put a little Flitz in it. Works great.

I would be a bit concerned about using mineral spirits on those cases. If there is a film inside the case (very likely) they could hurt the powder.
    Might be right, it is oil based isnt it?

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Quick google

Mineral spirits are an inexpensive petroleum-based replacement for the vegetable-based turpentine. It is commonly used as a paint thinner for oil-based paint and cleaning brushes, and as an organic solvent in other applications.

This general-purpose solvent is effective at thinning oil-based paints, varnishes, stains, and polyurethanes. Mineral Spirits leave behind no residue. It is best as a cleaner on brushes, tools, and equipments while paints or other substances are still wet.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Quick google

Mineral Spirits leave behind no residue. It is best as a cleaner on brushes, tools, and equipments while paints or other substances are still wet.

How about that, Google is wrong sometimes. I was a painter for a decade, and I can tell you it does leave behind an oily residue.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    How about that, Google is wrong sometimes. I was a painter for a decade, and I can tell you it does leave behind an oily residue.
    Experience beats google hands down.
    Ive only ever used it to strip a newly installed handrail on escalators. And it left a nice oil shine on that too, but it was rubber. Hopefully a tumble in walnut shell will get it off?

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    When I did work for Deavis he had me put something in the walnut when tumbling brass. I wanna say it was mineral spirits. I'm so sure of that because I have a bottle sitting next to my dry tumbler. I'm sure if it wasn't any good Deavis would have known though... That dude tumbles a ton of brass!

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Any body in the Houston area reload .40 or .45's? In the act of picking up 9mm brass I'm starting to accumulate some 40's and 45's. I have no intentions of reloading those calibers but couldn't see throwing them away if someone else could put'em to use.
    If you haven't already, you might want to check out the brass exchange thread.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    When I did work for Deavis he had me put something in the walnut when tumbling brass. I wanna say it was mineral spirits. I'm so sure of that because I have a bottle sitting next to my dry tumbler. I'm sure if it wasn't any good Deavis would have known though... That dude tumbles a ton of brass!

Correct, keeps down dust and adds a slight lubricity to the case. Better than a dusty mess that ends up in your die. Good memory, stop by and we will update you to the new process!

Added a machine to the stable last week.

20200910_174931.jpg

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Finally took a few of my reloads to the range to chronograph. I am pretty happy with the results.

458 SOCOM, H110, 350gr RN
    Had a range of powder weights to check function, velocity, and signs of pressure.
    My velocities were really tight at higher charges.

Had several different projectiles in .224
    And 10# of Ramshot Tac, so Ipicked a pretty save charge weight within the min- max of these projectiles. This way i wont have to move my powder dispenser on the 550.

One downside was my 9mm reloads. I loaded a few a month ago and function checked them at the range. Ran fine in my Glock 45. Well yesterday they wouldnt chamber in my glock 19, or my friends taurus G2c. Ran home and manually cycled them thru my 92fs and M9A3 fine.

I guess OAL 1.105 is just a little too long for 124gr round nose.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    In that same operation I was having fits with my Redding powder dispenser! I could not get a consistent throw for nothing.

Any ideas?

Started with a full hopper. I was glad when I finished that ordeal.

Top Bottom