Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    He's a nut...or at least headed in that direction.

Ever notice how when "Sovereign Citizens" think the law doesn't apply to them, it just happens to be to their benefit?

Don't like paying taxes? Become a "Sovereign Citizen"!

Prefer to live in a delusional world where the United States isn't a country but is actually an evil corporation that you may defy whenever it suits you? Become a "Sovereign Citizen"!

I noticed towards the end of the video, he had prepared an invoice charging some government entity for something. Having done that, he will have created (in his mind) grounds to sue somebody for multiple millions of dollars. All that leads me to believe he's one of those low-rent sovereign citizens who simply bought a "Free yourself from taxes and oppression! And taxes! And especially taxes!" kit from one of the shysters behind this movement. Yes, there are people out there who have cynically compiled a bunch of crap documents filled with legal-sounding nonsense that they'll sell you for cheap. You follow their advice and you're free from any obligation to obey any laws you don't like.

Of course, the people who sell those kits and how-to books are all paying their taxes and keeping to the straight and narrow. There's no way they'd eat their own dog food when they can rake in the big bucks by simply obeying the law while telling other people they don't have to.

I dealt with those idiots 30 years ago and they're still idiots today. The only difference today is that the internet helps them market more efficiently and ensnare young men like the guy in this video. A few decades ago, the only people who claimed they were exempt from the law and made their own license plates were crazy old men. Nowadays, they can infect all strata of society by typing at a keyboard.

BTW - This guy actually had the whole "Sovereign Citizen" thing wrong...just like they all get it wrong. Sovereign Citizens believe the federal government is powerless because it's actually a private corporation. True Sovereign Citizens believe that their locally-elected government still has authority. Yet, because it suits him, this guy even rejects the authority of a local court.

Basically, this whole movement is built on appealing to greed. "You can live in this society but you don't have any obligation to observe any of its rules" is the message. Invariably, these guys get all worked up about how the federal government is not legit but wind up taking it out on all authority figures. Locals, who should rightfully be recognized as legit by sovereign citizens, usually bear the everyday brunt of their idiocy. That's proof positive that they aren't motivated by ideals; they're motivated by whatever will save them money or make their lives easier.

They're motivated by a selfishness that is fundamentally different from a desire to simply be free. Moral men desire freedom. Men who desire unfettered license are, by definition, at least immoral and often unbalanced. The "Sovereign Citizen" movement is little more than a weak-tea variant of organized sociopathy, as oxymoronic as that sounds. It seems to me, having known far too many of these guys, that they somehow manage to reawaken in their adult lives a sort of childish tantrum state that persists for the long term, sort of a case of Oppositional Defiance Disorder extended into adulthood. Yes, to get to the point, I'm saying there is a mental problem at work in these people.

There are, of course, a couple of kernels of truth buried in there, somewhere. You can't build a movement, even a stupid one, without some sensible principle to follow (or, in this case, to corrupt). The basic right of human beings to be left alone unless they're hurting someone else is something we can all agree with and is at the core of their motivation. That does not, however, give them the right to reject all authority.

Yes, we live in a condition of excess authoritarianism. But you don't overcome that by deliberately turning yourself into a wingnut.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Sounds like a nut. I do find it interesting that he was busted for making fireworks as a teenager (who doesn't make fireworks as a teenager? lol...) and became radicalized as a reaction to his punishment.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    cit·i·zen
    ˈsitizən,-sən/Submit
    noun
    a legally recognized subject or national of a state or commonwealth, either native or naturalized.

sov·er·eign
    ˈsäv(ə)rən/Submit
    noun
    a supreme ruler, esp. a monarch.
    synonyms: ruler, monarch, crowned head, head of state, potentate, suzerain, overlord, dynast, leader;

sub·ject
    noun
    ˈsəbjəkt/
    a citizen or member of a state other than its supreme ruler.
    synonyms: citizen, national; More
    liege, liegeman, vassal, henchman, follower
    under the authority of.
    "legislation making Congress subject to the laws it passes"
    synonyms: bound by, constrained by, accountable to More
    under the control or domination of (another ruler, country, or government).
    "the Greeks were the first subject people to break free from Ottoman rule"
    adverb
    adverb: subject
    ˈsəbjəkt/
    bring (a person or country) under one's control or jurisdiction, typically by using force.

Doesn't really matter if someone is FOR, or AGAINST this guy's ideology. The fact is, that by the very definition of these words, his self title is a contradiction, as well as an oxymoron. By adding, "citizen", to the end of, "sovereign", he is nullifying his own sovereignty. In his attempt to be sovereign, he is acknowledging that he is not. I've read into this whole movement, as I do not like to chose a side, unless I understand both sides well. These people DO have some good points, and facts to back up their belief. I believe there is a better way to go about their self proclaimed sovereignty. If you stand for something, STAND for it! Don't stand for it till you're intimidated into caving, "under protest". The whole, "I'm going to cooperate, but not because YOU told me too", thing makes almost any principle seem invalid. Other than these things, I prefer this guy over the apathetic, blind followers. I highly recommend the research of this topic. Very interesting, extreme, or not.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom