• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Naw, don't do it. I mean the 5.56 needs speed to do it's work. 16" barrel speed. Shooting it out of a short barrel looks cool but it's like a 22 hornet. Not what i would call a super stopper. Now if it was a machibeguns and you could get the hits a 4-5 round burst would do a lot of damage but just semi, I will pass. I know i am going to get flack but it's my opinion. Also Inside most buildings a 16" maneuvers just as easilly as a pistol or a 11" upper. It looks cool but that's about it.

johnnymayhem

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    odessa
    this is my first build

spikes complete lower i put together myself
    bravo company m4 16" upper
    magpul stuff
    primary arms m4 sight

100_1660.jpg

i dont want my new build to look like a clone so to speak

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    I'm gonna have to disagree with Mikewood on this one... a 5.56 NATO load with a 69 grain bullet out of a 10.5" barrel is going to have way more energy than any .22Hornet load out of any length barrel. If you're comparing a 55gr .223Rem SAAMI loads out of a 10.5" SBR and a 55gr .22Hornet out of a 20+" rifle, then you'll be closing the gap. However, you're at 10" more length and I've never seen a reliable semi-auto .22Hornet with a 30 round magazine.

I'll also disagree that it is just as easy to maneuver in a building with a 16" AR-15 as it is a SBR or pistol. I've done my fair share of force-on-force training indoors, and I'll tell you that it's not easy to open an interior door and keep your muzzle up at fighting level with a carbine. SBR is easier, and clearing a building with a pistol is the bee's knees... well, except for the horrible ballistics.

YMMV!
    -Randy

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    An SBR is honestly the most practical thing. You can then put any size upper on it you want after that. For most uses, an SBR in the 10.5-12.5" range is realistically about the most practical. If it's a defense gun, an SBR is going to do anything you could need to do with it. If you're just target shooting, then yeah just stick with a 16"+ to keep it easy.

Top Bottom