• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drjames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    cypress
    I don't think your going to get a range that you want until OIL comes back around. Then you can get some oil executives to throw $$ at the idea for a tax wright off.

START A NON-PROFIT gun range "club". It can be a non-profit, with education of the youth, public awareness etc.

Now there is an off the wall idea.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Old thread but what the heck....................I just want to be free of range Nazis! If things are going smoothly, patrons are exhibiting proper safety behavior, then let the shooters enjoy themselves.

At our club, one of us must act as ARO on each separate range at all times. If there's one person shooting, then he is the ARO, wears the vest and enforces the rules. When that task falls to me, I am always courteous and polite to the other members. Granted, there have been some A Holes that need to be dealt with, but hold the drill Instructor mentality until it's needed. I will not be barked at nor will I do that to anyone else!

Flash

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    It might be pretty difficult to allow some shooters to rapid fire, or draw from their holster, and tell others they can't.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    It might be pretty difficult to allow some shooters to rapid fire, or draw from their holster, and tell others they can't.

Those activities are forbidden at our club. The guys know the rules and there's no reason to be screaming at them like a range Nazi. As ARO, you ask them to stop breaking the rules and if needed, take their badge numbers and send them home. The club Board meets every month and the bad guys can lose their membership.

Flash

HouTxEngr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2016
    What I like in a shooting range:
    - single charge for shooting my multiple firearms
    - shoot what I bring (50 cal, tannerite, full auto...everything into the berm.)
    - holster draw-n-fire.
    - any ammo allowed (except steel bullets or tracers)
    - steel targets available
    - shooting benches
    - cover (i.e. roofed)
    - no more than $15 per day; no more than $75 annual membership fee
    - one time per year maintenance crew attendance (I never mind helping out with "many hands makes for light work" maintenance)
    - occasional fund raising event(s) for scouts, FFA, fallen officer, etc etc (these actually turn out to be alot of fun)
    - close parking to the shooting line
    - access path\road to travel to targets
    - RO present on site
    - 25\50 yard pistol range
    - 300 yard rifle range

things I don't need supplied by the range -
    - A/C
    - ammo
    - eye\ear protection
    - gun smith
    - concession stand
    - spotting scope
    - paper targets
    - prone mat
    - sand bag(s)

I spend 1-2 hours at a range monthly, I take home what I bring to the range, and shooting\reloading is still fun. I often bring two guests (grand kids) with me twice a year.

Last edited:

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    HouTexEngr - That sounds similar to two of the ranges I'm a member at. One is $200 annual. They have a little steel. Bring your own targets otherwise. Pretty liberal. Hardly ever anyone there. The other range is $35 annual and $10 per person per visit. Can do just about anything there. Pistol and rifle ranges. Usually has people there. Instructors (like me) can reserve the range and that takes precedence. Of course, we pay $10 per person so a 10 person class raises $100 for the owner for usually just 2-3 hours. CHL classes are even better. 20 minutes x 6 students = $60 in a blink.

But I can't imagine everything you asked for PLUS an RO! People are usually one of the most expensive parts of a range. Unless people offer to RO for free, how can you have a range where the RO is $10/hr minimum but people are paying just $15 per day. So if a range is a daylight only, then that's 12-14 hours during the summer, or $140 in wages per day. That's 10 shooter per day just to cover the RO...never mind maintenance, land, profit for owner, etc.

The ranges I shoot at are otherwise almost exactly what you described, however, it wouldn't work as an "open to the public" range and I doubt the owner makes much money on it.

Top Bottom