• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    A good dad with awareness.

But as a gun owner, I am appalled by this kid’s decision and by the father setting such a poor example...

I mean, a hi-point?! REALLY?! If I get put down in a mass shooting, all I ask is don’t put me down with a hi-point.

Good on the father and mother for making it to the school on time to stop this.

God bless.
    Hurley's Gold

Mungle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Good on them but,...

merely damage control. How was it that the 15yr old had free access to the firearms and ammo in the first place? Especially, as they reported, he "had been acting strangely lately".

All this after he had wielded he weapon and fired, luckily only into the celing.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Good on them but,...

merely damage control. How was it that the 15yr old had free access to the firearms and ammo in the first place? Especially, as they reported, he "had been acting strangely lately".

All this after he had wielded he weapon and fired, luckily only into the celing.

I agree and disagree at the same time, kindly.

Who knows. I know that my eldest knows where I keep my pistol at night and it’s not locked away because I don’t believe in all guns being locked away.

So perhaps it was the father’s day off and the kid snuck it out from his dad’s side of the bed while mom was in the bathroom. At the same time, perhaps the father is way too lax with his guns and it was in the hall bathroom on the counter. Either way, had he had it locked up in the safe, unless it was their only pistol, I don’t think he would had realized it was gone, on time.

Also, I’m interested to know what kind of “weird” the kid was acting. My kid being a little weird isn’t enough to make me think they would steal a gun and go shoot the school up. But if I saw signs of depression and heard stories of hating kids at school, then I would be on higher alert.

Point is, most households that have firearms AND a teenager inside, are at fairly simple risk of the teenager getting ahold of a firearm without too much trouble. So we shouldn’t assume the father was negligent.

Some young men have .22s hanging on their walls or hunting rifles and probably even pistols in their room, so I choose to refrain from that sort of judgement because we don’t know the facts and, most importantly, it starts to go down tgat slippery slope that says people can’t be trusted and therefore we should have a law that demands all of our guns be locked away at all times.

The Lanza kid killed his mother for the keys and did it anyway. When my sons get into their teens, I’d probably be open to them having their own rifles in some sort of locker in their rooms. I SURE as heck, unless they show characteristics of some sort of aggressive mental issue, will allow them to have FULL access to an AR15 if they have to be home alone, and other circumstances.

We don’t say “kid had easy access to guns” when we hear stories about 14 year olds shooting intruders with ARs.

Shit, I’ve gone on a rant... Anyway, I think the defining variable is how was he being “weird”?

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    When I was 12 I had a Savage .22lr and a Winchester 1300 12ga hanging on the wall above my bed. But I dare not touch them, even to wipe dust off, without permission. In high school we went straight from the dove fields and duck blinds to school with the shotguns and shells in the back seat, field dressed birds in a cooler in the back of the truck, with blood and feathers on our clothes and EVERYONE knew about it. The only questions were where did we hunt that morning and how many we killed.

Totally different mindset. I don't have any answers. The whole world is different, more evil today. The news is always full of heartbreaking stories, I just don't know...

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Glad they stopped him from doing any further damage.

As parents we must stop our children from making stupid mistakes. Some parents make that job harder on themselves than necessary.

As a father of five, I’ve definitely learned from some mistakes I’ve made that did make certain things a little harder. With every new kid came new challenges.

Dan_Reidy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2018
    Texas Hill Country
    KEEP PASSING THIS ALONG
    652ea64a8c047b85c9beeeeadb62aa71.jpg

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 652ea64a8c047b85c9beeeeadb62aa71.jpg
      652ea64a8c047b85c9beeeeadb62aa71.jpg
      27.6 KB · Views: 133