Texas SOT

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    My SIL found a widower wanting to sell ALL of his reloading gear for one price. I bought it. One Dillon 650 w/case feed set up for 9mm, 2 550's with numerous heads, primers, & bullets. A MEC Sizemaster 12ga with wads, shot, and primers. 2 older turrent presses, Lyman and Redding. It's like Christmas around here.
    Don't forget me when you are selling them for cheap.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Bought some more 300 blk brass. Lubed a bunch of them. Watched some more reloading vids on YouTube. Bought a Lee factory crimp die for my 300 blk ammo. Bought some Hornady 180grain sst bullets for hunting rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should consider buying the Lee trimmer for the 300 Blk

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    You should consider buying the Lee trimmer for the 300 Blk
    Plus one on the lee trimmer. I bought the deluxe model that chamfers and deburs.
    With the 1/4" hex shank so i can use my 12v cordless impact. My calipers show a very consistent trim length.

The cutter is universal, you buy the trim die specific to the caliber.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Any of it that gets sold will be listed here first.

Now I need to find some 223 brass if anyone has any surplus???
    Not enough to trade for a 550

My local range sells it by the pound though. I believe it was $2.50/# last time I bought some.

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    Not enough to trade for a 550

My local range sells it by the pound though. I believe it was $2.50/# last time I bought some.

Which range ? Need some too...

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Finally took a few of my reloads to the range to chronograph. I am pretty happy with the results.

458 SOCOM, H110, 350gr RN
    Had a range of powder weights to check function, velocity, and signs of pressure.
    My velocities were really tight at higher charges.

Had several different projectiles in .224
    And 10# of Ramshot Tac, so Ipicked a pretty save charge weight within the min- max of these projectiles. This way i wont have to move my powder dispenser on the 550.

One downside was my 9mm reloads. I loaded a few a month ago and function checked them at the range. Ran fine in my Glock 45. Well yesterday they wouldnt chamber in my glock 19, or my friends taurus G2c. Ran home and manually cycled them thru my 92fs and M9A3 fine.

I guess OAL 1.105 is just a little too long for 124gr round nose.

Doubtful, you can easily load 1.140 with most ogives but some are finicky. Usually you see issues with 147s, when the ogive hits the leade at less than 1.080".

I know this is unpopular with some but, tell me, what does your case gage say about your ammo? Does it pass as loaded? If not, where is the issue?

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Check out RedEye reloading.com, 500 pieces 223/556 for $40 shipped. I have bought dies, bullets, and brass from them.

Mark S? I'm in their groups, too.

I have bought from Redeye, too. Good company. But for cheap brass for $2.50/lb I still go to Lonestar handgun. 1k 223 brass is about 13 pounds so you can get that for under $30.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Mark S? I'm in their groups, too.

I have bought from Redeye, too. Good company. But for cheap brass for $2.50/lb I still go to Lonestar handgun. 1k 223 brass is about 13 pounds so you can get that for under $30.

I sent an email and they replied they didn't have any 223 brass. Probably just didn't want to mess with shipping. Can't really blame them. The other at 8 cents/rnd for range PU is a little steep. Don't need it that bad.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I sent an email and they replied they didn't have any 223 brass. Probably just didn't want to mess with shipping. Can't really blame them. The other at 8 cents/rnd for range PU is a little steep. Don't need it that bad.
    Usually you gotta pick it up yourself. If I end up out there anytime soon I'll let you know. I could pickup a couple K in no time.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Doubtful, you can easily load 1.140 with most ogives but some are finicky. Usually you see issues with 147s, when the ogive hits the leade at less than 1.080".

I know this is unpopular with some but, tell me, what does your case gage say about your ammo? Does it pass as loaded? If not, where is the issue?
    I didnt have a case gauge, but i was very curious. So i picked one up on the drive home today.

Randomly selected a bunch of rounds out or my box of reloads, every one seated below the top of the gauge.

I also flipped the gauge over to check the "bullet point to head" and the tip is very recessed compared to a 115grain factory round.

You mention the ogive dimension. These are Missouri powder coated ball projectiles. Very short stubby tip.
    I checked their webpage and they actually list a recommendation for seating length of 1.08

I should also mention the glock 19 is bear creek aftermarket barrel. The rounds would chamber but only if i palmed the slide forward. The taurus wouldnt go into battery and required a screwdriver between the slide and barrel to pry the slide back.
    23a5150210f809f4dca4e6a20f60087f.jpg
    18e4feeb7cb396a373ef7953977a5165.jpg
    b69c7a10f031f36d71cc65a21a6e5bc0.jpg

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Its gotta be an ogive issue. I loaded them at 1.095 and it must be on the edge of working in those guns. And on the edge.of not working in the others.

I checked the rounds that chambered in my other guns and there were no marks from the landings on the projectile though.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Its gotta be an ogive issue. I loaded them at 1.095 and it must be on the edge of working in those guns. And on the edge.of not working in the others.

I checked the rounds that chambered in my other guns and there were no marks from the landings on the projectile though.

It is, that profile is probably the standard Magma mold. If you load them to 1.080 they will chamber. Your barrels have a leade that isnt fully cut and the bullet hits it. Bet if you force a dummy round in, you will see scuffing on the bullet.

Just adjust to your conditions, I have to load lead at that length precisely for that reason. It will be barrel specific.

Your primer is a little ugly, could be the picture but how are you seating them and how deep is it?

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Your primer is a little ugly, could be the picture but how are you seating them and how deep is it?

The primers and brass were very ugly!

I havent reloaded for years. Packed it all up when i moved to texas. Didnt want to setup in my rental. Been living in my home for 2 years and finally dug the stuff out due to prices.

I found a ziplock bag of 9mm brass sized, primed, and expanded all in the ammo can I keep my lee hand press setup in. I used this brass to finish off the rest of my MBC projectiles.

I used to travel for work driving up and down the coast staying in hotels. Id hand press 9mm and 380 to kill time.

These were all pressed with a hornady hand priming tool.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom