Gun Zone Deals

What do you think about this brisket cook time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    billtool,

PERSONALLY, I prefer NO mesquite for smoking, as I don't care for the taste.

Make mine PEACH or PECAN with some GREEN HICKORY. I use OAK only if I cannot get enough peach/pecan/hickory.

just my OPINION, satx
    Beef and ribs with pecan. Other pork cuts apple. HEB has both in good supply. Chips that is.
    Guns International

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Beef and ribs with pecan. Other pork cuts apple. HEB has both in good supply. Chips that is.

cygunner,

FYI, I do NOT use "chips" for BBQ, though i have sometimes used "chips" for burgers/sausages/etc.

When POSSIBLE, I cut/split my own BBQ wood.
    (As I'm FROM Camp County, the home of pretty horses, fast women & many commercial peach orchards, I seldom have had difficulty getting plenty of PEACH to do my BBQ.)
    (CAMP COUNTY, TEXAS, according to THE PITTSBURG GAZETTE, produces MORE peaches than the entire state of GA. Further, the county is FAST becoming a place for commercial vineyards/wineries.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    My biggest concern is wood cut with a chainsaw and the bar oil on the wood itself messing with the taste!

baboon,

SO FAR, I have NOT had that possible problem. - I hope that my experience remains the same in the future.

In 2021, I do little actual BBQing, inasmuch as my "big pit" is back home & "in the custody of" an old HS friend, with whom I "ran track", LONG, LONG ago.
    (NEITHER of us are "as fleet of foot" NOR as "wiry of body" as we were in 1963. = CHUCKLE.)

"Gary J" gets to use the pit to BBQ & I don't have to pay to have it stored at the local "U-STORE-IT" place.

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    bbq1.jpg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I don’t use lighter fluid in my Kamado because they warn against it! Y’all need to remember that I’m dealing with a ceramic cooker. They are said to absorb and hold flavors

I do use a small amount of charcoal and lighter fluid to get my smoker going. Probably about 8 to 10 briquets. Once they get a good amount of ash on them, I start loading on the wood. By the time the smoker is building some heat and smoke, all the lighter fluid has burned off.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I do use a small amount of charcoal and lighter fluid to get my smoker going. Probably about 8 to 10 briquets. Once they get a good amount of ash on them, I start loading on the wood. By the time the smoker is building some heat and smoke, all the lighter fluid has burned off.
    I have seen people use gasoline, but it doesn’t mean I will!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I don’t use lighter fluid in my Kamado because they warn against it! Y’all need to remember that I’m dealing with a ceramic cooker. They are said to absorb and hold flavors

baboon,

IF you had a "butane tank cooker", you would NOT worry about things like that, that seem to effect smaller pits.
    (MINE was once an 800 gallon LPG tank, that my Uncle Jimmy welded up for me about 15 years ago. - It's on a "junked" ski-boat trailer chassis = On the occasions that I make the effort to BBQ these days, it's for "a crowd".)

yours, satx

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    baboon,

IF you had a "butane tank cooker", you would NOT worry about things like that, that seem to effect smaller pits.
    (MINE was once an 800 gallon LPG tank, that my Uncle Jimmy welded up for me about 15 years ago. - It's on a "junked" ski-boat trailer chassis = On the occasions that I BBQ, it's for "a crowd".)

yours, satx
    A person can do more on a Kamado then the a tank cooker without as much fuel! The thickness of the ceramics take & hold high temperatures too.

I’m not down on the plantation cooking 300 yardbirds and a spit pig. I figured what I bought should produce more than enough for the few people that I would choose to break bread with.

I figure I could do $200.00 of dinosaur ribs if I chose to do so. $200.00 worth of meat means a $500.00 party.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    baboon,

(MINE was once an 800 gallon LPG tank, that my Uncle Jimmy welded up for me about 15 years ago. - It's on a "junked" ski-boat trailer chassis = On the occasions that I make the effort to BBQ these days, it's for "a crowd".)

yours, satx

We'd like to see pictures of this BBQ pit.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Try looking at "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus"

Many years ago, I did some trading with a co-worker and ended up with a really nice trailer mounted BBQ smoker. Co-worker did some amateur BBQ cook-offs on his days off. It was mounted on a 12 foot trailer.

I didn't keep it very long. It was a really nice rig, but just way too big, and people started thinking I should be cooking BBQ for everyone and every event that rolled around. Guys at work wanted me to bring it to shop and cook all the time. I did a couple of times, but I got to where when asked, I'd tell them to go buy some meat and wood and I'd think about bringing it! Funny thing is, no one was willing to fork out the money for the meat and the wood to run the rig.

I ended up selling it for a decent price, and had a custom one made that was much smaller and would hold two nice sized briskets. It could could plenty enough for our family.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Many years ago, I did some trading with a co-worker and ended up with a really nice trailer mounted BBQ smoker. Co-worker did some amateur BBQ cook-offs on his days off. It was mounted on a 12 foot trailer.

I didn't keep it very long. It was a really nice rig, but just way too big, and people started thinking I should be cooking BBQ for everyone and every event that rolled around. Guys at work wanted me to bring it to shop and cook all the time. I did a couple of times, but I got to where when asked, I'd tell them to go buy some meat and wood and I'd think about bringing it! Funny thing is, no one was willing to fork out the money for the meat and the wood to run the rig.

I ended up selling it for a decent price, and had a custom one made that was much smaller and would hold two nice sized briskets. It could could plenty enough for our family.
    I have a badass screened in back porch. I’d rather enjoy cooking out inside it, then outside on a trailer in the sun& rain.

I have plenty of room for a trailer mounted smoker, but then I’d have neighbors asking stupid shit like what you cooking & when is it going to be done!

When I win the Powerball and buy a plantation I opt for a nice colonial plantation brick pit/ grill / smoker for the machine gun shoots!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I have a badass screened in back porch. I’d rather enjoy cooking out inside it, then outside on a trailer in the sun& rain.

I have plenty of room for a trailer mounted smoker, but then I’d have neighbors asking stupid shit like what you cooking & when is it going to be done!

When I win the Powerball and buy a plantation I opt for a nice colonial plantation brick pit/ grill / smoker for the machine gun shoots!

baboon,

You are 100% CORRECT.

IF you had a BIG cooker, you WOULD get emails/calls/conversations F2F "in town" about, "When are you & Kathleen going to cook pigs again??"
    OR
    "Can you cook enough for our church picnic?"
    OR
    "Can I borrow your BBQ pit?? ------- I want to have a party for _______________."

SEE how SMART that you are to NOT have a BIG smoker?? = CHUCKLE.

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

That's me too! I have more than enough room for a trailer mounted rig, and enough land for the beef and hogs to put on the smoker.

Even if I won the Lottery, I'd still not own another trailer mounted rig. Personally, I don't want that many people around me anymore.

I guess if I was rich southern gentleman, sitting on my veranda on my colonial mansion, drinking mint juleps in the cool shade watching the hired help tending to the smoker, that might be different!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    That's me too! I have more than enough room for a trailer mounted rig, and enough land for the beef and hogs to put on the smoker.

Even if I won the Lottery, I'd still not own another trailer mounted rig. Personally, I don't want that many people around me anymore.

I guess if I was rich southern gentleman, sitting on my veranda on my colonial mansion, drinking mint juleps in the cool shade watching the hired help tending to the smoker, that might be different!
    Invite BLM over for a Bar B Que wash it down with some Jim Jones Kool-aid feed the hogs & gators!

Top Bottom