• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I’ve had this shotgun for the better part of a decade. My dad has the same model too. I’ve always wondered what the purpose of the button on the underside was for. I know that it closes the bolt but there are times when I go to load the gun and shells won’t go into the tube. I have to push the button and then I can load. It’s not every time but it’s often enough to be annoying.
    Any ideas as to what feature I’m describing? Maybe a magazine cut off?

88219adf08ce8a8ed6ba7cfc16e65a01.jpg

104cd55ace59c04ceda8f6a803cd98fc.jpg

It’s #7 on the user manual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ARJ Defense ad

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Wow, you have had the gun, and evidently used it, for the better part of a decade and do not know the function of one of its moving parts that apparently affects movement of the bolt and loading! Have you contacted the manufacturer to ask them? My bet would be, you would get the best answer from them and if by chance it was malfunctioning they would be the ones who could tell you. Good luck with it.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Wow, you have had the gun, and evidently used it, for the better part of a decade and do not know the function of one of its moving parts that apparently affects movement of the bolt and loading! Have you contacted the manufacturer to ask them? My bet would be, you would get the best answer from them and if by chance it was malfunctioning they would be the ones who could tell you. Good luck with it.

Sounds bad when you put it like that haha. It has t cost me any birds or malfunctioned because of it. I can’t tell if it’s a malfunction or a feature because I have to physically push a button. Although it might be a matter that the bolt isn’t resetting something in the action. As far as I know the button is just supposed to close the bolt

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Sorry, I was not trying to make it sound bad, just trying to get you to contact Winchester. They probably know best about it.

I might. It’s also a discontinued gun so they might not be so helpful.
    I might strip it down to bare parts and inspect it and clean it. Their might be a sheared or cracked part inside acting up. Thankfully the guns has never failed me. A $200 pawnshop-find. Lots of reviews saying they’re lemons but until she fails me, I’ll use her like normal

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    My thought is that's a mag cut-off. Press it forward and it wont feed. It allows you to drop in a different type of round for a different use without stripping one from the tube.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I believe the action locks open on an empty magazine. You can then drop a shell in the ejection port and push that button. Then load the magazine normally. It keeps you from having to pull on the bolt handle to fully reload after firing all rounds.

I could be wrong. I ain't handled a Winchester semi auto shotgun in a long time.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I believe the action locks open on an empty magazine. You can then drop a shell in the ejection port and push that button. Then load the magazine normally. It keeps you from having to pull on the bolt handle to fully reload after firing all rounds.

I could be wrong. I ain't handled a Winchester semi auto shotgun in a long time.

You’re right. My standard reload is to drop a shell in the chamber and push the button. Then load two shells in the tube
    It’s handy if the birds are really flying to do quick one shot reloads

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Well I know the similar button on my shotty allows the action to be opened without a trigger pull so that one can
    A) unload a loaded chamber w/o discharging the weapon.
    B) Open the action to confirm the weapon is indeed unloaded.
    Hence why the MFG refers to it as an “action release” allows the action to be manipulated with out firing/trigger pull.

My02

Top Bottom