Capitol Armory ad

What do you think about this brisket cook time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Hate Mesquite for smoking. It’s good for grilling and light smoke.

Keep the temp between 250-275ish. It takes at least 8hr for a 12lb. I use salt and I can tell it’s done by poking it with a bamboo skewer after the bark looks right. It shouldn’t have much push or pull resistance on the skewer. Pepper and butter on it when it’s done in a foil pan and cover with foil.
    Hurley's Gold

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Hate Mesquite for smoking. It’s good for grilling and light smoke.

Keep the temp between 250-275ish. It takes at least 8hr for a 12lb. I use salt and I can tell it’s done by poking it with a bamboo skewer after the bark looks right. It shouldn’t have much push or pull resistance on the skewer. Pepper and butter on it when it’s done in a foil pan and cover with foil.
    I’m typically a fruit wood guy. Been digging pecan lately though. It’s cheaper and still fairly mild.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    Alright, so right now I don't think I really have any bark going on. I set it to 200 for about 1-2 hours then turned it up to 225 because I had smoke problems. It's been at 225 for about a hour now and I don't really see any bark. At the time I thought I put a lot of seasoning on it, but maybe not looking at SidewaysTA's pic.

I just remember smoking it around 175-190 with my dad. I decided on 200 after reading around a bit. The plan was to smoke it at 200 for 2-3 hours depending on bark and then the rest of the way at 220. But now I'm at a bit of a loss and questioning how we used to do it. I plan to smoke it until 11:30 since the smoke is now going. Maybe longer if advised. Wrap and keep at 225 or go to 250?

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Alright, so right now I don't think I really have any bark going on. I set it to 200 for about 1-2 hours then turned it up to 225 because I had smoke problems. It's been at 225 for about a hour now and I don't really see any bark. At the time I thought I put a lot of seasoning on it, but maybe not looking at SidewaysTA's pic.

I just remember smoking it around 175-190 with my dad. I decided on 200 after reading around a bit. The plan was to smoke it at 200 for 2-3 hours depending on bark and then the rest of the way at 220. But now I'm at a bit of a loss and questioning how we used to do it. I plan to smoke it until 11:30 since the smoke is now going. Maybe longer if advised. Wrap and keep at 225 or go to 250?
    Patience, give it time. 3 hrs is not long in a brisket's cook time. KEEP the lid closed.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    This is for the smoking portion. I thought I was supposed to have some visible bark before wrapping. Luckily I have a window, but the moisture and smoke are building up on the window.
    The longer it gets smoke the better and thicker the smoke ring,(looks professional).
    The bark comes from the outside cooking. Give it more time. Wrapping should only be for about the last 2 or 3 hrs. of cooking if done at all. The longer it goes without wrap the more bark and darker the meat.

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    Here it is after 8 hours of smoking and 8 hours wrapped.
    9db8a17c93b4759a3636195e26eeabf9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    And you probably didn't want to eat a chicken for several weeks if not months at least that's the way I was after the Jaycee food booth at the Benton County Tennessee Fair where we served hamburgers and steaks ruined on the griddle among other things. East of the Mississippi barbecue almost exclusively means whole pork shoulder, a rarity in Texas.

cygunner,

FYI, what I'm known for in SC (IF I'm known for anything good??) is cooking whole pigs on my pit at the family plantation. = My pit can cook two 80-100 pound whole pigs, some sausages & a few chickens on that pit in one run..

That much meat with the sides/drinks make for a pretty large party.

yours, satx

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    When I do my briskets I season them up(I just buy a dry rub) and cook them at 275 on the smoker. I know a lot of people cook at 225, but I haven’t noticed any difference in outcome but it brings my cook times down quite a bit, which means I can put a brisket on at 6am and have it done in time for dinner. As far as wrapping, I can go either way. Lately I’ve been avoiding it. Brisket is done somewhere between 195-205 internal temperature. Should jiggle like a block of jello when it’s done. Rest for an hour, or longer if you like, then slice and eat.

that’s my method.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    When I do my briskets I season them up(I just buy a dry rub) and cook them at 275 on the smoker. I know a lot of people cook at 225, but I haven’t noticed any difference in outcome but it brings my cook times down quite a bit, which means I can put a brisket on at 6am and have it done in time for dinner. As far as wrapping, I can go either way. Lately I’ve been avoiding it. Brisket is done somewhere between 195-205 internal temperature. Should jiggle like a block of jello when it’s done. Rest for an hour, or longer if you like, then slice and eat.

that’s my method.
    I like it. It's a bit warm for me, though. I'm a 250 degree guy, wrap with pink paper at 165 and pull at 203. Vive la difference!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

that’s my method.

That method may work fine for you and on your smoker. But every smoker is different, and will turn out different results.

For those new to smoking meats on a smoker, I tend to lean towards them erring on the side of less than done. If the meat comes off the smoker less than the desired doneness, it can be reheated or cooked an additional amount of time in the kitchen oven with controlled temperature and time, and still end up with meat with a great smoke flavor.

If they cook at too high a temperature or time on the smoker, and too high an internal temperature results and the meat is overly done, pretty much can result in inedible meat that is way too tough to eat.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I like it. It's a bit warm for me, though. I'm a 250 degree guy, wrap with pink paper at 165 and pull at 203. Vive la difference!

billtool; All,

IMVHO, there are about as many ways to do brisket as there are people who BBQ beef.

As long as it is TASTY/TENDER, I like them all.

yours, satx

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    That method may work fine for you and on your smoker. But every smoker is different, and will turn out different results.

For those new to smoking meats on a smoker, I tend to lean towards them erring on the side of less than done. If the meat comes off the smoker less than the desired doneness, it can be reheated or cooked an additional amount of time in the kitchen oven with controlled temperature and time, and still end up with meat with a great smoke flavor.

If they cook at too high a temperature or time on the smoker, and too high an internal temperature results and the meat is overly done, pretty much can result in inedible meat that is way too tough to eat.
    Yeah. Plenty of ways to cook it that result in great food. This is just the way I’ve found works best for me. When I cooked at 225 I would usually have to cook overnight, which wasn’t the end of the world but not as convenient as firing it up in the morning. I also have a wireless thermometer that makes it very easy to keep track of the internal temps.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I too, splurged on a wireless thermometer. MEATER is the brand I purchased. Very pleased and recommend it highly. I bought the upgrade and have smoked with it 10-15 times. Still works great. About $100.00 when I bought it three or so years ago.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    I too, splurged on a wireless thermometer. MEATER is the brand I purchased. Very pleased and recommend it highly. I bought the upgrade and have smoked with it 10-15 times. Still works great. About $100.00 when I bought it three or so years ago.
    As Axxe says, every smoker is different. I have used my Masterbuilt so much that I can tell by time and by looking through the window at about when it's done and I use an instant(nearly) reading Taylor electronic meat thermometer to check myself. Majority of the time I have guessed pretty well.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I’m typically a fruit wood guy. Been digging pecan lately though. It’s cheaper and still fairly mild.

billtool,

PERSONALLY, I prefer NO mesquite for smoking, as I don't care for the taste.

Make mine PEACH or PECAN with some GREEN HICKORY. I use OAK only if I cannot get enough peach/pecan/hickory.

just my OPINION, satx

Top Bottom