• ...and so much more!
  • zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    OK...

So it's another KIND of shooting. Any photography buffs in here? If so, what are you shooting?

I'm currently using an Olympus C8080 WideZoom with a gaggle of accessories. I have a Canon A560 as my backup 7.1 megapixel quickie camera. I'm planning to move over to a Nikon D80 Digital SLR so that I can use all of my 35mm Nikon lenses with it.

Good photos take just as much skill as shooting becoming a good shot at the range.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Hey Zem,
    Been shooting 35mm slides since early '60s. Love to watch slides projected onto 6 foot screen. Almost as good as the real thing. Primary interests are wildlife and landscapes while traveling in the Rockies. Used Minolta and Nikon SLR's before moving into Leica R series. Currently using R9 with several lenses up to 280mm with matching 1.4/2x telextenders.

Good shooting and be safe.
    LB

ps: On our last trip to Tetons/Yellowstone, saw and photographed a mama Grizzly bear with three 2 year old cubs at a distance of 50 yds. Watched them for nearly an hour.

jim t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Hawley Texas
    come on guys, I am not a camera guy but you could at least post a few pictures for us to see. the grizzly and cubs sound great. and yellowstone and the tetons man that is some beautiful country. pleaseeeeeeezzzzz:rolleyes:

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Am having problems with PhotoBucket today and can't resize images. These may be too large. Can't post my 35mm Kodachrome slides but can post a couple of pics taken with my wife's digital camera (Leica VLux1):

Oxbow Bend in Grand Tetons:
    397Y.gif

Grizzly in Grand Tetons/Yellowstone area:
    432Y.gif

LB

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Mama grizzly (ursus horribilis) and three 2 year old cubs:

436B.gif

Bull Elk in full growth:

333C.gif

LB

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Show us your new picture box. Digital cameras are as bad as personal computers in becoming out of date the day after you buy them. My wife is on her second or third digital camera in less than two years. Guess I am just an old dinosaur but I still love shooting color slides with 35mm SLR cameras and Kodachrome 64 film. Unfortunately that combination isn't easy to share via the internet (doesn't scan well) so I have to use her digital camera for pics to be posted.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    That Minolta brings back memories. Many years ago I had a Minolta SR7 SLR camera. That was my first "real" 35 mm camera and it was a good one. Back then the built-in meter didn't read through the lens. There was a small 1/4" light meter aperture on the camera's upper front side. You had to be careful not to cover it up with your left hand while holding the camera. This difficulty finally led me to upgrade with a Nikon F2/HP SLR with through-the-lens metering which I used for several years before replacing it with a pair of Nikon F4 cameras. Must have used those two cameras for 20-25 years and then switched to Leica R8/9 SLR's. Excuse the trip down memory lane but the Minolta pic just touched off a bit of nostalgia. Back to the present, hope you enjoy your Konica-Minolta camera.

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Zem,
    Nice pic. Looks like you are off to a good start with the K-Minolta. We usually have some trouble getting the exposure and contrast settings dialed in on my wife's digital cameras.

Ishtacka

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Dickinson, Tx
    Got a Nikon D40 for Christmas. This feels like I am a dunce when it comes to taking pictures. I know what I want, I know the camera can do it, I just need to figure out how. There are books, and websites, and videos, but I think good ol' fashioned practice will get me what I desire. One of my biggest problems as of now is taking pictures of handguns. I've seen great ones, I want great ones. Just need to figure out how.Ish

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Got a Nikon D40 for Christmas. This feels like I am a dunce when it comes to taking pictures. I know what I want, I know the camera can do it, I just need to figure out how. There are books, and websites, and videos, but I think good ol' fashioned practice will get me what I desire. One of my biggest problems as of now is taking pictures of handguns. I've seen great ones, I want great ones. Just need to figure out how.Ish

The main tricks I've seen and noticed is light boxes. You can get good depth perception of the angles and lettering on the gun using secondary light sources. I've found that natural light is king for making amateur shots look good. Not only that, but tripod, tripod, tripod. It makes a HUGE difference in picture quality.

I have an Olympus 8080 and have been taking a few pictures here and there of my USPc. I figured out those two things above.

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    just bought the wife a rebel xsi. this is her second dslr. we had a d50 before but i ended up selling it because she wasnt using it. little did i know id be kicking myself in the ass later on (right now) for doing that. but im happy with the xsi. i hope she sticks with it this time.

Top Bottom