Venture Surplus ad

What do you wear hunting in Texas and other American states?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    pics or GTFO
    2E17C814-6396-4DCC-9CF2-C844DD1A5E7D.jpeg

Attachments

• 2E17C814-6396-4DCC-9CF2-C844DD1A5E7D.jpeg
      2E17C814-6396-4DCC-9CF2-C844DD1A5E7D.jpeg
      298.9 KB · Views: 816

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't hunt much in the heat. Typically only coyotes at night. So I go full lightweight camo. These shirts and pants are awesome for the $$
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939142828
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939108035

My boys wanna hunt some dove this year. I'll do that in t-shirt and shorts.

For cold weather. This is the best for me. SUPER warm.
    https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-outfitter-series-berber-jacket-with-4most-windshear-for-men

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-outfitter-series-berber-pants-with-4most-windshear?rrec=true

MacZC7

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2020
    Texas
    When I first moved to Texas in 1982 I went duck hunting with a guy from work.We went down to Palacios to hunt the bay from his jon boat. When I left Chicago in January I was wearing most of my yankee hunting clothes as it was a blizzard.

The hunt took place in February & none of those clothes were not needed. I ended up getting sun burnt & my first fire ant bites.

Another thing new refugees need to be aware of ar allergenes in the air. Once while checking out a lease in San Marcos I got Cedar Fever. I was so sick from sleeping outside that I ended up on my hands & knees crawling & puking. I puked from San Marcos to Schulenberg non stop. Felt fine until I returned.
    WELCOME TO TEXAS!!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Because it is so hot in September I typically just wear a coating of OFF! Or some other deet based bug repellant. By the time deer season rolls around I will wear a loin cloth in addition to the bug repellent.

Hoji,

Have you perchance confused "BARE hunting" with "BEAR hunting"??
    (LOL.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

Hoji,

At my age & rather "beat up" physical condition, IF I tried "bare hunting", the game would "die laughing", after just one look.

Btw, your post reminded me of a BUCK OWENS-ism from a TV show years ago: "A young fellow was out bow-hunting & had just drawn his bow, when he came upon a young woman sunbathing in the nude, He said, 'Are you game?' She said that she was, so he shot it into her."
    (In those "somewhat more innocent years", the FCC was "not amused".)

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Hunting clothing has to suit the hunting environment and conditions. Hunting from a stand or blind for deer, is way different than bow hunting, or turkey hunting where camouflage is more critical.

We never hunted turkey here in East Texas, even though they had a specific turkey season, there were no turkey's! I have never to this day seen one in the wild here.

Even when I got into archery hunting many years ago, we hog hunted, so camo wasn't critical either.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Dove season is usually as hot as a pistol so the coolest lightest camo gear is in order. Texas deer seasons might not always get so chilly so I figure it smart to dress in layers. When it's chilly out of doors I always like to sport a Pendleton wool shirt as my grandfather always did out on the party boat fishing. Maybe some ideas from folks here. Some here may hunt deer in Tx while others might head to colder, northern states in November. I figure much of the same stuff one hunts deer can also be used to hunt fox, rabbit, bear, cougar, bobcat, elk, moose, antelope, buffalo, pheasant, grouse, coyotes and partridges. I think ducks and geese usually require waders and stuff for wet environments. One of my biggest concerns is gloves that won't interfere with the operation of the gun. As a soldier, the mil-spec leather black issue work gloves and wool liners were great for firing M16's and other US weapons. They weren't waterproof for rain, though. Drying them by the heater vents in army trucks was a common affair in the field. I'm on the market for a Savage 99. The lever loop is slim as is most lever jobs. The Winchester Model 1892 large loop carbine is what John Wayne sported in True Grit ("Fill your hands, you son of a ....!!!"). That fat lever is great for any thick hunting gloves for cold weather under the sun. Will issue army work gloves be slim enough for regular slim levers on rifles? I think clothing is one of the most important things to consider when playing out of doors. If you freeze to death in a deer stand or sweat like a pig on a dove stool you will know what I mean.

Just looking on Google for pics of deer hunters in Texas the usual garb is camo with baseball hats or cowboy outfits complete with Stetsons. Blaze orange where the law says you gotta put it on. This is what seems in fashion these days. I care more about functionality afield than fashion though. The buffalo plaid looks so Norman Rockwell indeed.

Here are some clothing ideas of my own for most American hunting and most of it I found listed on amazon.com "for a song":

View attachment 222892
    Wait, weren't we talking about safeties and ammo and loaded chambers? I seem to have lost my place.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Hunting clothing has to suit the hunting environment and conditions. Hunting from a stand or blind for deer, is way different than bow hunting, or turkey hunting where camouflage is more critical.

We never hunted turkey here in East Texas, even though they had a specific turkey season, there were no turkey's! I have never to this day seen one in the wild here.

Even when I got into archery hunting many years ago, we hog hunted, so camo wasn't critical either.
    Your movement is way more critical then the color & pattern on your hunting clothes! The only camo I ever owned was surplus & it was bought more for cheap clothes then hunting.

I have a buddy I met in an Archery shop. He is convinced that Whitetail are easily spooked & hunters need camo & cover scents. While I hunted in Africa I smoked, wore t-shirts & shorts & mainly walked & stalked. Animals in Africa have more predators to worry about & a far more skittish IMHO.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom