Venture Surplus ad

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Over the last few weeks I’ve digging out a lot of forgotten reloading stuff.
    Been slowly pecking away at things. I don’t move so good anymore.
    Some days ago, a five-gallon bucket about 3/4 full of .38Special brass was uncovered. There were some piec s in there dated 1971! LoL
    About half of it has been processed to the Ready to Load stage.

Today I started digging out lead that has accumulated. Probably about 150lbs so far.
    Once the weather cools down I plan on smelting all that down into clean ingots for later use.

Good lord I had no idea I had this much junk stuffed away.
    Being an old reloader means you’re a pack rat from hell. Hahaha.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. I haven't touched my reloading system for about a year now.
    The price and availability of primers is nuts.
    I'm thinking about possibly selling my Hornady Ammo Plant setup and related stuff.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Was going to the range today to confirm a 150 grain load for my 30.06, and decided to load up and test some Nosler 180 grain bullets I had. WOW! With a max published charge of IMR4350 (56.5 grains) that 70 year old Remington with a Leupold 3-9 on it, shooting off a front bag, shot a 3 shot group just over .25 MOA! I couldn’t believe it. Also went and picked up some cheap 6mm creed-moor Lee dies and some Barnes 112 grain bullets. Should have my Shilen barrel in Wednesday, and hopefully have the action in early next week to finish my build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    Finally acquired some LPP's so loaded up a few 200 Grain hardcast 45acp loads. Never loaded hardcast nore shot it so we'll see how that works out.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston

This hit a little too close to home! Reminds me of the time I took 10 rounds that I put through the whole process of annealing, tumbling, FL sizing, neck turning, trimming, chamfering, deburing, uniforming the primer pockets, re tumbling, then reloading, and then I took 10 rounds that all I did was neck size, trim, and load. No cleaning or anything. They all shot EXACTLY the same! Too bad I still go through most of that other nonsense!

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    After decap/pin tumble/size 250 10mms I found another 250 ready to load(R2L)10mms plus 150 new 10mm cases while trying to put away the original 250.

When all the once fired 44mag cases arrive they will sit since my wimpy stash of LPP will not even cover half the original 250.

But I'm set for SPP 10 & 45!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Got started on refining the scrap lead and making bullets.
    It doesn’t look like much but the picture represents about 4hours of work.
    DF655841-3EA4-45BD-9329-BADF00A2E34A.jpeg

70 - .54 Richmond Sharp’s carbine bullets and 130-of those big ol’ .58 Minie’s for the ‘61 Springfield musket. You’re looking at about 16pounds of lead. LoL

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    May have shot the best 5 shot group of my life today in my Savage 6.5 creedmoor. Still waiting on my EC tuner/brake for my 6mm creedmoor build, so I took the 6.5, a box of reloads, and headed to the range/LGS to see what they had for powder and bullets, and kill some time. First group was pretty good….
    54cc5348d56fa8d4969366244fbfd7ec.jpg

But I thought, why not try to beat it…..
    d3c6af38130871e81399ca0e5b6547f5.jpg

I didn’t measure it, but the circle is 1”, and the bullets are .264, so it’s easily under a 1/4” spread. Guy next to me made a snide remark about my “expensive” rifle. It gave me great pleasure to let him know it was a Savage Axis, and that the barreled action cost less than the chassis it was sitting it, and less than the Vortex scope that was on top!

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    May have shot the best 5 shot group of my life today in my Savage 6.5 creedmoor. Still waiting on my EC tuner/brake for my 6mm creedmoor build, so I took the 6.5, a box of reloads, and headed to the range/LGS to see what they had for powder and bullets, and kill some time. First group was pretty good….
    54cc5348d56fa8d4969366244fbfd7ec.jpg

But I thought, why not try to beat it…..
    d3c6af38130871e81399ca0e5b6547f5.jpg

I didn’t measure it, but the circle is 1”, and the bullets are .264, so it’s easily under a 1/4” spread. Guy next to me made a snide remark about my “expensive” rifle. It gave me great pleasure to let him know it was a Savage Axis, and that the barreled action cost less than the chassis it was sitting it, and less than the Vortex scope that was on top!

That’s good stuff right there.

Mighty fine shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Today was melt scrap make metal day.
    Smelted a bunch of old wheel weights and assorted scrap that had been hiding under the work bench for years.
    Yielded about 25lbs. of pure lead and about 75lbs. of alloy metal.
    View attachment 348830

Now useful projectiles can be made.
    You just ignited a winter project. I too have some of those piles of lead lurking in my garage for a decade or so. Seeing a picture of it makes me realize how much more convenient it is to store in ingot form.

Thank you for the inspiration

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Cannot compete with all the gorgeous lead work here. I cleaned, sorted and deprimed maybe 200 rounds from the range from last weekend. Gonna load up some more .45 for more practice.

Top Bottom