• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 50calRay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    Notice the fear mongering of all the horrible problems our "assault weapons" are causing for law enforcement in Mexico? These people are not letting up. At the least, ALL of us should be pretty paranoid about the near future as I can see this actually passing in 2009 sometime.

Yes sir, I believe they have already started their move on firearm legislation. The media including Fox seems to be reporting just about every shooting they can find...no matter how small and includes hand guns as well.
    Guns International

Towerboss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    you have now....
    not trying to start an argument, but you should really examine the ramifications of that view before deciding that we would be better off as seperate nation. While control of our country by crooked Washington politicians sucks, a ROT would present a whole new set of equally huge problems... :patriot:

Would you mind elaborating on what kind of problems you can think of if Texas was a Republic?

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Would you mind elaborating on what kind of problems you can think of if Texas was a Republic?

It would take a novel to go into any kind of detail, but as proud as I am of Texas, I am a realist.
    While Texas may survive as a Republic...IMO we would be reduced to an insignificant existance. There would likely be attempts to absorb Texas into another larger country. No military infrastructure of any significance...no monetary system...no system for reliable tax collection....not enough manufacturing base.....
    If you think we have issues with Mexico now...a separate Texas would be overwhelmed.
    This is a moot point....despite what some fringe groups postulate, Texas has no legal authority to secede any more than any other state. This is a subject that has been beat into the ground for decades.

O.S.O.K.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Hmm, if we declare our independence and reinstate the republic, then the existing military bases will be on our soil. I see no reason that they wouldn't become defacto our military bases. Fort Hood? Sam Houston AFB...

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Hmm, if we declare our independence and reinstate the republic, then the existing military bases will be on our soil. I see no reason that they wouldn't become defacto our military bases. Fort Hood? Sam Houston AFB...

How's that workin' for ya?

What will the Federal Government consider Texas if it should secede? What's the purpose of the U.S. military that occupies these bases? Where do you think their loyalty will lie?

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    Yeah, do you think that all those military folks are FROM TX? They're stationed here. probably somewhere between 5% and 10% are from TX... Now certainly the TX members of the US Military might want to come back. But wow...it'd be a mess.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Hmm, if we declare our independence and reinstate the republic, then the existing military bases will be on our soil. I see no reason that they wouldn't become defacto our military bases. Fort Hood? Sam Houston AFB... :patriot:

Um....that is called theft...taking something that is not yours....

Many on here rail against the Govt seizing anything of ours, but think it is ok to steal whatever we find useful from them? there are 49 other states that have a stake in the ownership of those bases...what about them?
    You ever hear of Guantanomo Bay, Cuba? Castro took over and we said, stay off our base....dont care if its in your country.

If i am a guest at your home and you walk up and say, "get out of my house", does that make my suitcase and belongings yours to keep?

This has been argued over and over and over....
    As I stated before. I am as pround a Texas as anyone, but...there is no legal precedent that will allow Texas to ever secede. There is no law that makes it legal. We fought a civil war over this issue....we lost.
    And anyone who thinks it would be great to have a separate republic is simply ill informed.....granted it is a romantic and forward thinking point of view, but it will never happen, barring a complete societal meltdown.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    What going to happen to all the ARs and pistols?

Well...in reality...we do not know.

The gun sellers and gloom and doomsayers will tell you that the end is near and thata ban will happen very soon after Obama takes office. Many people pushing this are gun sellers and stand to profit from the panic. Don't kid yourselves....the gun sellers ARE loving this, just as they loved the Clinton panic buying and the 70 dollar Glock mags that sold in 1995 and on until 2004.

The truth is...we do not know if and when a ban is coming at the moment. Despite the best guessers...its still speculation.

If the assault rifles and hi-cap pistols get banned....your AR or pistol that holds more than 10rds could be worth alot of money. I sold my extra Glock 17 mags in 1996 for 70 bucks apiece.

Again...this too is largely a guess, because since a ban is not in DC right now, we do not know the scope of the ban. It might forbid the selling of these items completely or worse. Again..at this point...its still speculation!

My guess is that Obama will be so busy with the more presing issues and mess he will inherit, a gun ban will be very low on his list of things to do. He might also recall that Clinton's 1994 ban was VERY instrumental in his party losing contol that they enjoyed for some 40 odd years.

In reality, Obama has MUCH bigger players to re-pay before the anti-gunners. The economic issues he faces in 09 are TEN TIMES more pressing than any that Clinton faced before.

My guess is that IF we see a ban at all...it will happen much farther down the road...if it happens at all. A sudden up-tick in school shootings or other gun crimes MIGHT give way to Obama accelerating a ban, but other than that, I really think he knows it could cost him a Congress to work with in 2010 and he will have plenty on his plate to keep him busy and it probably will not happen.

Agian..my theory...like the musings of everyone else...is still nothing more than a guess.

All of this aside...if you own any extra hi-cap pistols or hi-cap rifles and were thinking of selling them...I'd hold off, unless you're in dire need for cash. They MIGHT be worth alot more if you wait.

Me? I am not hoarding or buying any of those inflated ARs or AKs but am slowly buying a little more ammo than normal and will NOT be selling any of my older guns thatI don't shootvery much, like my 96 Beretta and Mini-14. They COULD be worth alot more later on. Does not cost me to hang onto them for a little while.

Thats my take...for what its worth...

- brickboy240

rrent

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    brickboy240 --- I'm doing the same ---buying a little extra ammo, a hi-cap mag here and there.

you mentioned:

A sudden up-tick in school shootings or other gun crimes MIGHT give way to Obama accelerating a ban

I don't think we'll see more shootings, but greater nation-wide main-stream media reporting of any/all shootings as a run up to any gun ban.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I do not think a ban will come before the supply has met demand, so all those folks paying premium right now are going to be stuck with an expensive gun.

I also think in a few months a lot of folks will realize no ban is coming anytime soon, and they bought in a panic, see supply meeting demand as outlined above, and will try to sell before losing any more value in order to make a house payment or whatever.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    They will have to get alot of work done on it between now and January 20. Every bill that does not make it out of congress before the 20th will expire and will have to be reintroduced. And if it is finished before the 20th Bush could either:
    A. Sign it.
    B. Veto it knowing there is no time to get the 2/3 votes to pass it
    C. Pocket Veto it
    The current bill in congress is going no where fast and a new bill will have to be reintroduced come the next session.

Congress Session usually ends just before Christmas. New Congress is seated 01/03. So the timeframe is even shorter than 01/20.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom