What do yall think about the CHL shooting test?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Texas Concealed Handgun License Proficiency Demonstration Course of Fire

The following course of fire is required for proficiency demonstration. To successfully qualify, shooters must complete this course with a minimum score of 70% (175 out of possible 250). For CHL Instructors, the minimum score is 90% (225 out of possible 250). If any malfunctions are encountered, the shooter will work through the problem and finish the course of fire. If rounds are held (not fired within the allotted time), the shots will be scored as misses. All courses of fire will be scored on a standard B-27 target. The B-27 target must be 24 inches by 45 inches and may be one of four colors; black, blue, red, or green. The target shall be scored utilizing the 5, 4, 3 scoring diagram in the upper left hand corner.

Stage 1: Twenty shots (20) will be fired from 3 yards.

A. Five (5) shots fired in a “One Shot Exercise” 2 seconds allowed for each shot.

B. Ten shots (10) fired in a “Two Shot Exercise” 3 seconds allowed for each two shot sequence.

C. Five (5) shots fired in 10 seconds

Stage 2: Twenty shots (20) will be fired from 7 yards – fired 5 stages.

A. Five (5) shots will be fired in 10 seconds

B. Five (5) shots will be fired in 2 stages:

1. Two (2) shots will be fired in 4 seconds

2. Three (3) shots will be fired in 6 seconds

C. Five (5) shots fired in a “One Shot Exercise” 3 seconds allowed for each shot.

D. Five (5) shots fired in 15 seconds.

Stage 3: Ten shots (10) fired from 15 yards – fired in two 5-shot strings.

A. Five (5) shots fired in two stages:

1. Two (2) shots fired in 6 seconds.

2. Three (3) shots fired in 9 seconds.

B. Five (5) shots fired in 15 seconds.
    Guns International

dtownmj

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Thanks to all. My question was more about the need to reload during the test, which was answered by a few people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeyJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Tomball
    This is off on a bit of a tangent, but do most instructors collect and destroy the targets after the test? I took my LTC class yesterday and the instructor collected everyone's target and threw them away. He also said to delete any pictures that we might have taken of the target. His reasoning was that he only reports pass/fail to the state. If we end up using our gun in a defensive situation, the state or the BG's attorney will use our proficiency against us to ask "you shot 250 on the proficiency test. Why didn't you try to shoot the weapon out of the attacker/my client's hand rather than shooting him?" (The instructor acknowledged that shooting a weapon out of the attacker's had was not the proper course of action.) While I can see an attorney with an agenda going this route (for the record, I'm an attorney, but not a litigator, so be kind...), I thought this was a bit extreme. (Also for the record, my target was already in my range bag, so he didn't get mine. I wanted to hang it on my fridge, but my wife wouldn't let me.)

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    In Tulsa, I shot "combat" pistol matches that started from a holster draw, included strong side, weak side, barricades and various other stress raisers. Most matches had mandatory reloads and everything was on the clock.

Later, I shot high power rifle competition for nearly 8 years and similar stress raisers were built into the stages. We dropped into NRA positions from standing, had rapid fire, mandatory reloads and, of course, the clock, all designed to stress us. Bonnie threw up before her first HP rifle match! Later, she developed a real "cool."

Some things were true about that stress.
    Under stress, your hearing diminishes and you may not hear the commands. That's "Auditory Exclusion".
    Vision narrows and you lose peripheral vision.
    The "fumbles" take over as you wrestle with magazines and equipment.
    Stress may cause you to forget basic safety rules.
    Frustration sets in and when you lose your cool, you lose.
    External noise, other people moving about, guns firing close to you and similar distractions mess with your head.

As you become accustomed to the stress and gain more experience with it, the negative effect on your shooting proficiency is less.

Those stress raisers are an important part of the LTC test to see if you can function with a gun as the world around you is turning to crap. It's a good test and exposing the shooters to stress will make them better gun handlers and shooters.

Flash

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    This is off on a bit of a tangent, but do most instructors collect and destroy the targets after the test? I took my LTC class yesterday and the instructor collected everyone's target and threw them away. He also said to delete any pictures that we might have taken of the target. His reasoning was that he only reports pass/fail to the state. If we end up using our gun in a defensive situation, the state or the BG's attorney will use our proficiency against us to ask "you shot 250 on the proficiency test. Why didn't you try to shoot the weapon out of the attacker/my client's hand rather than shooting him?" (The instructor acknowledged that shooting a weapon out of the attacker's had was not the proper course of action.) While I can see an attorney with an agenda going this route (for the record, I'm an attorney, but not a litigator, so be kind...), I thought this was a bit extreme. (Also for the record, my target was already in my range bag, so he didn't get mine. I wanted to hang it on my fridge, but my wife wouldn't let me.)
    that is ignorance.

I am an instructor. Yours missed the mark on that topic

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    I must have had the same instructor. Sounded plausible at the time. but seems more plausible your frequency and quality of practice LATELY, if any?, would have more of a bearing on such a line of questioning. Not that such a line makes any sense! How can you "practice" a life or death situation? You can practice all sorts of things, but who practices a loaded gun aimed at you by someone intending to actually shoot you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gravy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2015
    Jacksonville, TX
    At the range today a husband and wife team decided to shoot after their CHL class in the lane next to mine. After about a half an hour of shooting I saw the wife shoot the target holder clean off the track at a distance of about 7yds. That was at a height of about 7 feet and she couldn't stop laughing for a couple of minutes. I felt much safer once that happened because they no longer had anything to shoot at and left.
    When you stand next to that at the range, you wish people payed more attention in the class.
    With that being said, the CHL class is only as good as the amount of effort an individual putts in to being safe and smart.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    On the contrary, the CHL class is not the place to learn to shoot and be safe. IMO, the real purpose of the CHL range test should be to show proficiency with loading/operating the weapon safely, demonstrate safe ops on the range, and be reasonably accurate.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    On the contrary, the CHL class is not the place to learn to shoot and be safe. IMO, the real purpose of the CHL range test should be to show proficiency with loading/operating the weapon safely, demonstrate safe ops on the range, and be reasonably accurate.

This.

Sent from my HAL 9000

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    The shooting proficiency is to demonstrate the knowledge and skill of the shooter........not to teach them......

Although it is a two way street, some instructors don't know what the heck they're doing either......

jmho...

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!

Total BS!

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    At the range today a husband and wife team decided to shoot after their CHL class in the lane next to mine. After about a half an hour of shooting I saw the wife shoot the target holder clean off the track at a distance of about 7yds. That was at a height of about 7 feet and she couldn't stop laughing for a couple of minutes. I felt much safer once that happened because they no longer had anything to shoot at and left.
    When you stand next to that at the range, you wish people payed more attention in the class.
    With that being said, the CHL class is only as good as the amount of effort an individual putts in to being safe and smart.

Though I don't agree with her laughing about it, it sounds like she was fatiqued. It happens and not something paying attention in the CHL class is going to teach you.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

By that logic I also need to rub out the instructor and other students who saw me shoot and could testify against me.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Saccaayo
    Top Bottom