What do yall think about the CHL shooting test?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yep, I had the same thought and concern that some DA might pick up the ball and take it all the way.

dmac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    I thought it was a bit too easy. We had a lady in there that couldn't load her own magazine......she passed w/flying colors.

It is a shooting test, not a loading test.

She could concievably defend herself or someone else by using a handgun without ever having learned how to load it. Maybe her husband does it for her. Hell...I'd love it if I never had to laod another AR or double stack 9mm mag again.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    It is a shooting test, not a loading test.

She could concievably defend herself or someone else by using a handgun without ever having learned how to load it. Maybe her husband does it for her. Hell...I'd love it if I never had to laod another AR or double stack 9mm mag again.

You are correct, but the instructor is charged with ensuring that students can safely operate the weapon. The concept of safely operating a weapon is left somewhat up to our interpretation. It is within our power as instructor to eliminate a student prior to completion of the test.

I've never eliminated a student because he or she couldn't load a magazine, and there have been many. I had one woman successfully lodge a round in the chamber BACKWARD. There are those who just don't know how, and those who physically can't. The ones who can't (usually elderly folks) are just fine with me. I make them show me that they know how, then I help them with the rest of the test. Those who show up clueless annoy me, and I give them less latitude.

arvetus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Lufkin, TX
    we had to pair up with a partner and our partners would load our mags for us. My wife has difficulty loading her mags, but you don't want to be down range of her. She can handle a gun quite well save for loading the mags. I keep 1 in her gun and 2 loaded spares ready to go. If, God forbid, we get in a gun fight, hopefully we'll be together.

Also had a 90 year old lady who looked darn good for her age that was in the class. She was a little shaky due to her age, but she did well considering. Sad to say that people prey on people like her and I think it's commendable that someone of her age was willing to go through the class and willing to learn about guns.

Some people, yes should just not handle guns. Others, just need a little help and they will be a-ok.

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    When I got my CHL, there was a woman in the class who brought a snubbie; she told us she had NEVER fired a gun ... she did really poorly on the shooting portion (tho she didn't shoot any of her classmates) and the instructor gave her about 15 minutes of personal training and let her qualify again; she managed to pass the second time ... I asked her where she lived ... so I'd be sure to never go there ...

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If there was evidence of that I would agree.

I see it every day I am at work. I'd say 10 - 15% of our business on any given day is people training for a CHL. Alot of people are concerned about the test.

I personally would like to see Vermont style carry laws here. I am willing to take the risk of some moron shooting me. It's probably on the same order as being hit by lightning.

I will say this though, 75% of the people that come into our range could not hit a 6" x 6" square with an entire magazine at 7 - 10 yards. That's without adrenaline, and that's scary.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I've been on the "after" side of quite a few shootings due to my line of work. I've seen people that shoot very well at the range, but when the fit hits the shan, that can't hit the side of a barn to save their own life, literally.

I agree those who partake in the ability to carry, should partake in the need for constant and consistent training

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I see it every day I am at work. I'd say 10 - 15% of our business on any given day is people training for a CHL. Alot of people are concerned about the test.

You see what every day? You wrote
    I think it's far too easy, and that harder testing would force people to train with their firearms more. It may limit CHLs because people think it's "too hard" but honestly, they are just as much a detriment to those around them than the attacker if they cannot hit a target consistently,
    to which I replied "if there was evidence of that I would agree."

What evidence is there that "they are just as much a detriment to those around them than the attacker if they cannot hit a target consistently"? Especially when you then say, "I am willing to take the risk of some moron shooting me. It's probably on the same order as being hit by lightning.".

I don't think people would train more with harder testing, but again, let ME set the standard.

arvetus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Lufkin, TX
    I will say this though, 75% of the people that come into our range could not hit a 6" x 6" square with an entire magazine at 7 - 10 yards. That's without adrenaline, and that's scary.

But they obviously care enough about their safety to want to take the class. And probably 90% of inability to hit the target accurately can be cured with learning proper stance.

When my wife first picked up a pistol, she was all over the map. When she actually had a lady (not her husband who can be overly critical sometimes :)) show her proper stance and grip, she shot the center out of the target. I would say that you can cure most of the bad shots with 5 minutes of showing people proper stance and grip.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You see what every day? You wrote to which I replied "if there was evidence of that I would agree."

I thought you were referring to the training part.

What evidence is there that "they are just as much a detriment to those around them than the attacker if they cannot hit a target consistently"? Especially when you then say, "I am willing to take the risk of some moron shooting me. It's probably on the same order as being hit by lightning.".

Common sense stands to reason that if the bullet does not hit it's target, it is going somewhere else. A human may be that somewhere else, otherwise I'd be shooting in my suburban backyard. The likelihood is low that you'll be struck by a stray bullet, and it's a risk I'm willing to take to maintain the right of carry. The ideology is that people need to train to avoid all of the above.

I don't think people would train more with harder testing, but again, let ME set the standard.

I believe a good number would, again, I see people training all the time to pass the CHL shooting test. Most of them don't know how easy it is, and assume it requires significant skill.

Go right ahead and let yourself be the standard. Doesn't bother me any.

cwblanco

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Amarillo
    I was thinking back to my CHL shooting test, and I am not sure how I feel about it. Do yall think it was too easy? There was several people who had never fired a gun before. No one failed.

I know that most shootings happen at arms length and I don't want to infringe on people's right to carry. What do yall think?

I was able to persuade my wife to take the class with the assurance that she could pass. If the shooting part had been made difficult for her to pass, the class would have defeated its purpose for her and that would have completely ended interest. It was afterward that she developed an interest in shooting. We must remember that the class is devoted mainly to the legal and safety aspects, and that the main purpose of the class is to allow one to acquire the lawful right to defend themselves with some assurance of safety. It was never designed nor intended to enable one to win shooting awards at the shooting range, nor was it intended to equip one to win fast-draw contests.

hk boy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    the shooting test was too easy
    it is similiar to our driving test. just because someone passed it doesn't make them a good driver. good drivers comes from time behind the wheel
    a good shot comes from practice and more practice

dtownmj

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Hi,

Can someone who has used a 1911 explain this to me...i plan on taking the chl class and as i understand it, the shooting portion is timed. Typically 1911s are single stack and can only carry 8-10 rounds....has anyone used a 1911 to pass the shooting portion? And how do they take into consideration the reload and magazine round? Thanks.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    You could take a 10min nap and still have plenty of time. ;) It is (supposed to be) timed, but not at all rushed.

Reload mags between courses.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Hi,

Can someone who has used a 1911 explain this to me...i plan on taking the chl class and as i understand it, the shooting portion is timed. Typically 1911s are single stack and can only carry 8-10 rounds....has anyone used a 1911 to pass the shooting portion? And how do they take into consideration the reload and magazine round? Thanks.

You are never required to load more than 5 rounds into a mag at anytime during the test. You can use a 6 shot revolver, but will only load 5 rounds at a time.

[h=3]CHL SHOOTING TEST[/h] [h=4]3 yards, 20 rounds[/h]
    • 1 shot, 2 seconds, 5 times
    • 2 shots, 3 seconds, 5 times
    • 5 shots, 10 seconds, 1 time
    [h=3]7 yards, 20 rounds[/h]
    • 5 shots, 10 seconds, 1 time
    • 2 shots, 4 seconds, 1 time
    • 3 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
    • 1 shot, 3 seconds, 5 times
    • 5 shots, 15 seconds, 1 time
    [h=3]15 yards, 10 rounds[/h]
    • 2 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
    • 3 shots, 9 seconds, 1 time
    [FONT]5 shots, 15 seconds, 1 time[/FONT]

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Actually, you load 6 rounds at one point. You load 6, then on each command fire 2 rounds. You do that three times. Then you load 4 rounds and repeat. On 5 shot revolvers we compensate after the first two rounds

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom