• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    The next step in big government data collection, thought not really all that new.
    I have heard of at least two recent serial killer/cold case investigations in the past 2 months solved by the police using familial DNA found in databases that people voluntarily send in their DNA to for all sorts of reasons.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    How about no? In the same vein I don't understand why anybody would by an Alexa, Siri, Google Home device. Just what I always wanted! Paying to be wiretapped!

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Theres no way I’d voluntarily give my DNA to a company like 23 and Me after reading their privacy policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    How about no? In the same vein I don't understand why anybody would by an Alexa, Siri, Google Home device. Just what I always wanted! Paying to be wiretapped!

Yup.

This actually happened:
    An Amazon Echo recorded a family’s conversation, then sent it to a random person in their contacts, report says

A family in Portland, Ore., received a nightmarish phone call two weeks ago.

“Unplug your Alexa devices right now,” a voice on the other line said. “You’re being hacked.”

Apparently, one of Amazon.com’s Alexa-powered Echo devices in their house had silently sent recordings to the caller without the family’s permission, according to KIRO 7, a news station covering Seattle and western Washington state that first reported the story. The person, an employee of the husband, was in the family’s contact list.

“My husband and I would joke and say, ‘I’d bet these devices are listening to what we’re saying,’ ” a woman who identified herself only by her first name, Danielle, told KIRO. She added that the device did not tell her that it would be sending the recorded conversations.

Amazon said in an emailed statement to The Washington Post on Thursday afternoon that the Echo woke up when it heard a word that sounded like “Alexa.” “The subsequent conversation was heard as a ‘send message’ request. At which point, Alexa said out loud ‘To whom?’ At which point, the background conversation was interpreted as a name in the customer's contact list."

The company also said, “As unlikely as this string of events is, we are evaluating options to make this case even less likely.”

(Amazon’s chief executive, Jeffrey P. Bezos, owns The Washington Post.)

This isn’t the first time that Amazon's smart speaker has garnered scrutiny over potential eavesdropping. Last month, researchers discovered a flaw in the Alexa voice assistant, enabling an Echo to continue listening to people without them knowing. The devices are supposed to record audio only after users issue a voice command, known as a “wake word.” Amazon quickly fixed the vulnerability after researchers alerted the company.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-random-person-in-their-contacts-report-says/

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Another thing to lug around when you move. Hell, the kids don't even want the Christmas ornaments the wife bought them over the years. You think someone wants to keep multiple generations of these things that probably just have tap water stored in them? The spouse and I have already decided on cremation and scatter our ashes so someone doesn't feel guilty for not visiting our graves and gets twisted up due to the cemetery not keeping the grounds in pristine condition.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I have put it down that I am to be cremated, but in all actuality, after I'm dead I can give a rat's ass what anyone does with me.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yup.

This actually happened:
    An Amazon Echo recorded a family’s conversation, then sent it to a random person in their contacts, report says

A family in Portland, Ore., received a nightmarish phone call two weeks ago.

“Unplug your Alexa devices right now,” a voice on the other line said. “You’re being hacked.”

Apparently, one of Amazon.com’s Alexa-powered Echo devices in their house had silently sent recordings to the caller without the family’s permission, according to KIRO 7, a news station covering Seattle and western Washington state that first reported the story. The person, an employee of the husband, was in the family’s contact list.

“My husband and I would joke and say, ‘I’d bet these devices are listening to what we’re saying,’ ” a woman who identified herself only by her first name, Danielle, told KIRO. She added that the device did not tell her that it would be sending the recorded conversations.

Amazon said in an emailed statement to The Washington Post on Thursday afternoon that the Echo woke up when it heard a word that sounded like “Alexa.” “The subsequent conversation was heard as a ‘send message’ request. At which point, Alexa said out loud ‘To whom?’ At which point, the background conversation was interpreted as a name in the customer's contact list."

The company also said, “As unlikely as this string of events is, we are evaluating options to make this case even less likely.”

(Amazon’s chief executive, Jeffrey P. Bezos, owns The Washington Post.)

This isn’t the first time that Amazon's smart speaker has garnered scrutiny over potential eavesdropping. Last month, researchers discovered a flaw in the Alexa voice assistant, enabling an Echo to continue listening to people without them knowing. The devices are supposed to record audio only after users issue a voice command, known as a “wake word.” Amazon quickly fixed the vulnerability after researchers alerted the company.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-random-person-in-their-contacts-report-says/

I'd have a lot of pissed off family members... My wife and usually talk family smack while eating dinner. Then again... it's all truthful stuff. Maybe it would improve moral. Lol

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Saw a funny meme recently.

1968 - "don't say anything bad, they might wiretap my phone ."

2018 - "hey wiretap, give me a recipe for beef stroganoff."

Top Bottom