Lynx Defense

What does the printed gun tell us about marketing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've put this under "General" instead of "Handguns" because it's about marketing and perceptions, not about the firearm.

We've previously covered the printed 1911 becoming something more than just an idea or a piece of plastic that falls apart in a shot or two, here: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...71-*metal*-3d-printed-1911-including-bbl.html and here: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/general-firearms-ammo/52430-3d-printed-1911-a.html .

Solid Concepts is taking it into production and if you want one of the first 100 as a collector's item and historical artifact, you can have one for the bargain price of USD$12K!

See: 3D Printed Metal Gun Will Sell to Lucky 100 » Solid Concepts, Inc.

OK, I understand that the first 100 of anything can be more valuable and collectible. This, however, strikes me as a ridiculously overpriced stunt.

Are there really that many people so swimming in money that they'd buy this, especially when the demo video was so underwhelming? See:

Will this thing sell out?

What is it with the over-the-top pricing of "collectible" guns these days?

What's your personally-witnessed benchmark for "Stupidest Amount Of Money Spent On A Firearm?"

I think the sale of this particular firearm says something about the way the market and economy are changing...I just don't know what.
    Military Camp

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The technology is fairly new, so , yeah, they are probably expensive to make. But 12k for one that don't work all that well, naw. But, given the number of people in austin that bought Glocks as status symbols and did not even know what ammo went in it or caliber,
    A. yes it is.
    B. Yes there are
    C. Oh yeah, they will. And stand in line to have the first

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    ..But, given the number of people in austin that bought Glocks as status symbols and did not even know what ammo went in it or caliber..

huh ? now that's a joke, right ? please tell me that's a joke..

(high price for a gun....I'm about to find out, in an auction, about "over-the-top price paid for a gun.....(?))

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Remember, this isn't just the first 100 of something that's going to go into regular production. This is the first 100 of the first EVER metal 3D printed firearm. This makes them all instantly rare. So, as collector's items go, I can totally see that price.

Plus, I recall reading on the Solid Concepts website that it cost $3000 to make one.

They're not going into the firearms-printing business, it was a proof-of-concept for their metal printing technology to prove their parts would be durable and capable of handling high pressure without failure. If they can turn around and profit off a limited run of a truly unique firearm, then more power to them.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ... This is the first 100 of the first EVER metal 3D printed firearm. ...
    I hadn't considered it in those terms. That makes more sense.

This isn't buying 1 of the first 100 from a new manufacturer. It's like owning 1 of the first 100 rifled barrels. Or 1 of the first 100 cartridge firearms. It's buying 1 of the first 100 of a new application of a technology, not merely a new maker.

If the future holds that this was truly a watershed event in the history of manufacturing (Dare I say it - a "Game Changer!";)), then those prices make sense. The buyers must be willing to bet on that. To me, it's not an obviously good bet but it certainly might be so I understand better, now.

Thanks for the different perspective.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    That's a joke, right? Please tell me that's a joke.

NO, unfortunately.
    Many used to come in for ammo
    Customer- I need some ammo
    Me - for....
    C- (proudly) for My Gloccck
    Me- what caliber Glocccck?
    C- (looking confused) you dont know?
    Me-(trying not to laugh) naw, You bought a Glock without knowing what caliber or if it would do what You want it for?
    C- but,,,,,, it's a Glock
    Status symbol yuppies,,,,, with guns,, scarey

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    I hadn't considered it in those terms. That makes more sense.

This isn't buying 1 of the first 100 from a new manufacturer. It's like owning 1 of the first 100 rifled barrels. Or 1 of the first 100 cartridge firearms. It's buying 1 of the first 100 of a new application of a technology, not merely a new maker.

If the future holds that this was truly a watershed event in the history of manufacturing (Dare I say it - a "Game Changer!";)), then those prices make sense. The buyers must be willing to bet on that. To me, it's not an obviously good bet but it certainly might be so I understand better, now.

Thanks for the different perspective.

That is until they realize people will give them $12K for a 1911.... Who's to say they won't decide to run "special" or "limited" productions in the future to make some more coin.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I wouldn't pay $100 for one of them. I'd rather have a Jennings.
    I don't know how strong a gun made out of formally powdered metal fused with a laser will hold up under the pressure of a few rounds in it.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    I don't know how strong a gun made out of formally powdered metal fused with a laser will hold up under the pressure of a few rounds in it.

I want to know if they put any proofing loads (is that the right term?) through it before going ahead with the WWB loads. If it can handle a mag or three of them, I'd say it's plenty strong.

That said, 500+ rounds with nothing but extractor issues (going by the videos) is fairly impressive by itself.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    It looks like it was having a lot of problems in extracting (barely clearing the ejection port) and feeding new rounds (pausing while trying to feed). I wouldnt spend $50 on it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It looks like it was having a lot of problems in extracting (barely clearing the ejection port) and feeding new rounds (pausing while trying to feed). I wouldnt spend $50 on it.

While true, there are firearms that sell for much more at auctions that aren't safe to fire one round out of because they could blow apart.

This isn't about buying a daily carry, or even a range gun. It's comparable to buying one of the first prototype run of repeating rifles.

TheCytochromeC

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    DFW
    While true, there are firearms that sell for much more at auctions that aren't safe to fire one round out of because they could blow apart.

This isn't about buying a daily carry, or even a range gun. It's comparable to buying one of the first prototype run of repeating rifles.

A problem some wish they had. For us poor surfs out there, we just save for powder, primers, casings and bullets. Oh, and working guns.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

They ran 1000 rounds through it successfully. Better than a Jennings. And more than "a few".

Top Bottom