Target Sports

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Apparently nothing.
    They were just "cowboy" loads, and he saw the value of the primed cases, rather than the load itself.

Personally, for .38 special I would just shoot them. Cowboy loads work fine through the snubbies, but it is becoming painfully clear that saving the primers and/or using them for full power loads are now worth the "extra" effort these days.

Hmm, I would shoot them too. Gastest way to pull bullets. Even if you had to pay 150 bucks for primers, the hours of frustration pulling them isn't worth that amount of money. Then again I value my time and it is fun to watch cowboy loads plummet after 15 yards. Good hold over practice!

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    I will probably save about 200 for when I take my wife shooting, she doesn’t want to shoot full power.38 so this will be perfect for her. The 200 or so rounds that seem to be loaded in brand new starline brass I will pull and repurpose. Already pulled about 150.
    Not a biggie, listening to a book while I slam away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Primed all my 224 Valkyrie cases this morning. Will develop some ladder test rounds later this weekend.

it was interesting that the Fed cases loaded super easy. But the Hornady cases were harder to push the primer into. And I had to actually ream some of those cases due to part of the old primer being still in the primer pocket. It’s rare to see primers tear like that.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Just got back
    From fire forming 7-30 brass. Well actually just went shooting and got some brass out of the deal.
    Side note... I am now a strong believer that fire forming for this round is useless. Factory and handloads all performed equally.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Primed all my 224 Valkyrie cases this morning. Will develop some ladder test rounds later this weekend.

it was interesting that the Fed cases loaded super easy. But the Hornady cases were harder to push the primer into. And I had to actually ream some of those cases due to part of the old primer being still in the primer pocket. It’s rare to see primers tear like that.
    I have seen primers tear quiet often sizing 40S&W.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Cast a few hundred bullets the last few nights. Yesterday one of my daughters was asking about powder coating so I decided to show her how it's done. She picked the colors. Yellow with a little purple sprinkled over the top lightly
    45ae2db528b51dc8bc7f4f02af5f5f23.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Your yellow covers big boolits much better than my yellow did on little bullets!

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    -rp, whose powder do you use? I’m using Smoke’s and have heard from others it covers poorly. Compared to John Deer green which covers really solid.
    (scampering wildly for a demonstrative pic!)

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I use smoke's powder. I have carolina blue, black, orange brown, telemagenta, sulfur yellow, and yellow green. So far I've had trouble with yellow not covering well on my first batch but I increased the amount of powder used and it come out good.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Midway had some stuff (SRP and powder) pop up in stock tonight. I pooped the bed on primers. I don’t load any small rifle calibers, but I was gonna grab some anyway, i figured someone could use them. But right as I was about to hit “place order”, I decided I didn’t want to pay haz mat for one item I don’t use and went back to check on powder. By the time I went back to my cart......... GONE! I did get a pound of powder though.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Deprimmed some 20 vartarg and was getting ready to set the sizing die up until I realized my 30° bump gage was too big.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    $60 for 1,0000. New product I’ve never seen.

5a95effb6d51ecd869c889c005928f11.jpg

I have some of those. Don't use the light trigger springs in guns shooting those.

They are good primers though. Pretty sure I paid $20 for the 1K I bought to try out.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom