What do you think about this brisket cook time?

satx78247

TGT Addict
Jun 23, 2014
And you probably didn't want to eat a chicken for several weeks if not months at least that's the way I was after the Jaycee food booth at the Benton County Tennessee Fair where we served hamburgers and steaks ruined on the griddle among other things. East of the Mississippi barbecue almost exclusively means whole pork shoulder, a rarity in Texas.
cygunner,

Fwiw, after a whole day, that started before 0400 & ended well after 2200, I wanted a GRILLED CHESE SANDWICH, an order of STEAK FRIES & a jumbo Dr. Pepper from the local DAIRY TERRY..

NOPE, NO chicken, of any sort whatever, for me for quite a while. = TRUST me, smelling chicken cooking for that many hours, ENDS your interest in eating BBQ'd bird.
(Nonetheless, over 1,000.oo net profit for one day's work is NOT bad, when it comes to what it takes to keep a small town LION'S CLUB's service projects "in the black" for a good while.)

yours, satx

Higgins909

Apr 7, 2016
Hutto
There are a lot of variations here. We never let it rest. When the time was up, we pulled it out and unwrapped it and cut it up. After a while of helping with the fires, I wanted to cook it in the oven after smoking it. We never did and we used the mesquite as firewood. We got a short bed full of it for about $30 and some gas, but I thought we were wasting it.

Something I'm currently wondering. I picked out a 15lbs~ brisket. I was looking up how to cut the point off and was wanting to do that. Then freeze it for later. Maybe make burnt ends or chopped brisket or whatever I can figure out. What do you guys think about this? I may have bought the wrong smoker for briskets. (Masterbuilt 40" tower thing) My brisket might have 1/2" from the wall in some areas, as it is.

Note: seems I didn't actually post this. Came back to my computer to find this written.

baboon

TGT Addict
Let’s talk why some choose the wrap their brisket. It can speed up the cook some and help retain moisture. Commercial pitmasters will wrap much later than the stall to help holdover the brisket until it’s ready to be sliced without breaking down the crust. Pink is unwaxed, white is waxed. Wax doesn’t really do well when heated. I’ve done ‘em au naturale and wrapped in foil or butcher paper and prefer mine without.

Other crutches I’ve seen is folks shooting ‘em up with beef stock, which I’ve never done.

It all comes down to taste and texture which is why I said brisket always sounds good, but I sure wouldn’t enjoy some of the recipes I’ve seen here.
Waxed is freezer paper unwaxed is butcher paper. I have seen white with fishes on it thats waxed. WTF about unbleached paper I seen it waxed & not? As fatty as a brisket especially the point is hard to believe it would hold much beef broth.

baboon

TGT Addict
There are a lot of variations here. We never let it rest. When the time was up, we pulled it out and unwrapped it and cut it up. After a while of helping with the fires, I wanted to cook it in the oven after smoking it. We never did and we used the mesquite as firewood. We got a short bed full of it for about $30 and some gas, but I thought we were wasting it.

Something I'm currently wondering. I picked out a 15lbs~ brisket. I was looking up how to cut the point off and was wanting to do that. Then freeze it for later. Maybe make burnt ends or chopped brisket or whatever I can figure out. What do you guys think about this? I may have bought the wrong smoker for briskets. (Masterbuilt 40" tower thing) My brisket might have 1/2" from the wall in some areas, as it is.

Note: seems I didn't actually post this. Came back to my computer to find this written.
The seam between the point & the flat are very well defined with fat. Stay in the white meat when your cutting, into the red you done or phuced up! my guess there a video on the www on how to separate the two.

billtool

Well-Known
Nov 16, 2008
The Wooldlands
I advi

I advise you mod your smoker to ensure a tight seal and go for it. It the brisket touches the side it won’t hurt. I’ve had three at a time going on my little OK Joe. Too- maybe invest in a vac sealing device. I just had some brisket I smoked back on 11/27 that had been vac packed and in the freezer. It was awesome.

Attachments

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
Jan 20, 2021
Cypress, TX
I advi

I advise you mod your smoker to ensure a tight seal and go for it. It the brisket touches the side it won’t hurt. I’ve had three at a time going on my little OK Joe. Too- maybe invest in a vac sealing device. I just had some brisket I smoked back on 11/27 that had been vac packed and in the freezer. It was awesome.
Sleep is overrated anyway.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Latest posts