• ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    So that 82 db is somewhat erroneous.
    Not erroneous, just misleading. What it actually says is" When the electronic ear protection is switched on, it employs built-in directional microphones that amplify range commands and other ambient sounds to a safe 82 dB". At 82 db, the amplification cuts off and they become like regular non electronic ear muffs.
    Target Sports

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Not erroneous, just misleading. What it actually says is" When the electronic ear protection is switched on, it employs built-in directional microphones that amplify range commands and other ambient sounds to a safe 82 dB". At 82 db, the amplification cuts off and they become like regular non electronic ear muffs.

However, their claimed 30 NRR is higher than most, if not all, of their peers.
    Especially amongst electronic muffs.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Before you buy, make sure they work with what you shoot.

The best muffs are usually large, and almost never work if you are cheek welding to rifle stock. You need slimlines or plugs for that. Likewise, if you are doing a lot of shooting, lighter is more comfortable. And tight fitting often is uncomfortable over time. And unless you need to hear range commands or listen for game, electronic is not needed.

Like holsters, I have a whole bunch. In cooler weather I prefer muffs, in hotter I prefer plugs. Muffs get hot and sweaty in summer heat.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

It’s really not misleading either. It says exactly what they do. People just don’t read anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Howard Leight did not fit my head properly and for me did not work. Unless they form a good seal (with glasses) forget them. Make sure you can try them out and return if no good. That is the most important thing.

I personally use plain Muffs (Winchester brand) with 30 db reduction and also have molded to my ear that I sometimes use as well in combination. For clay shooting I use the molded plugs.

dtschirh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2018
    Texas
    If you don’t require a rifle cheek weld, Pro Ears have a very high NRR rating, plus gel cups make for comfort when using them for all day use. I’ve seen multiple instructors use them over the years. It’s a combination of both NRR and comfort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Anyone using the Howard Leight impact pro R-01902 by Honeywell? Says they reduce dba down to 82. Is that accurate?

I've been using these for two years now. I've been shooting indoors a lot lately and they work very well in that setting. The only time that I was ever really bothered is when a guy was sighting in some kind of hunting pistol chambered in .454 Casull, with a comp no less. Other than that extreme example I've never been bothered by other shooters. I shoot a short barreled AK and I don't notice the report from it anymore than a I do from a normal AR. Battery life is outstanding and they're very comfortable. Only drawback is that they're huge, I look like I should be launching jets off of a carrier instead of shooting, lol. They get a little hot outdoors in the summer but all of them do that. I'll rate them as excellent for hearing protection indoors, I can easily converse with other shooters and still have loud sounds blocked instantly, theses would be great for hunting too with the sound amplification, comfy despite being bulky. I've really seen no reason to replace them other than I'd like to try a slimmer set. I never really liked ear plugs as they make the inside of my ear sweat. If the range is really busy with lots of rifle shooters then sometimes I'll wear the cans plus ear plugs.

Just to make sure I'm talking about the same set of cans, these are the ones I'm using.
    Impact Pro Electronic Earmuff | Howard Leight Shooting Sports

I use these sometimes in conjunction with the cans. Cheap and I just throw them out after use.
    Amazon.com: Mpow 055A Ear Plugs 60 Pairs, Super Soft Foam Ear Plugs 34dB SNR, Noise Reduction Hearing Protector, with Aluminum Carry Case, for Sleeping, Woodworking, Shooting, Travel, Loud Events-Green: Home Improvement

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'm looking for quality gel cup ear muffs. I own the Howard leights and they're great. Razors are ok but I'm looking for the next level without having to double up. My ceiling is probably $250. I enjoy the higher db rated hl but they're bulky.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I'm looking for quality gel cup ear muffs. I own the Howard leights and they're great. Razors are ok but I'm looking for the next level without having to double up. My ceiling is probably $250. I enjoy the higher db rated hl but they're bulky.

You could try these.
    I just looked for them, know nothing about them.
    Amazon product ASIN B0822RGZH8

dermunkee

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2016
    Katy, TX
    I'm losing my hearing and have tinnitus, so I do whatever I can to protect what's left of my ears. I use good foam earplugs properly inserted, howard leight sport electronic earmuffs, with these guys
    The gel pads cut down on noise, work with glasses, and the small size of the howard leights lets you get a cheek weld on long guns.

martellus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2021
    WV
    I have a one of those HL but I cant wear them for too long as it applies too much pressure, thanks for the link! Looks super interesting on helping fix that, really sucks to be enjoying shooting but having head pain during longer sessions.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    A while back I received the gel cup replacements mentioned a few posts earlier. Right away they felt cool and comfortable. I've only been out with them once but they are a definite improvement over the foam cups. I'll update after some more range time but so far they seem worth it.

Top Bottom