Lynx Defense

What do you guys think about the new Ruger LCR .38 Revolver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vellcrow

Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    I think they suck. I fired one with standard .38 loads, and it was too hard on the hand...and I am not a "recoil sensitive" person. A lighter gun is fine, but this one is too light. It's like the .38 round is going off directly in your hand. I would hate to fire +P out of it.

I have not found any customers that are totally happy with theirs yet.

TxSteel54

Jan 28, 2009
    Northeast Texas
    I havent shot a Ruger LCR but I do carry a S&W Airweight Model 642 (which is very similar) as a backup weapon when I'm on duty. For that purpose, I like mine but Vellcrow does have a point that those small guns definately pack a punch.....it's not TOO bad but the first time I shot it, I realized that you really have to have proper grip and trigger control to shoot this gun accurately.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    May 25, 2009
    I'm guessing it's the grip that makes the recoil so bad? My wife has a 38 special from Charter Arms and the recoil is surprisingly soft for such a light weapon. It has a full size grip on it, and the recoil is less than my 9mm Hi-Power. It's actually fun to shoot, but since hers is pink, I don't shoot it much.

tex45acp

Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    I love my Rugers......heck I have 5 of them, but that is one ugly revolver and if I were given one for free I would give it away to another or trade it on one of ruger's other fine looking revolvers. No LCR for this Ruger fan!!! Please keep in mind that this is my humble and very negative opinion!!!

dee

Well-Known
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I love my Rugers......heck I have 5 of them, but that is one ugly revolver and if I were given one for free I would give it away to another or trade it on one of ruger's other fine looking revolvers. No LCR for this Ruger fan!!! Please keep in mind that this is my humble and very negative opinion!!!

I agree, to me its just a bad eyesore in the Ruger catalog.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I would not have anything in an ultralight. I am not recoil sensitive but there is a limit. Also the LCP.380 has had all kinds of problems from what I have heard from people who own them. They are fine for about 300-500 rounds then they start to break.

That being said, the LCP is not a range gun and if you shot 50 rounds through it to break it in and see where it shoots, you probably would never have a problem. The same can be said for a Lorcin.380 and you get 13 rounds of Magazine capicity.{ and it will cost about 200 dollars less}

I suspect the LCR will have the same issues. Not a range gun, and for about the same money you can buy a good stainless snubbie that will last forever AND can be a range gun.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    My cousin has a Rossie Stainless steel snubby 357mag and the recoil on it is fine. I shot it with 357mag and the 38's. The only problem with the 357mag I had to re grip the gun every 2 or 3 shots. I would recommend the Rossie as cheap and pretty comfortable to shoot to.
    Ps that is one ugly gun. I probably misspelled Rossie but I tried and the all mighty spell checker says I's wrong so I "fixed" it.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I liked it, got to handle one at the gun shop the other day.

It was really light, and fit good which was odd for my bigger hands. If i had an extra 500 bucks, I'd get one with a holster to boot, that and I think it looks pretty good too...

Might want to wait on that and see if they have a big recall.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    yeah, like the .327 magnums going in for cracked cylinders....

A LOT of them have been there for 3+ months after the consumer bought them

something about normal .32 caliber shoots at an avg 28,000 PSI chamber pressure. The .327 magnum generates right at 40,000PSI

the metallurgical composition wasn't quite right and they were asked to be sent in under a recall...

Yup. I do believe the .327 was a solution for a problem that did not exist.

Nothing sucks worse than sending your new gun back to the maker and not having it for three to four months while they fix something that could have been corrected during the quality control phase of manufacturing.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You'd think Ruger would be doing more testing.

The LCP, SR9, and the .327s have all been recalled or constantly sent back. While Ruger did fix them, it's just a growing trend with them.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I handled one of these for the first time at Sportsman's Finest and I was disgusted at how it felt... I almost felt like I had one of the airsoft guns in my hand that my brother and I used to pelt each other with... something made to shoot pellets, not 38 special rounds and most certainly not +P... I love my Ruger SP101 but I would not and will not get one of these things... when I do pickup my alloy framed tuck away it will probably be a J-Frame, or a Taurus, this one will have to remain on the shelf as I walk by...

Top Bottom