ARJ Defense ad

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Switch to wet tumbling and you'll never look back.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Oh I've been looking at it for some time.

One day I will, probably the day my harbor freight cleaner dies.

Casting bullets
    Wet tumbling
    And shotshell reloading

All on my to learn list.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk
    ARJ Defense ad

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Broke my 338 federal sizing die this week.

Sizing 308 cases to 338 federal. It takes a bit more effort with the expander, well a berdan case snuck it's way into my once fired brass. Snapped the depriving pin and bent the stud the expander screws onto.

New stem ordered from RCBS cost me $18 shipped

Cases came out of the corn cob media looking beautiful. Read somewhere here that used dryer sheets keep the dust down and help with the shine. I've also started squirting a little goof off into the vibrator before the lid goes on.

Strips of used dryer sheet seem to make the media last longer.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Oh I've been looking at it for some time.

One day I will, probably the day my harbor freight cleaner dies.

Casting bullets
    Wet tumbling
    And shotshell reloading

All on my to learn list.

When that day gets here look me up!

Today, for the first time in a couple months I went to the shed and turned the light on.

I separated some 38spec/357, sized some primed 357 then the fun started.

I figured I'd trim some 38spec cases with my trimpro drill powered trimmer. The shaft began to wobble so I disconnected it and the cord cleared the bench next to it!

Now I just need to find the bolt that attaches the hand crank to the cutter and I'll be set.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Large pistol and large rifle primers in stock at the Academy in New Caney. They changed the policy. 4 total packs and it counts as loaded ammo (4 box limit).

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Academy starting to show primers available as noted above. Don't forget military and first responders discount 10/24-11/14

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Yesterday I spent some me time in the shed: primed & belled 50 38spec cases since I have almost 150 gifted powder coated bullets on the floor.
    Called RCBS for parts, left number for a callback but when it came it was listed as spam so I continued power washing my driveway. Called again but no callback.

I’ll start again in an hour.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    My press was setup for 38s so I set aside my primed.9mm brass. Sized and reprinted 500 38s earlier this week. Tonight I ran about 180 through the press at a +p load.

I have 1k 45acp brass coming in Friday and this weekend I'm gonna order another 1k nickel to load some match rounds with.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    I just today found a bucket (coffee tub) 1/2-full of undisclosed charge w/124gr PC Acme Lipstick 9mm reloads.
    About ~600rd...

I think it is the same load I used in the last batch and thought I shot it all...
    It cycled the PC-Carbine and M9 just fine, but not so much in the new 92fs INOX, and it's new springs.

I HOPE I upped the ante (charge) on these, as I forgot to label this batch with the charge weight...

(Stove-pipes and FTFeed are NOT what I want to deal with.for half a coffee tin worth of shooting (at least 600rd).
    BUT at least I've got ammo... so I guess this is a plus, even w/out last-round slide stop... [charge too light])

I REALLY just need to stop loading what works (mid-charges) and load just a little hotter, in case of a new gun, from now on... :p

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Does the discount include veterans?
    Yes I believe it does and has in the past, go to Academy website, register for id.me, once that is done I order online and take the discount, pick up at store. Sorry late, been off line a few days.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Friday morning, in the cold, I casted about ten pounds of 38spec 150 gr. Not my first cast but it was my first cast with a new to me mould.

It all started fine but after 30-40 minutes the sprue plate became harder and harder to open. I thought maybe it needed to heat up so I left the lead in longer and the problem worsened and I dang near didn't get it opened but I was slinging boolits around in the grass from exerting so much pressure to get the sprue plate open.

I started to open the sprue plate as soon as the sprue plate began to frost and it got easier.

Any ideas on possible cause? Oh, and the handles are all loose so I read about a fix of high temp RTG which I'll pick up this week.

Thanks

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Friday morning, in the cold, I casted about ten pounds of 38spec 150 gr. Not my first cast but it was my first cast with a new to me mould.

It all started fine but after 30-40 minutes the sprue plate became harder and harder to open. I thought maybe it needed to heat up so I left the lead in longer and the problem worsened and I dang near didn't get it opened but I was slinging boolits around in the grass from exerting so much pressure to get the sprue plate open.

I started to open the sprue plate as soon as the sprue plate began to frost and it got easier.

Any ideas on possible cause? Oh, and the handles are all loose so I read about a fix of high temp RTG which I'll pick up this week.

Thanks
    What kinda mould are you using? Did you try oiling the sprue plate screw?

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    What’s funny is it started to settle down when I’d dump the cast as soon as I’d stand up(so I’m clear of the card table I’m working off of).

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    They seem old/rattley but I've only used one set and it was bought at 10Ring, my LGS.

Thanks for responding rp-

Attachments

• mould1.jpg
      mould1.jpg
      61 KB · Views: 50
    • mould2.jpg
      mould2.jpg
      60 KB · Views: 51
    • mould3.jpg
      mould3.jpg
      56.6 KB · Views: 50

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    They seem old/rattley but I've only used one set and it was bought at 10Ring, my LGS.

Thanks for responding rp-
    Check the Phillips screws on the underside of the mold.
    Make sure they are tight.

Based on the photos, you need more lubrication and you have made irreparable damage. The sprue plate is scratching/digging into the aluminum block. Follow the instructions the mold came with as far as cleaning and lubrication go. Your troubles are unfortunate.

Top Bottom