Texas SOT

What Die for loading match 308 win rounds?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    ussoldier1984;1613193 said:
    Cool thanks for the tip. I still have to get a better powder scale I want a digital I also need to get a media tumbler for cleaning brass once I have enough spent brass. And I have to get brass bullets powder and primers. I Just got in my Lee classic cast press kit in today and the lee die's are sitting in my mail box have to go run outside to get them. I should be fully set up by late July as I am going out of town for a few weeks. When I get back I am building a sturdy workbench to bolt the press and table vice too. I hope to be making my first rounds mid to late July. For now I unboxed my kit and am reading the lee loading book that came with it along with my Lyman's guide. Still need to pick up Hornady's loading book.
    Harbour freight tumbler is great for the price. Especially when on sale

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk
    Capitol Armory ad

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Nothing wrong with a beam scale. Like any other, keep it out of a breeze.
    I still haven't gotten a new scale, since 1980.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I got electronic scales. Still plan to keep the beam forever. Works without batteries or electric outlets too.

Still check most of my loads on it to ensure consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apollo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2017
    Vaquero;1613200 said:
    Nothing wrong with a beam scale. Like any other, keep it out of a breeze.
    I still haven't gotten a new scale, since 1980.
    This.

My friend uses a 2k digital scale meant for weighing diamonds.

I use the RCBS balance beam that came with my press.

Yet I've got a lower ES than he does. Brass prep and load consistency are more important to accuracy than weighing out to .001 grains.

Same with the powder column. If that's not consistent your ES is going to go way up. Oh, and digital scales can drift over the course of a long reloading session.

Not to mention that if you're using larger powders like H2O BMG the kernels are bigger than .001 grain so what does it matter?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Apollo;1613277 said:
    This.

My friend uses a 2k digital scale meant for weighing diamonds.

I use the RCBS balance beam that came with my press.

Yet I've got a lower ES than he does. Brass prep and load consistency are more important to accuracy than weighing out to .001 grains.

Same with the powder column. If that's not consistent your ES is going to go way up. Oh, and digital scales can drift over the course of a long reloading session.

Not to mention that if you're using larger powders like H2O BMG the kernels are bigger than .001 grain so what does it matter?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I was just worried about the quality of the lee beam scale that came with it. If I do not need to use a digital and the quality of lee's scale that came with it I will stick to that

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Not to go off topic but ehh who cares I currently buy hornady 168gr match hpbt I am going to load 178gr what bullets are giving good accuracy for you guys? I like hornady but am open to other suggestions.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Most will work fine. Unless you have the time, money, and skill to test every one of them and find one with a slight edge just go with what's available and easiest to get your hands on.

I like the 175gr SMKs, but that's partly because I worked up my loads with them and have no interest in starting over.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Younggun;1613350 said:
    Most will work fine. Unless you have the time, money, and skill to test every one of them and find one with a slight edge just go with what's available and easiest to get your hands on.

I like the 175gr SMKs, but that's partly because I worked up my loads with them and have no interest in starting over.

This.

I like Hornady and get their bullets first. I can't say if those or a different brand are necessarily better but they all work well.

If you try every bullet and powder combo that works well in a 308 you will be replacing your barrel before you find the absolute best combo.

Just pick one and go but stay heavy (175-180) for long range shooting.

I covered some good options in your other thread.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    My Savage 10T likes Nosler's 168gr Custom Comp bullets. Can't tell any difference between them an Hornady or Sierra but still experimenting.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Dawico;1613384 said:
    This.

I like Hornady and get their bullets first. I can't say if those or a different brand are necessarily better but they all work well.

If you try every bullet and powder combo that works well in a 308 you will be replacing your barrel before you find the absolute best combo.

Just pick one and go but stay heavy (175-180) for long range shooting.

I covered some good options in your other thread.

I forgot about that thread lol Thanks for the reminder. I will go back to that and review it.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    ed308;1613392 said:
    My Savage 10T likes Nosler's 168gr Custom Comp bullets. Can't tell any difference between them an Hornady or Sierra but still experimenting.

My Savage 10P likes Hornady178 grn BTHP match. Mainly because they were the first rounds i worked up that could be called precision.

Downhill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2017
    Baird Texas
    For 308 I run the 155 Palma. Full length resize the brass, trim to consistent length, neck turn for consistent tension. Powder charges are individually weighed. Seat with no crimp. I place an O ring beneath the seater die to minimize run out also. I use Lake City Match brass.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom