• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    I remember reading that you are more likely to loose everything in a fire than to theft. So a good fire rating from a reputable company is important.
    Ill vouch for that. I think this is one of the most important considerations along with PLACEMENT within the home.

Most fires start in the kitchen or a centralized area full of electronics etc. I dont believe I have EVER seen an accidental fire start in a bedroom. Kitchens, for the most part, are located furthest from the bedrooms and even in fires that destroy a home 80-90% (before we can get there) its amazing how well (closed) closet spaces survive along with the clothing. Ruined by smoke and water ,yes, but not the heat.

Think about it as layers of clothing, Im going to place my gun in a safe layer, then Im going to layer the safe within a closed closet, which naturally places it furthest from "said" heat source.

And since I breached that subject....todays tip.
    Those newfangled electronic refrigerators. If you have one of the new fancy ones I encourage you to place a smoke detector on the back of it somewhere. I am amazed at how many recent (5 years) fires have been caused by the damn fridge. Those things seem to catch on fire all the time.
    Texas SOT

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    I would look for something heavier than 12 gauge, and always buy larger than you think you need.
    The other option to buying bigger is buying 2, not necessarily at the same time. Separating valuables also buys more time in case of burglary or fire to safeguard half your stuff. I found it was easier to find room in the house for 2 safes rather than 1 big one.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The other option to buying bigger is buying 2, not necessarily at the same time. Separating valuables also buys more time in case of burglary or fire to safeguard half your stuff. I found it was easier to find room in the house for 2 safes rather than 1 big one.

The problems with 2 are one doesn't get opened as often.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Yep.
    The second one is bought because the first one is filled by up.
    Sometimes that's because people just have alot of guns, other times it's because they bought too small a safe the first time.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Yep.
    Sometimes that's because people just have alot of guns, other times it's because they bought too small a safe the first time.
    Some times the amount of holding capacity is based on conventional rifles & shotguns. Adding in pistol grips on the safe contents greatly diminish room.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Yep.

More like, somebody, and I'm not naming any names, decided they needed to move the contents of the safe while they were still contained within it, and had a rather nasty boating accident. Necessitating the replacement of, or addition to, the original.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Whatever you do, you get a clock with beans. I got one in my safe. Works well.
    40649362-D43F-4BBD-AA7B-1A8938680908.jpeg

Attachments

• 40649362-D43F-4BBD-AA7B-1A8938680908.jpeg
      40649362-D43F-4BBD-AA7B-1A8938680908.jpeg
      30.2 KB · Views: 387

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Going to pick up safe #5 today..while not any taller than the rest, I will not be putting any shelves back into this one for those real.....long guns....

Removing a shelf won’t help. From top to bottom they are just to short. If I could find one about 6” taller it would fit and leave a little room for getting the rifle in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Removing a shelf won’t help. From top to bottom they are just to short. If I could find one about 6” taller it would fit and leave a little room for getting the rifle in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one I brought hole today is only 60 in (outside) tall, same as the others. With out a top shelf even my longest rifles will stand without touching the top......but yes, you are correct..........lifting the rifle any at all....you are hitting the top.....

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Properly mount your safe. I.e build it in if possible. Even most expensive ones can be cut into on the top or back with a battery powerd sawsall. Much faster than the prybar attacks in all the videos.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Properly mount your safe. I.e build it in if possible. Even most expensive ones can be cut into on the top or back with a battery powerd sawsall. Much faster than the prybar attacks in all the videos.

How many battery powered sawzall's are you going to burn up trying to get into a Graffunder Safe? Be careful what you say as the door is 1.5" SOLID steel and the walls are 1" SOLID steel.

http://www.graffundersafes.com/products/safes-weapon.html Look under the F class.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Cannon advertises a "lifetime warranty" but they do not honor it. My safe wouldn't open (not electronic) and I called them. They would NOT have somebody come out. Their "lifetime" warranty doesn't mean chit! It's a nice safe for the money but they lied about the warranty! Never did figure out why it wouldn't open but after numerous attempts with several people trying it, it decided to open.
    Edit to add:
    Had it been an "operator" issue, I would have paid the service man. Otherwise I would have expected Cannon to pay. They just flat said "no", they would not have a service person come out.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom