What do yall think about the CHL shooting test?

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by Texas42, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    I was thinking back to my CHL shooting test, and I am not sure how I feel about it. Do yall think it was too easy? There was several people who had never fired a gun before. No one failed.

I know that most shootings happen at arms length and I don't want to infringe on people's right to carry. What do yall think?

2. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    I guess I'd want people who get a CHL to want and act toward getting better on their own.

3. iratollah

iratollah Active Member

May 25, 2008
    I think the test is very fair as it enables the legally blind to obtain their CHLs.

4. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    What is the defintion of "legally blind"?

5. iratollah

iratollah Active Member

May 25, 2008
    It means that I can see from 200 feet what you can see from 20 feet.

As it sounds like you're being coy, I'll simplify: It means, "Cain't hardly see nuthin lessin it's raht in front of mah face."

6. Castrolr1

Castrolr1 Member

Dec 20, 2008
    i have seen an instructor actually tell a guy to leave his class because he had never shot a gun before.. But i do think they are too easy. you could actually point the gun at the target close your eyes squeeze the trigger and pass the shooting part of the test.

7. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I thought it was a bit too easy. We had a lady in there that couldn't load her own magazine......she passed w/flying colors.

However, as easy as I think it is.........I don't recall hearing of any CHL holders accidentally shooting an innocent bystander while in defense of themselves........so I guess it serves it's intended purpose. By that, I mean it allows those who wish to have a CHL to get a CHL.

8. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have about that vision without correction.

9. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I'm sure according to what's required of the instructors, those kind of folks can walk right through. However, I have a problem with it.

You have to pas a driving test before you get your drivers license. You have to know more that just how to start the car, put it in gear and move forward and stop.

In the class I took, there was this couple......he was next to me and I'm not sure what they did at the range, as they said they went to the range quite a bit together, but at 3 yards (whatever the short distance was) he would have been lucky if if actually hit a bad guy in the legs. Another lady who was a re-uping hers shot a group that looked like a shotgun with birdshot.

Hitting the target is good, but at that close if you shot a 12"-15" group, and not even around your POA, that's scary.

It seems that the state would require someone to show up knowing how to handle their weapon. Load, unload, clear etc. Many people struggled with that.

We can only hope that most people, like them, don't actually carry in public. :p

My answer, the "test" is more a breath on the mirror test and isn't sufficient.

10. 44Mo

44Mo New Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    My class was taught by a LEO and he was really cool and worked real hard with the newbies. Those of us that had experience he had far less one on one instruction if any other than suggestion on stance or holding advise.
    We were asked if we wanted to go 1st or wait on the newbies. Any experienced shooter that wanted went to the line, did their thing and was dismissed with paper work in hand.
    Very scary to be on a range with people that don't know their head from a hole in the ground.
    I hung back because of a skirt I had been talking too that was there taking her CHL test. The 10 hr class turned into 12.5 hr due to his one on one instruction.
    I think a lot has to due with the instructor.:texas:
    Just to add - I do feel there should be advanced classes and newbie classes.
    Newbie should have to take a 10 hr safety and shooting class before taking the CHL test.