• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I have been looking at some laser sights. I guess I was shocked at how expensive they are, and I was wondering if yall thought they were actually useful.

My first impression is that they wouldn't be that useful, but I'm open.

I'm talking about defense shooting.

Thanks.
    Venture Surplus ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Train with and learn to shoot with standard sights. After that, Lasers can be useful.

The other night we had a noise outside of the house after midnight. I have a Surefire light mounted to the Kimber, but with the soft light of the exterior lights I could identify a target without the Surefire. I have night sights also, but even then I thought a Laser would certainly be welcomed.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I think they are very useful once you are proficient without them. I see them as any other tool, they are helpful. You still need to be able to aim without them, but it would be nice to have one when you need it. A combo unit, one with a laser and a light is probably the best. You want to be able to identify an object before shooting it.......unless you live alone and are awakened by someone in your home when nobody else should be there, then you can probably skip the 'identifying' part and proceed straight to shooting.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I've got zero experience with laser sights.

I think they're a crutch. I imagine there is a productive way to use them, but like I said, I've not ever tried them, nor do I know anything about them on depth as an SD tool on my tool :)

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Lasers are particularly useful for new shooters that flinch or push. By using one at an indoor range, they can see first hand what they are doing while pulling the trigger. It gives a great illustration of something they may not even believe they are doing.

In a dark environment, even with night sights, a laser will give a better indication of what you are pointing toward.

I think they have their merits, but you should take time to become proficient with standard sights.

I read an article in one of my mags, which is at the office, that gave some advantages that lasers offer. I only have a couple of them on firearms and they are great for their intended use. However, I don't have any on a carry weapon.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I good flash light to proper ID what your shooting at makes more sense to me. I do have a few laser. They show you how unsteady you are.

Okay, you're killing me here. I think it's a tactical, but the rear sight is all wrong and the front sight is too short. Did you add a threaded barrel to a full-size or change the sights on a tactical?

P.S. - nice hiking boots.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Laser sights are an incredibly useful tool. There are things you can do with them that you could not do without them. Here are a bunch of vids that should give people a little insight:

YouTube - Shots In The Dark- Crimson Trace
    YouTube - Shots in the Dark(part.2)- Crimson Trace
    YouTube - Crimson Trace Laser Sights(Accuracy On The Move)
    DVD, The Art Of Survival Laser Tactics :: Crimson Trace
    Laser Training and Defense Techniques
    Master Trainers Summit 2003

The ability to accurately aim while in an unconventional position (maybe laying on the ground after being knocked over for example) and with the gun out of your sight line is a very useful tool.

Out of all the brands out there that I've seen, Crimson Trace are the only ones I'd trust personally as they have seen quite a bit of usage in the sandbox as well as in law enforcement. I've seen enough highly reputable trainers endorse them that I am sold on them. I need to get a set for my Sig so I can take it to events and let people try them out.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    The PT1911 I had previously came with Crimson Trace grips. I really enjoyed them. It is a good idea to be proficient with the standard sights, but as an additional tool, I find them useful. I am planning on getting the Veridian X5L for my XDm40.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    As long as you keep them sighted in, they are good. I wonder how many people set-and-forget about them? It is a mechanical device and needs to be checked and adjusted from time-to-time.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I have tried them on my Kimber and don't like them.
    It is never dark in my house as we leave one light on in the living room which also throws light into the kitchen and hallway. Ergo no need at home. Outdoors in the city, it is never dark enough that I can't see my front sight.

In the country It may get that dark and if I can't see them then they can't see me. The bad guys don't do night vision or at least the ones in my neighborhood haven't stolen them yet.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Never owned a laser on anything....don't plan on it either. Its just one more thing to get dependent on and it breaks at a not so good moment.

Besides, the stats pretty much dictate that if you DO have to use your pistol in self defense, you'r probably going to not need sights of any kind or be able to pick up the red dot because it will happen too quickly. talk to anyone that has had to do this....almost none say they even saw their sights.

Besides, I think lasers make for some lazy shooters. Buy lots of ammo and practice point-shooting or don't carry. I would not rely on a laser...but don't they look cool in a movie! LOL

- brickboy240

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    I imagine there is a productive way to use them, <snip>
    Yep.

First you use this laser:
    gltd.jpg

Which is followed up with these projectiles:
    formation75.jpg

With this result:
    bombdamage1915s.jpg

Long story short: I think they're a crutch, too. Hey, they make great cat toys, though
    gr_grin.gif

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    I had a laser for my last duty pistol, a Glock 21C. The reason I put it on was for the situation where I was about to use deadly force, I would turn it on and make certain (if I had the chance) to announce to the about to be recipient to look at his/her chest and I want to understand what is about to happen.

Hopefully, they would then see the error of their ways and cease the behavior that brought all this attention to bear.

Never got a chance to test this theory and now carry a S&W M&P 45 without a laser.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Personally I think they're a great accessory, however I always recommend to people to learn to use the iron sights on any gun before they start using lasers. You can always revert to a backup sight or the iron sights if a laser fails, but if you just learn to use a laser and never learn how to use the iron sights your screwed, cause now that gun has just become a really expensive paper weight, cause at that point its worthless to you because you don't know how to aim with it.

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    A laser can be very helpful for home defense if your only half awake when you need to use it. It can also be a crutch if you don't practice without it.

Top Bottom