• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Post office off limits due to federal building or not? Just made a quik reference chart thanks again.
    Venture Surplus ad

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Post office off limits due to federal building or not? Just made a quik reference chart thanks again.

The safe answer is "yes." There is some argument over conflicting USG Code, and Postmaster General Rulings, but I'd err on the side of caution. Even in the presence of conflicting statutes, if one allows them to prosecute you, guess which one they'll apply! :banghead:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    When the rules were originally written banks were included in the prohibited places list. Hospitals were also, and I think there were a couple of others as well. The rules where later amended to read that these places were off limits only if they were posted. Wedge if you got your permit back when the rules first came out, that might be what you are thinking of.

Eagle

Banks were never statutorily off limits.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Oh, also Credit Unions do tend to be posted. Something about the federal backing for them (similar to FDIC, but differant initials) requires them to be posted from what I have heard. So if you go to one, keep your eyes peeled for the sign, or just assume that it is posted, and find a new bank.

Eagle

No, federal law does not require Credit Unions to be posted.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I am sure I'll get blasted for this but regardless of what the book says it all comes down to what a judge determines and how he interprets the law.
    I have read the book many times and there are things that when openly discussed there will be 2 of 6 people that interpret the same verbiage another way.
    In that respect this is a valuable thread IMO!

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Oh, also Credit Unions do tend to be posted. Something about the federal backing for them (similar to FDIC, but differant initials) requires them to be posted from what I have heard. So if you go to one, keep your eyes peeled for the sign, or just assume that it is posted, and find a new bank.

Eagle

Merely being insured by the FDIC does *not* preclude the licensed carry of a concealed firearm. The bank MUST post the proper signage in order to prohibit carry ion their premises.

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Any hope that we can get these rules permanetly(cant spell) posted as a quik ref guide. We cant decide here what the laws are so the law books will be read in the same manner as its already been said. Poss someone like Double Action or Tex Inv could do this.Seems like 2 gentleman that fully have investigated the laws and understand there meaning. Sorry to call you both out. I would try it but I still have questions so I wouldnt be a good person for this. Thanks again for all the input here.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Any hope that we can get these rules permanetly(cant spell) posted as a quik ref guide. We cant decide here what the laws are so the law books will be read in the same manner as its already been said. Poss someone like Double Action or Tex Inv could do this.Seems like 2 gentleman that fully have investigated the laws and understand there meaning. Sorry to call you both out. I would try it but I still have questions so I wouldnt be a good person for this. Thanks again for all the input here.

I'm actually putting together a cheat sheet for this sort of thing:
    Where you can't carry
    Eligibility
    Reasons for Suspension/Revocation
    General "Use of Force/Deadly Force" guidelines
    Other stuff

The "where you can't carry" section is somewhat convoluted, so I'm trying to distill it down to a simple, but accurate format.

I'll post it up when it's done. We'll probably do a sticky.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'll post it up when it's done. We'll probably do a sticky.

ben-stiller.gif

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Thank You Sir. Could you add how too on motorcycles. Seems to be asked alot for non chl without saddle bags. What do you guys do for gun shows. I see were no one except police can carry a loaded gun. My question is can CHLs carry a unloaded handgun with a loaded clip in your pocket. Mayby this is a dumb question.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Thank You Sir. Could you add how too on motorcycles. Seems to be asked alot for non chl without saddle bags.
    A motorcycle is a motor vehicle. The question is, "can you be inside of a motorcycle"?

What do you guys do for gun shows. I see were no one except police can carry a loaded gun. My question is can CHLs carry a unloaded handgun with a loaded clip in your pocket. Mayby this is a dumb question.

Most gun shows do not want you to be able to load your weapon while inside. I suppose you could carry the MAGAZINE.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Thank You Sir. Could you add how too on motorcycles. Seems to be asked alot for non chl without saddle bags. What do you guys do for gun shows. I see were no one except police can carry a loaded gun. My question is can CHLs carry a unloaded handgun with a loaded clip in your pocket. Mayby this is a dumb question.

There is some debate on the whole motorcycle issue. As TxInvestigator stated, the term "inside" doesn't really apply to a bike. Locking saddlebags or other compartment is a must if you're going somewhere you can't carry.

Many gun shows do not allow you to bring loaded magazines inside. I suppose you could empty the mags and have the unloaded weapon checked and secured before you enter.

Top Bottom