Texas SOT

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I have a bunch of CCI #41 that I bought way back when I thought I wanted to load for my AR15. But ammo was so cheap so I just bought a ton of it and have about 10k primers. Didn't know Winchester made them too. Supposed to prevent slamfire in AR. So I have a lot of CCI#41, probably a lifetimes worth. Better more than less I guess.

Reactions: MTA

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I have a bunch of CCI #41 that I bought way back when I thought I wanted to load for my AR15. But ammo was so cheap so I just bought a ton of it and have about 10k primers. Didn't know Winchester made them too. Supposed to prevent slamfire in AR. So I have a lot of CCI#41, probably a lifetimes worth. Better more than less I guess.
    Let me know if you ever end up selling them

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Just found this relic.
    B5ADA103-D5B0-4758-9475-0ED03387B2F4.jpeg

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)

I appreciate the idea of properly engineered components but I have to admit...I have never seen or had a slamfire in any floating pin 223 or 556 rifle I've ever been around. I even had a few batches of primers that pierced easily even with low pressure loads. They lightly singed the tip of a few firing pins but never a slamfire.

Because of that I never did buy into the concept. I've run thousands of Sr mags for their harder cups after some testing showed negligible differences in SD and es with my go-to powders.

Aside from this post, my reloading effort tonight was limited to mean mugging a bunch of brass in need of processing.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I use smoke's powder. I have carolina blue, black, orange brown, telemagenta, sulfur yellow, and yellow green. So far I've had trouble with yellow not covering well on my first batch but I increased the amount of powder used and it come out good.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Thanks rp-

My problem, I think, is that I’m cheap and was scrimping on power!

If our range ever opens back up I might make an attempt to shoot up some of them so I’ll have an excuse to cast/PC some more.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Anyone know what round uses small pistol magnum primers?

Any small pistol caliber can use a magnum primer.
    If that is all you have, then you as the reloader must adjust the load at the bench to account for the additional 15- 20 fps they typically produce. A good rule of thumb for magnum primers roughly equates to around 10% more powder charge for most powders.

Magnum primers were designed to provide better ignition in large volume cases like .357, etc. Do your due diligence and work up a load that suits your firearm. Check for accuracy and watch for pressure signs. There are not too many reloaders out there that don't do this already.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Thanks rp-

My problem, I think, is that I’m cheap and was scrimping on power!

If our range ever opens back up I might make an attempt to shoot up some of them so I’ll have an excuse to cast/PC some more.
    I've only ordered 1/3 pound packs from smoke. Out of the 1/3 pound bags I have not fully used one up or even hardly made a dent in it. I think I've used light blue more than anything and ice coated several thousand rounds with it. I don't think skimping is really worth it. I've calculated the cost per round of powder coat somewhere around $0.00001 per bullet, give or take a zero in there.

I've also heard of guys preheating their bullets to get better coverage but I've never had to do that either.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Any small pistol caliber can use a magnum primer.
    If that is all you have, then you as the reloader must adjust the load at the bench to account for the additional 15- 20 fps they typically produce. A good rule of thumb for magnum primers roughly equates to around 10% more powder charge for most powders.

Magnum primers were designed to provide better ignition in large volume cases like .357, etc. Do your due diligence and work up a load that suits your firearm. Check for accuracy and watch for pressure signs. There are not too many reloaders out there that don't do this already.

I don’t use them and have plenty of the others. But I bought some stuff at an estate sale and there were mag primers in that stuff.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I don’t use them and have plenty of the others. But I bought some stuff at an estate sale and there were mag primers in that stuff.
    I've never use magnum primers in my 357's. The Lee manual just calls for SP primers, and that's what I stuck with.

Top Bottom