Guns International

What do you guys think about the new Ruger LCR .38 Revolver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I held one yesterday and was some what taken back by the feel and fit.
    It reminded me of a toy gun that my grandson plays with.
    Very light, plastic feeling, although the trigger was pretty nice. I think Ruger did a fine job on that part of the gun but overall I'm not impressed and I'm a big Ruger fan.
    On weight alone I would never use this a range gun or shot it very often.
    Secondly with its light weight I wounder how fast sight re-acquisition is?
    I'll stick with my "J" frames for now.
    Guns International

j.r.flaco

May 26, 2008
    Austin
    Ruger LCR .38 REV.

I checked out the LCR at Tex guns and here is my take: unrealistically light, missing classic revolver lines, does look like a $10 cap gun, very thin forcing cone & cylinder wall thickness and cost of over $550 but I could be wrong on price. I love the 4 Rugers I own and just put a LCP on lay-a-way. I would rather have Ruger come out with a lighter weight version of the SP101; this does have classic revolver lines. I will give credit to Ruger for thinking outside of the box. As a side note I would like them to come out with their version of the Kel-Tec P11 in 9mm, .40 S&W perhaps .45 acp.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    We got one, sold one, and a gal comes in with her's from time to time. It's basically the classic light gun in terms of shooting. Alot of punch in the hand. The trigger is a tad bit better than the Smith's but I'm not really sold on either.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Feb 1, 2009
    I've got an original S&W 640c Centennial in stainless, with Crimson Trace grips. Rated for +P+. Bought it new in the late '80s. Its heavy as hell and I'd trade it for the new LCR in a heartbeat. Recoil is not such an issue with a heavy frame. That and I don't know anybody that even makes +P+ loads anymore.

nhm16

Jan 27, 2009
    I have one, bought it when it first became available. Paid $450 for it at Academy. Put about 250 rounds through it since. I love it. Have an S&W 442 also, both guns are for all intents and purposes the same functionally except that the Ruger has a much better trigger. As for cosmetics, it's a matter of taste but I think the Ruger actually looks more "finished" than the S&W, with fewer visible screws and a very cool looking cylinder.

Edit: I also like the built-in lock better in the Ruger... it's hidden under the grip, and out of the way of the trigger group, so you never have to think about it.

Top Bottom