Hurley's Gold

What do you think about this brisket cook time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Never seen a brisket getting wrapped in foil or paper in any of the brisket houses that I have ate at! And what’s up with pink butcher paper?

Then the next thing that comes to my mind is what’s safer bleach or unbleached paper? How much of any kind of butcher paper is recycled? Does imported butcher paper from the Chico’s spread COVID? Finally have they cleaned up the toxicity in paper mill?

MagnoliaTom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Texas
    Never seen a brisket getting wrapped in foil or paper in any of the brisket houses that I have ate at! And what’s up with pink butcher paper?

Then the next thing that comes to my mind is what’s safer bleach or unbleached paper? How much of any kind of butcher paper is recycled? Does imported butcher paper from the Chico’s spread COVID? Finally have they cleaned up the toxicity in paper mill?

Aaron Franklin wraps his in butcher paper. Lots of the highly thought of bbq places wrap with paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Aaron Franklin wraps his in butcher paper. Lots of the highly thought of bbq places wrap with paper.

The paper turns color under heat.
    Franklin's, Cooper's, etc cater to the masses. Time is money.
    I don't claim to compete with professionals.
    I just know that many people tell me, I should go professional.

I'm not interested.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Aiming to smoke my first brisket this Sunday. I hope I didn't wait too long to buy a brisket, as I'm going to buy Friday. I didn't realize it was mothers day. My dad has made 10-20 or so briskets when I lived with him. I got his recipe as I honestly think it's some of the best brisket I've ever had. I just wonder if it sounds good to you guys. Looking online the time varies a good amount.

Coat with olive oil (Does it need to be olive oil? Might skip this)
    Coarse salt or sea salt
    Table salt (probably skip?)
    Garlic salt
    Black pepper
    brisket rub

I used to be the fire starter/keeper helper. We used to smoke it with Mesquite which is what I got, for about 2-3hrs at 175F or 190F I'm not really sure. Then wrap it and cook it until about 6pm. I just have no idea what it weighed. The recipe says to cook for 5-8hrs at 220F after smoking for 2-3. I feel like we would start at 9-10am and be eating at 6, maybe 7pm. Which is 10hs max if I did my math right. I think the briskets used the be about 2-3inch thick and maybe 10" deep and then 18" wide.

We used to save the juice when we opened the wrap up and I think that is one of the reasons his is the best.

Edit: forgot to say we cook it at around 220F or whatever we could get with the wood fire, sometimes quite high.

Thanks,
    Higgins909

If your father made the best brisket you’ve had, why are you questioning his recipe and asking a gun forum?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Let’s talk why some choose the wrap their brisket. It can speed up the cook some and help retain moisture. Commercial pitmasters will wrap much later than the stall to help holdover the brisket until it’s ready to be sliced without breaking down the crust. Pink is unwaxed, white is waxed. Wax doesn’t really do well when heated. I’ve done ‘em au naturale and wrapped in foil or butcher paper and prefer mine without.

Other crutches I’ve seen is folks shooting ‘em up with beef stock, which I’ve never done.

It all comes down to taste and texture which is why I said brisket always sounds good, but I sure wouldn’t enjoy some of the recipes I’ve seen here.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    BBQ is like open carry vs CC on this site. There are a billion+ folks on this planet. There isn't a wrong way or a right way.

The only way to BBQ is invest the time. Try different things. BBQ doesn't end outside America/Texas.

Go ahead and cook inside the box. Like everyone else.

Witch Stir The Pot GIF - Witch StirThePot TimeToAddSomeShit GIFs

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

I have watched quite a few programs on the Discovery Channel and the Food Channel, and some BBQ restaurants do wrap their briskets in foil or butcher's paper after the brisket has smoked for a while. That was where I got the idea several years ago to start wrapping mine.

Not every BBQ restaurant or cook wraps, but some do and some like Aaron Franklin are award winning BBQ chefs.

Some years ago, the wife and I were in Austin and were going to eat at Franklin's BBQ, but there was the longest line waiting for BBQ! Went over to County Line BBQ over on the river instead.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Youngest son in law worked for Franklin's in college.
    We had lots of "free samples". It was OK.

Ya'll ask the old hands around here if I ever brought a mediocre brisket to a Hicksville meet.
    That was about a 3 hour trip, one way. Me and Robertc1024 put out some grub back in the day.

Sterling set the standard that we strove for. Around 2013 if I recall.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    BBQ is like open carry vs CC on this site. There are a billion+ folks on this planet. There isn't a wrong way or a right way.

The only way to BBQ is invest the time. Try different things. BBQ doesn't end outside America/Texas.

Go ahead and cook inside the box. Like everyone else.

Witch Stir The Pot GIF - Witch StirThePot TimeToAddSomeShit GIFs

^^^This.^^^

There many different methods of smoking a brisket. Every smoker a person uses, is different. Then there are the rubs! I have seen them from very simple, to very complex. And wood? Different woods create different flavor profiles to the brisket. To wrap, or not to wrap? That is the question! I have had some really great brisket that was wrapped, and some really great brisket that wasn't wrapped.

Smoking a brisket is about a journey, not a destination. U have been smoking briskets for well over thirty years and I'm still on the journey. For me, it's something I really enjoy, and it's a labor love for me.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    And you probably didn't want to eat a chicken for several weeks if not months at least that's the way I was after the Jaycee food booth at the Benton County Tennessee Fair where we served hamburgers and steaks ruined on the griddle among other things. East of the Mississippi barbecue almost exclusively means whole pork shoulder, a rarity in Texas.

cygunner,

Fwiw, after a whole day, that started before 0400 & ended well after 2200, I wanted a GRILLED CHESE SANDWICH, an order of STEAK FRIES & a jumbo Dr. Pepper from the local DAIRY TERRY..

NOPE, NO chicken, of any sort whatever, for me for quite a while. = TRUST me, smelling chicken cooking for that many hours, ENDS your interest in eating BBQ'd bird.
    (Nonetheless, over 1,000.oo net profit for one day's work is NOT bad, when it comes to what it takes to keep a small town LION'S CLUB's service projects "in the black" for a good while.)

yours, satx

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    There are a lot of variations here. We never let it rest. When the time was up, we pulled it out and unwrapped it and cut it up. After a while of helping with the fires, I wanted to cook it in the oven after smoking it. We never did and we used the mesquite as firewood. We got a short bed full of it for about $30 and some gas, but I thought we were wasting it.

Something I'm currently wondering. I picked out a 15lbs~ brisket. I was looking up how to cut the point off and was wanting to do that. Then freeze it for later. Maybe make burnt ends or chopped brisket or whatever I can figure out. What do you guys think about this? I may have bought the wrong smoker for briskets. (Masterbuilt 40" tower thing) My brisket might have 1/2" from the wall in some areas, as it is.

Note: seems I didn't actually post this. Came back to my computer to find this written.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Let’s talk why some choose the wrap their brisket. It can speed up the cook some and help retain moisture. Commercial pitmasters will wrap much later than the stall to help holdover the brisket until it’s ready to be sliced without breaking down the crust. Pink is unwaxed, white is waxed. Wax doesn’t really do well when heated. I’ve done ‘em au naturale and wrapped in foil or butcher paper and prefer mine without.

Other crutches I’ve seen is folks shooting ‘em up with beef stock, which I’ve never done.

It all comes down to taste and texture which is why I said brisket always sounds good, but I sure wouldn’t enjoy some of the recipes I’ve seen here.
    Waxed is freezer paper unwaxed is butcher paper. I have seen white with fishes on it thats waxed. WTF about unbleached paper I seen it waxed & not? As fatty as a brisket especially the point is hard to believe it would hold much beef broth.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    There are a lot of variations here. We never let it rest. When the time was up, we pulled it out and unwrapped it and cut it up. After a while of helping with the fires, I wanted to cook it in the oven after smoking it. We never did and we used the mesquite as firewood. We got a short bed full of it for about $30 and some gas, but I thought we were wasting it.

Something I'm currently wondering. I picked out a 15lbs~ brisket. I was looking up how to cut the point off and was wanting to do that. Then freeze it for later. Maybe make burnt ends or chopped brisket or whatever I can figure out. What do you guys think about this? I may have bought the wrong smoker for briskets. (Masterbuilt 40" tower thing) My brisket might have 1/2" from the wall in some areas, as it is.

Note: seems I didn't actually post this. Came back to my computer to find this written.
    The seam between the point & the flat are very well defined with fat. Stay in the white meat when your cutting, into the red you done or phuced up! my guess there a video on the www on how to separate the two.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I advi

I advise you mod your smoker to ensure a tight seal and go for it. It the brisket touches the side it won’t hurt. I’ve had three at a time going on my little OK Joe. Too- maybe invest in a vac sealing device. I just had some brisket I smoked back on 11/27 that had been vac packed and in the freezer. It was awesome.

Attachments

• 315078BD-DAC3-4DA3-8967-85ED70C938BE.jpeg
      315078BD-DAC3-4DA3-8967-85ED70C938BE.jpeg
      1.5 MB · Views: 77
    • CDA93B54-2879-4892-88F5-AE76AD8CD06B.jpeg
      CDA93B54-2879-4892-88F5-AE76AD8CD06B.jpeg
      1.6 MB · Views: 78

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    I advi

I advise you mod your smoker to ensure a tight seal and go for it. It the brisket touches the side it won’t hurt. I’ve had three at a time going on my little OK Joe. Too- maybe invest in a vac sealing device. I just had some brisket I smoked back on 11/27 that had been vac packed and in the freezer. It was awesome.
    Sleep is overrated anyway.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom