• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paradude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    What's the best gun cleaner to use?I use Hoppes but I would like to try some other recommended cleaners.
    Lynx Defense

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I use either Break Free CLP or Hoppes. Pretty standard. I'll pick up other varieties of extra strength bore cleaners now and then for some heavy duty stuff considering I don't have a dry solvent tank available.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Not a solvent, but synthetic motor oil contains plenty of detergents. I've noticed that guns clean up alot easier with motor oil versus Hoppes or FP10.

Lumberjack98

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Katy
    I clean with Brek Free CLP and then Hoppes in the places where it is really gunked up.

I do find that using CLP on all of the areas prone to buildup makes it MUCH easier to clean after the next time I go shooting. Much more so than the standare gun oil I used prior to CLP.

Blue Wonder is fantastic for getting really dirty bbls clean and also removes surface rust without the need for abrasives.

Posit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Like most, I've tried many. Right now, I use Butch's Bore Shine for for powder residue, and Montana Extreme Copper Killer for copper. The Montana is the absolute best I've used for copper; usually don't need a brush, just patches until it comes clean. When I do use a brush, its nylon.

Bought a used rifle a couple of months ago; nastiest bore I've seen. I resorted to JB's bore paste to get most of the fouling out, then finished with the combination above.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I use Hoppes on personal weapons, but I have to use Break Free or CLP on military weapons. I like Break free better though.

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    Recently, I started using foaming bore cleaner for rifles and it works really good. I have used about everything ever sold, but I usually go back to Hoppes and CLP. Usually clean with Hoppes and lubricate with CLP.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Most of the time now, I use Hoppes semi-auto. Sometimes I use Shooters Choice or Hoppes benchrest. I have also been known to use Butches Bore Shine and Blue Wonder. If the copper gets really bad I use some CR-10 or JB bore paste.

rick458

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    La Porte
    I use FP-10, many Q-tips, soft cotton rags, needle, patches, Bore snake, and Sweet's 7.62 for pistols.
    I use Dewey coated rods and brass jags with Sweet's 7.62 on the patches for the Rifles, with FP-10 for wipe down.
    on the Stainless pistols I use Flitz for light polishing and a buffing wheel with white rouge
    for scratches. It works for me

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    Any cheap cleaner like CLP, break free or WD 40 to de-carbonize. I use a Sonicare, [just save the old brush heads], with Eds Red Cleaner for the little parts. Wilson Combat oil for re-assembly. Foaming bore cleaner, then patched with Mother's polymer car wax to ultra clean and polish the bore.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom