• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nlghthawk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    San Antonio
    So I am looking at safe's and some things I know I should look for are.
    12 guage steel minimum
    bolts that surround the door
    configurations that will hold all my guns and future purchases
    fire-rating kinda misleading, I get it.

What else?
    Military Camp

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Check out the reviews on what you are looking at. There are many features to that question, like: Price, will it bolt down, do you want it to bolt down, size, can you get it to where you want it, etc.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Look for a safe that will allow you to add and remove guns easily and without damage. A black plastic gun won’t care fancy walnut does. Get one with an electronic lock or one that can be changed out later. Find a place for a “ready gun”. That is a gun that is either “loaded” condition 3 or has a mag on hand. Left front slot for instance would be say an M1 Garland with sling and two EN-Bloc clips.

The ability to rearrange or replace the interior is handy. Your needs will change! You may be all into carbines today but a few long barreled guns and you will wish you got a taller safe. Say you inherited grandpas 30” goose gun and it won’t fit in your safe unless you drill a 1” hole in the top shelf and stub in a piece of PVC pipe to protect the barrel.

Consider a special shelf or cubby for paperwork like tax returns, NFA forms car titles and other important documents.

Consider how to illuminate the safe. A couple LED battery lights might be really handy or some LED rope lighting might work better.

Does it have mounting points for concrete anchors or do you have to drill those yourself.

How about a 110VAC receptacle for lights and dehumidifiers.

How pretty is it? Ours sits in our den so it has a nice paint job and not a flat black refrigerator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I did my research on this about a year ago. I remember reading that you are more likely to loose everything in a fire than to theft. So a good fire rating from a reputable company is important. Then as Mike said, a tall safe is better than a wide safe. I used those 2 factors to get the biggest safe I could afford.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Good advice, I am looking at getting a safe myself for downstairs. Not JUST for guns, but mostly for guns. Want to put important documents in there as well.
    When I first goy my safe I put everything in it. Important papers, jewelry, hell even my ammo. But I learned guns are like goldfish. The bigger the safe the more guns you get.

ExpensiveHobbies

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2015
    Buy larger than you think you need.

I prefer electronic lock with manual roller backup.

Only real fireproofing is a fire proof lock box within the semi-fire proof safe.

Do consider illumination - I use a wireless controller and lights velcro'd/mounted around the interior (for actual bright light) as well as a motion light upon opening.

For me - snapsafe products was ideal. They can be disassembled and moved (only when open/unsecured), so I have it on a third story of my home. Would be nearly impossible to get it out of the closet - let alone the house. You'd have to work on it in a tiny room...good luck.

Edemce

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Dallas
    I am a licensed locksmith and have been selling , moving , delivering , and updating gun safes . PM me if you guys need help .

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    Consider getting a GSA approved weapons safe. Class 5 or 6. It will have all the features you need.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If I had it all to do over I'd consider having one built.
    http://rhinovault.com

It looks like they specialize in building “in to” the home. I didn’t see anything on freestanding safes.

Had my interest because I need one about 6” taller than any of the standard gun safes I’ve come across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    It looks like they specialize in building “in to” the home. I didn’t see anything on freestanding safes.

Had my interest because I need one about 6” taller than any of the standard gun safes I’ve come across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to pick up safe #5 today..while not any taller than the rest, I will not be putting any shelves back into this one for those real.....long guns....

Top Bottom