• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I'm just getting into target shooting, and own 2 pistols, 1 being a Glock 23 .40s&w, and the 2nd being a Colt 1911 .45acp. Ammo is somewhat expensive, and I would like to get started in reloading my own ammo. I'm somewhat limited on money to purchase, so I'm wanting to just get a list of what exactly I need to properly reload ammo. I do know that I want some type of automatic system, where each pull of the lever will advance the bullet into a different stage of being finished, where it starts out as an empty cartridge. I guess what I need to know is which reloader is best for ease of use and not to expensive, and what accessories do I need to get started besides bullets, brass, powder, and primers. What is needed to setup the reloader for say loading .40S&W ammo? Do I need a different reloader for each ammo, or can I swap out parts on one reloader to load something else?

Sorry about having so many questions I just want to start getting the equipment I need and get started in the fun and interesting reloading side of shooting. Thanks for your help.
    Texas SOT

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Where to start........

A Dillon 650 sounds like what you are looking for, but I would not advise it for a first press. It can be picky. A 550B does the job, but they do not make a case feeder for it and you have to manually turn the plate. How much money are you going to spend? My setup(550B) cost about a grand all together. That does include extra heads and multiple calibers.

You are going to need a tumbler, tumbler media, media seperator, lube, and a good scale. You will also need a good bench to mount it on. There is measurement equipment you will need to get the size correct.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I'm not limited to how much I can spend per say, I just can't afford to buy everything at the same time, it will be like a 2-3 month process. So do I need to purchase dies separately and other parts and pieces. I would like a press that does everything without having to manually move things around. I just want something simple and easy. I have a bench that I'll be mounting it on so that's not a problem. I just looked at the model of reloader you have, and it seems pretty simple, but how hard is it to change from one caliber to another. For example change from .40S&W to .45ACP.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Three years ago, I got a Lee Classic Turrent press for 89.00, three sets of dies, for 30.00ea a nice accurate digital scale, and components. It has been a good press. NO distractions while reloading, Always eye verify the load before pressing and Never exceed the maximum loads. Never put two different powders on the table at the same time. You'll need a kinetic bullet puller for mistakes. You will make your guns even more accurate. Enjoy

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Three years ago, I got a Lee Classic Turrent press for 89.00, three sets of dies, for 30.00ea a nice accurate digital scale, and components. It has been a good press. NO distractions while reloading, Always eye verify the load before pressing and Never exceed the maximum loads. Never put two different powders on the table at the same time. You'll need a kinetic bullet puller for mistakes. You will make your guns even more accurate. Enjoy

So is this a somewhat automatic press like the Dillon 550B? I just need something that doesn't take much manual work that automatically forwards the casing to the next step in the loading process with each pull of the lever.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Check out the Dillon Square Deal B. You'll be glad you did. It is a true progressive, unlike the 550. It will load both .45 and .40 cases with ease and it is less expensive than the higher grade Dillon loaders. It is a little more expensive than some loaders, but you get what you pay for and the Dillon customer service is the best in the business. The SDB is easy to set up and operate, with great pictures and directions. I load thousands of rounds of .45 a month on mine and it is great. You will also need a caliper, scale ( pref. electric), tumbler, bullet puller, powder, primers, bullets, and brass. Get at least one GOOD loading manual, if not two. Other than that, just get to loading.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Check out the Dillon Square Deal B. You'll be glad you did. It is a true progressive, unlike the 550. It will load both .45 and .40 cases with ease and it is less expensive than the higher grade Dillon loaders. It is a little more expensive than some loaders, but you get what you pay for and the Dillon customer service is the best in the business. The SDB is easy to set up and operate, with great pictures and directions. I load thousands of rounds of .45 a month on mine and it is great. You will also need a caliper, scale ( pref. electric), tumbler, bullet puller, powder, primers, bullets, and brass. Get at least one GOOD loading manual, if not two. Other than that, just get to loading.

Thanks so much for the help. I think after looking at the Square Deal B I'll be purchasing one. That machine looks pretty simple. Who knows by the time I'm done purchasing I may end up with a few different ones LOL. I'm just so eager to get started I want to go shopping now LOL.

Again thanks everyone for your help.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    You're making a good decision. You can get a complete conversion die set and tool head for each caliber for about $100.00. You don't have to get the tool head but it makes things a lot easier to keep together when you change over. It takes me about 10 minutes to carefully change over from .45ACP to .45LC. As the .45 ACP is large primer and the .40 is small, it will take you slightly longer but not much. It won't take you long to get the hang of it. Remember to start off slowly when you get set up. If you have any issues, call Dillon customer support. They are great to deal with and can talk you through any problems. The strong mount is also a good addition but you don't absolutely have to have it.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    You're making a good decision. You can get a complete conversion die set and tool head for each caliber for about $100.00. You don't have to get the tool head but it makes things a lot easier to keep together when you change over. It takes me about 10 minutes to carefully change over from .45ACP to .45LC. As the .45 ACP is large primer and the .40 is small, it will take you slightly longer but not much. It won't take you long to get the hang of it. Remember to start off slowly when you get set up. If you have any issues, call Dillon customer support. They are great to deal with and can talk you through any problems. The strong mount is also a good addition but you don't absolutely have to have it.

Thank you for the info. From the looks of the system it don't look very complicated at all. So I will probably be getting an early Christmas present it looks like. I've been keeping all my brass, plus I can get most of it cheap from the local Cabelas if I have to.

Guess the way to order that Dillon press is by ordering right from dillon. Oh well guess that's one less trip to Boise LOL.

onecoolpilot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2008
    As far as cost and simplicity, the SDB is the way to go. It comes with the dies in place, ready to go out of the box. Only thing you will need to adjust is the amount of powder (and I had to adjust the seating die a bit).

The caliber conversion is $76.95 on the Dillon website. I have not found it cheaper anywhere, not even locally. If you will be changing calibers often, I would invest in a quick change kit ($89.95), that will allow you to keep the dies and the powder measure set for each caliber, making change-overs a breeze.

I have been loading 9mm for a couple of months, and the powder measure has not changed one bit from where I left it. About 800 rounds so far. I plan on adding .45 soon. It has been a champ so far, and I look forward to using it for many more years.

Cabela's has a tumbler kit for $54, comes with a decent tumbler, 6lbs of corncob media, polish, and a sifter bowl. The first one I purchased died in the first hour I ran it, but I took it back and the replacement has been running like a champ.

You will definitely need a bullet puller (the hammer thing) to fix mistakes.

Buy in bulk any chance you get!! Bullets can be found in several places in 500 or 1000 boxes, a lot cheaper than buying 100 at a time. Precision Delta has a great price on the bullets I've looked at, only drawback is you have to buy 2000 at a time, but at $67 per 1000 for 9mm, it's worth it. You can get powder in 1lb bottles, but once you find one you like, buy it in 4 or 8lb containers to save a bit.

The gun shows are a great place to buy in bulk, at least in Dallas and Ft.Worth they are. Primers are pretty much the same price everywhere, maybe a few bucks less here or there.

That's about all the info I can offer, being still new to it myself. Good luck and have fun.

Jeff

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I would go to gun shows but it seems like everytime there's a gun show in my area I have guard drill. Guess I'm going to have to skip guard drill once to go, cause I'm gonna need supplies.

rick458

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    La Porte
    what you absolutely have to have are Manuals, Lyman 48, The ABCs of reloading, and manuals from the bullet manufacturers.
    Reloaders nest, AR15.com, Glock Talk have busy reloading forums with Lots of knowledge
    I started with a Dillon Square Deal B, Lyman # 47 manual calipers a scale and a tumbler
    I now have a Dillon 550B and it is a much better press $395 will get the 550B set up for the caliber of your choice, I can change between calibers and start loading in 2-3 minutes
    Get a good scale, and dial (or digital) calipers, and a tumbler to clean fired brass
    It sure is satisfying to make a load that will shoot 1 hole groups from your pistols.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom